16 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

Blizzard Entertainment recently announced its upcoming new game, set in an entirely new universe. Overwatch will offer "pick-up-and-play" first person shooter action, and feature a cast of new heroes for players to meet. Set on a technologically advanced future Earth the game will put players in charge of an international task force struggling to return peace to a war torn world.

“Overwatch is our take on a vibrant, near-future universe with amped-up characters and action-packed team-based gameplay,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “With every new Blizzard game, we look at our favorite aspects of a genre and put our own spin on things. Our goal with Overwatch is to create an awesome FPS experience that’s more accessible to a much wider audience while delivering the action and depth that shooter fans love.”

In front of a live crowd of more than 25,000 BlizzCon® attendees and an expected online audience numbering in the millions, Blizzard Entertainment today announced Overwatch™, a pick-up-and-play first-person shooter featuring an amazing cast of heroes and set in an all-new Blizzard game universe.

The action of Overwatch takes place in a technologically advanced, highly stylized future earth. In a time of global crisis, an international task force of soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and oddities known as Overwatch had come together to restore peace to a war-torn world. After many years, the group’s influence waned, and it was eventually disbanded. Overwatch might be gone now . . . but the world still needs heroes.

With an emphasis on accessibility and pure fun, Overwatch brings Blizzard’s signature easy-to-learn, hard-to-master gameplay to the FPS genre. Harnessing the power of their hero of choice, players will join forces in teams of six and battle each other across a range of futuristic global locations, from the hologram-lit streets of London to a bazaar in the shadows of a high-tech Egyptian pyramid. Every battlefield is iconic and built to highlight each character’s unique abilities, and fights can shift from streets to rooftops to open skies within the span of a breath.

The heroes of Overwatch each bring their own distinct weapons and superabilities to bear. Here’s just a glimpse of the numerous heroes that will ultimately fill Overwatch’s rosters:
  • Tracer, a former British test pilot who shrugs at danger, can execute impossible acrobatic assaults thanks to her ability to teleport, drop energy bombs, and even reverse time.
  • Reinhardt, a hulking German soldier in battle armor, can charge great distances and pin his enemies to a wall or slam the ground with his rocket hammer to knock them off their feet.
  • Hanzo, a bow-wielding Japanese mercenary, has the ability to scale walls with his bare hands, fire off a tracking device that illuminates nearby enemies for his team, and unleash a huge spirit dragon that does grievous damage to all enemies in its path.
  • Symmetra, an Indian architech, manipulates light and energy to shield her allies and damage her enemies—and she can turn the tide of any battle by building a device that instantly transports her teammates to the front lines.
While each hero represents a formidable force on their own, players can amplify their potential by assembling into a well-balanced team and creatively combining powers. No matter which hero or playstyle they prefer, players will be able to team up and accomplish the incredible in Overwatch.

At BlizzCon, Overwatch was fully playable and running on 600 PCs, and attendees there were the first in the world to play it. Gamers at the show were able to select from a current roster of 12 playable heroes and go 6v6 against each other, capturing or defending points and attacking or delivering payloads across three wildly different maps. New heroes and maps will continually be added to the game as development progresses, and beta testing will begin in 2015.

Learn more about Overwatch, including all of the heroes and maps revealed at BlizzCon, and sign up to participate in the upcoming beta test at the official website. Further details about the game will be announced there in the months ahead.

Click over to the site below for more details and a chance to sign up for beta testing.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:36 AM

Does anyone else see this as being basically Team Fortress 2 skinned by Blizzard, then? Or is that simply me being jaded and curmugeonly at this point?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#3 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:43 AM

Yes. TF2 was my first thought as well.
But I kind of like it maybe even looking forward to it..

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 10 November 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

Does anyone else see this as being basically Team Fortress 2 skinned by Blizzard, then? Or is that simply me being jaded and curmugeonly at this point?

No, TF2 is the first thing that popped to my mind. Though I was watching it with some folks who had a blizcon virtual ticket and they have never played TF2 and they seemed interested so maybe there is a market for it. Would still prefer if they just made Warcraft IV but given it's going to be another half decade before Starcraft II is finally finished......Welp, at least when War IV is released I'll be retired and have time to play it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 10 November 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

No, you're definitely right. Add some hats and it's a perfect copy.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3818 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

I was crossing my fingers for Warcraft 4, but got this... booh.. :(
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

When I was reading it... sounded just like TF2.

Maybe it wont suck as bad though? If they slow down movement to acceptable, and remove the stupid hats... it may have a shot.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 November 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

World greatest hat simulator.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 Nox

Nox

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Steam Name:Uncle Bender

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:57 AM

I... want it. Say what you will.
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running OS 10.11.3

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 November 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

I was crossing my fingers for Warcraft 4, but got this... booh.. :(

Warcraft 4 won't come till SC2 is finished, so I wasn't disappointed for that reason. But this is the third game in a row from Blizzard that I have absolutely no interest in, so in that respect it's disappointing.

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

Watched the trailers.

Meh.

I miss the old gritty/serious Blizzard of StarCraft 1 days. The cartoony/silly infection that's pervaded everything they do from WoW just does not do it for me.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3818 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostCougar, on 10 November 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Warcraft 4 won't come till SC2 is finished, so I wasn't disappointed for that reason. But this is the third game in a row from Blizzard that I have absolutely no interest in, so in that respect it's disappointing.
That's also what I fear. Which means it'll be another 2 years before it is announced. At least then they have time to actually come close to release before announcing it, and not do another Diablo III blunder.

Hearthstone was actually fun for a short while IMO, but then it turns into another grind to get the good cards that'll automagically let you win against lower opponents.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#13 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

View PostFrost, on 10 November 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

Watched the trailers.

Meh.

I miss the old gritty/serious Blizzard of StarCraft 1 days. The cartoony/silly infection that's pervaded everything they do from WoW just does not do it for me.

Read my mind!

#14 Nox

Nox

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Steam Name:Uncle Bender

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 November 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

No it ain't. TeamFortress is all dudes, man. White dudes, mostly—with one token black guy. Where're the chicks!?
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running OS 10.11.3

#15 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

TF2 comes to mind immediately but... I think it is a little close mind to see it is a copy. For me Overwatvh seems interesting, it is a 3D moba like LoL and Borderlands mixed.
Characters seems interesting and gameplay too. It is not class based but character based like LoL.

Animation are really cool!
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#16 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

View Postikir, on 11 November 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

TF2 comes to mind immediately but... I think it is a little close mind to see it is a copy. For me Overwatvh seems interesting, it is a 3D moba like LoL and Borderlands mixed.
If that's a MOBA and Heroes of the Storm is also a MOBA, wouldn't that be quite a lack of variety in genres?

What I find peculiar about Blizzard's recent games is how eager they seem to embrace the F2P model. (Admittedly, I think there hasn't been an official word on that yet, but it seems more than likely that Overwatch will also be F2P.)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#17 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

Of course it sounds like TF2, that's the definite team class based shooter. Classes seem more diverse though and a bit more complex when compared to TF2: hxxp://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ppm6g9/overwatch-overwatch