#21 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 November 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

My suggestion, of youre at all concerned about costs, is to wait and see if the GTX 9-series get working in OSX;  the GTX 970 is an absolutely insane value right now (Performs like a Titan, costs 320$).  Id really hate to see you spend the 500$+ on a 'Mac' GPU that is beaten soundly by flashed (midrange) cards that are readily available.

I can't use a wait and see approach.  My computer is dead and this backup laptop sucks donkey balls.  If I had a working computer, then yeah, I'd track the progress of a perhaps eventual arrival of a flashable card.  I need my computer back.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#22 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

Well, if you can limp along on MacDude's loaner 4870 for a while (if he doesn't mind), that might be an option.  

I just ordered a GTX 970 as a reward to myself for the show we just finished.  I have a GTX 760 coming out of my machine that id be willing to part with for an affordable amount of money.  Im relatively certain i have the experience needed to flash it. (I will do some research on that topic tonight). Also available is a Radeon 7850 if that is more your liking.  It's currently in my wife's gaming machine, but i could swap the 760 into hers and flash the 7850 (I KNOW those work under OSX pretty well).  

I'd go... ~175$ + shipping on the GTX 760 or ~120$ + shipping on the 7850.  Both are substantially faster than the 5870 you had.

edit:
Doing some reading, it doesn't appear that you'd even have to flash them; non-flashed, they work just fine, it seems, you just dont get a boot screen, but after the OS loads they work fine.

#23 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

Here I am the hobo that just replaced the GTX480 in my PC with a GTX 750 TI Superclocked. Same speed, quarter of the power usage. But I do have the 680 in the Mac Pro anyway. 480 didn't need replaced, I just felt like I needed to buy a new thing and I leave the thing running folding at home all day so same folding performance 1/4 the energy usage. Win Win. Plus EVGA STIKKKERZ.

The Herp Cat can use the card as long as he likes. It's just been sitting in my basement because I don't throw anything away. Provided the USPS ever gets it to him. Provided it ever leaves my USPS office because old man is old and old and also old and extra old.

There's a dum PC 4870 and that 5970 I hate so very much down there too lol.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#24 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

I really didnt need to replace my 760, either... but i had the hankering for new tech and seeing how redonkulously good the 970 is for the price tipped me over.  And im re-casing the machine, too... my Lian-Li PC-Q30X wasn't small enough.  

Hadron Air, here i come.  I had small-tower envy, i guess.  Gotta compete with that Tiki..

#25 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hadron Air ain't got popsnizzle on my Rosewill LINE-M Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case.

Wait, the other one.......
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#26 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 November 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

Hadron Air, here i come.  I had small-tower envy, i guess.  Gotta compete with that Tiki..
<lifts head>

Huh? What? Compete?

<Begins laying plans for a 4790K and GM200 Titan II>

:P

If you want to get really compact, have you looked at that Raven RVZ01? Silverstone basically copied a lot of Falcon Northwest's layout design and riser card for the Tiki. Pretty nice inside, and now that there's an 80 Plus Gold 600W PSU option available in SFX size, you can cram some serious popsnizzle into a small space.

View Postmacdude22, on 05 November 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Plus EVGA STIKKKERZ.
This is the real reason I love EVGA. I claim it's their stellar support, but... it's the stickers.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 November 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

The Herp Cat can use the card as long as he likes. It's just been sitting in my basement because I don't throw anything away. Provided the USPS ever gets it to him. Provided it ever leaves my USPS office because old man is old and old and also old and extra old.

