220 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm on my wife's computer because my other computer died on me.  I was cleaning behind the desk it sets on and accidentally hit the power switch to the surge suppressor it was plugged into.  No problem right?  I just turned everything back on, should have been good to go.  Well it didn't go.  You can hear the start up chime but the monitor never came on.  I swapped in another monitor that I know works but it won't light either.  I swapped video ports with each monitor but no love.  Now the thing is... the computer is running.  I hit return on it and entered my password so now I can see and read the hard drive from the sick computer on my wife's computer over the network.

I am very frustrated trying to find my LicenseKeeper data (just logging into my img account took an hour of screwing around).  It is located at [Your Home Folder] > Library > Application Support > LicenseKeeper  but what makes that so tough is the way stupid Apple hid the Library folder!  If I'm actually on the computer I would hold option while clicking on the Go menu.  I don't have that menu when I'm looking at the window that is showing me my hard drive on the sick computer.  

How the hell do I get into my hidden Library folder over the network??  I need this file in order regain access to all my passwords.

Also what do you think is wrong with my computer?  I don't have another video card to swap in.  am I stuck taking it to Apple?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

I can't really help you with the getting into the Library folder, but I can help with the hardware side of things.

The computer definitely works, it just isn't outputting anything to the screen?

Sounds to me like the GPU is fried. Luckily it's not the power supply (that is a bitch to change on the Mac Pro). If you have money to spend then I'd recommend either the Radeon 7950 ($500), or GTX 680 Mac Edition ($650). The 680 is the fastest card available for the Mac Pros, and the 7950 is only a tiny bit behind it in performance. Both cards should have no problem maxing every game at 1080p 60fps.

Alternatively, I'm sure you could find a 5870 on eBay (Apple no longer sells them on their site), but they don't go for cheap (I've looked into picking one up for my 2008 Mac Pro). I'd recommend just spending the extra $150 or so and getting the 7950 over the 5870.

If you want to go the most cost efficient route, you could purchase a flashed graphics card (a formally PC GPU that has a Mac EFI flashed onto it). I've never used one, but other people on the forum have reported success with them. MacVidCards seems to be the most popular seller of flashed cards. They offer pretty good value compared to the dedicated mac cards (flashed 7970 for $350 - which is roughly equal in performance to the GTX 680).

If you aren't sure about a certain card's performance, you can just post here and I can compare it to the older cards (like the 5870). If you are looking for something as good or better then your 5870, then I would look into getting one of the following cards (if you go the flashed route)

Nvidia:
  • 500 series: GTX 570 and up
  • 600 series: GTX 650 Ti Boost (The Boost card is significantly faster then the normal 650 Ti) and up
  • 700 series: GTX 750 Ti and up
AMD:
  • 6000 series: 6950 and up
  • 7000 series: 7850 and up
  • R9/R7 series: R9 265 and up
Both AMD and Nvidia have re-branded many cards over the last few years, so you'll sometimes get much better value from purchasing an older generation card - it'll offer identical performance. For example: The Radeon 7970 got re-branded to the R9 280X. On that MacVidCards store, he sells the 7970 for $350, and the 280X for $600. The 7970 is essentially an identical card, and as such is the much better buy.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 November 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

How the hell do I get into my hidden Library folder over the network??  I need this file in order regain access to all my passwords.
I think the easiest way to open to this folder would be to use the "Go To Folder…" option in the "Go To" menu. Mount the home folder in question as network drive, select that menu item (or press cmd+shift+G), drag and drop network drive in the text input line to get the path and add "Library".

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

You got a mac pro. I can mail you my old apple supplied 4870 if you want it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

Ahh, since we just had this problem crop up twice at the show i just finished up yesterday...

you swapped monitors.. but did you try differen't CABLES?  We had two HDMI > DVI cables go teats up on us.

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

Unhiding the Library over the network is easy peasy. Open your home folder when connecting over the network. It should be mounted as