::harumph::  I'll have you know that I am old man myself.  ::looks the impertinent whippersnapper up and down like an undertaker taking a mental measurement::  That is the most insensitive Gerontophobic slur I've heard all day.  Its the haters like you that make postal workers shoot themselves to pieces.  You walked into that office with a youthful sneer on your wrinkle free puppy dog face and startled the hell out of him.  Now awake, he was forced to sit there on his boiling hemorrhoids like a mother hen while your clear phlegm free voice, piping and cracking like a pimply teenager, make demands of his rapidly draining time and energy.  You sick little monkey.  You don't care that the neighbors dog poops on his lawn, you don't care if his pants won't stay up, you don't even scream at your TV set for criminy sake.  Yet here you are managing his dwindling resources like you were the boy Pharaoh with your firm supple buttocks smushed into your golden throne as if it were a country boy in a pie eating contest!

If my pants would stay up I'd come over there and slap some age old wisdom into you boy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:53 PM

And that's when they slowly started chasing me on their rascals officer. :teehee:

#29 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:21 PM

<Has a mental image of tBC chasing macdude on a rascal>

L O L
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#30 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

Re-casing and upgrade to GTX 970 complete.  The Hadron Air was actually pretty easy to work in, considering how tiny the case is, and the fans on the PSU and case are whisper quiet.  

Let me know if you're interested in the GPU's, TBC.  

According to this:  

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1440150

The GTX 7-series works out of the box without flashing, you just dont get a boot screen.  If you can live without, i'd recommend going that route rather than paying the Apple Tax on a 500$+ already-obsolete GPU.  

If you want to run 10.10, you can even use the 9-series out of the box, it seems.

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

I appreciate your offer Tetsuya, that's very cool of you.  I don't want to commit to this but I very much appreciate having this as an option.  As yet I don't even know if it's the card.

Damn I love this forum.  ::staggering::  I love you guys!  ::deposits a six pack and a pizza on the floor::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

We don't want your turd and 6 sprays cat. No sir. Don't want your spray at all.

View PostTetsuya, on 07 November 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

Re-casing and upgrade to GTX 970 complete.  The Hadron Air was actually pretty easy to work in, considering how tiny the case is, and the fans on the PSU and case are whisper quiet.  

Let me know if you're interested in the GPU's, TBC.  

According to this:  

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1440150

The GTX 7-series works out of the box without flashing, you just dont get a boot screen.  If you can live without, i'd recommend going that route rather than paying the Apple Tax on a 500$+ already-obsolete GPU.  

If you want to run 10.10, you can even use the 9-series out of the box, it seems.

pixxxxxxxx of the air, want to see what it looks like in use.

#33 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 07 November 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

pixxxxxxxx of the air, want to see what it looks like in use.

HWC does really great video case reviews, and they have one on the Hadron Air
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#34 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

Pics will be forthcoming.... soon™.  I have to take a trip to microcenter to replace to the two top exhaust fans - EVGA used a stock sleeve-bearing model that moves plenty of air, but has this... really annoying click/burr (almost like a HDD when the read heads are moving, but slightly louder and continuous) - it isnt even very loud - typical volume level coming out the speakers will cover it up, but when i CAN hear it, it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  

Apparently its an issue on some batches of the Hadron; rather than RMA the thing and dicker with EVGA, im just going to replace them with a nice liquid bearing set of fans that will move more CFM anyway and be even quieter.  And maybe i can find one with some LEDs in it to give the case some bling.  Or not.  Still unsure.

#35 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

Got some very nice fans from a company called H.E.C., branded as Cougar, which i'd never heard of.  German, apparently - but the reviews were all stellar and the price was right (~15$ each for a 300-1500rpm PWM fan, with nice liquid suspension bearings).  Extremely happy with them so far, they are nearly silent until they spin up past 1350 RPM, which they have yet to do in actual operation.

Only downer is i have to order a PWM Y-cable, because the MoBo only has one header and Microcenter doesn't carry the Y-splitter for PWM fans (for who knows what reason).   I also have to order a USB-3 20-pin male-to-female extension as well, because the 20-pin cable on the front USB3 ports is insanely short (basically, its engineered for EVGA's mITX boards, and wont reach the header on most other manufacturers boards).  Since the Board has 6 USB 3 and 4 USB 2 on the back, i wasnt worried... so ill just order them at the same time.  

Somewhat bad news for TBC:  my basement tenant got a bonus from one of his long standing clients (he's a massage therapist) and decided to build his fiance a "temporary" gaming rig (she's in the cant-find-a-job-in-her-field holding pattern, with a masters in Biochem, so she intends to build herself a high end rig when she finally gets some work in her field)  that be can later retire to HTPC duty, so he snapped up my Lian-Li case and the GTX 760 that went into it, and is using that as the base, so the card is no longer available.

#36 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

Wahhh Wahhh I live next to a micro center and it didn't have the one thing I needed.

Actually, If i lived near a micro center I probably would be living in a cardboard box.

Lost your house eh? Gambling, Alcohol? Cocaine?

Nope, couldn't stop buying video cards and Wireless routers at micro center.

#37 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

I was seriously considering not ordering the 20-pin extension.  I almost never used the front ports on the Lian-Li case, and on the Air, they are on the "left" side of the case, so they are actually pointing at a wall because of how i have the case positioned.  But since im ordering the Y-connector for the PWM fans, i might as well just get them both.  

Funnily enough, GPUs are the *one* thing i'd never buy at Microcenter.  They're always full MSRP or higher.  Its almost the only computer part where that is true.  Their CPUs are always on steep discounts (80 bucks off an i7), they have a bundle deal with motherboards + CPUs (40$ off), deals on RAM (cheaper than MSRP, +10$ off if you buy it with a MoBo) and HDDs are cheap.  But GPUs are always full MSRP or higher.

#38 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 November 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

Somewhat bad news for TBC:  my basement tenant got a bonus from one of his long standing clients (he's a massage therapist) and decided to build his fiance a "temporary" gaming rig (she's in the cant-find-a-job-in-her-field holding pattern, with a masters in Biochem, so she intends to build herself a high end rig when she finally gets some work in her field)  that be can later retire to HTPC duty, so he snapped up my Lian-Li case and the GTX 760 that went into it, and is using that as the base, so the card is no longer available.

That's cool Tetsuya, thanks again for offering it up.  

In News of the Unexpected, I discovered that I had Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in an Apple App Store cloud so I thought, "What the heck" and downloaded it onto this laptop.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it runs great on this little thing.  The fans whirl like little Dervishes but this thing handles it like a boss.  I've never gamed on a retina screen, it provides the most crisp non jaggy game imagery I've seen.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#39 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 November 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

That's cool Tetsuya, thanks again for offering it up.  

In News of the Unexpected, I discovered that I had Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in an Apple App Store cloud so I thought, "What the heck" and downloaded it onto this laptop.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it runs great on this little thing.  The fans whirl like little Dervishes but this thing handles it like a boss.  I've never gamed on a retina screen, it provides the most crisp non jaggy game imagery I've seen.

You start getting above 200 ppi and you don't even need anti-aliasing. It's awesome.

If only one could game in 5K without a $2000 monitor and $3000 GPU only to get 18 FPS. Maybe in a couple more years.

Eric5h5:

#40 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

My recommendation is still (if it is the GPU... And hasnt that loaner arrived yet?!) firmly on the side of "get a PC card and live wihout a boot screen" rather than pay an exorbitant price (500$+ ) on a GPU that is already obsolete, when you could spend nearly the same amount (530$ or so) on the fastest GPU on the market (GTX 980), which works in 10.10 (if youre running 10.10) or half that or less on a GTX 760, which will still max out everything at 1080p, and works in 10.7 and later.  Or if you e got 10.10 and dont game at anything more than 1080p, score yourself a GTX 970 for ~340$ - nearly a Titan in performance.

An, i also ( i think) have a an old PCIe nVidia GeForce 7300 GT feom my first-gen Mac Pro downstairs, that you can just have, to have a backup Mac-Booting native card.  Its just sitting in a box.  Yours for the price of shipping, as i have no use for it at all.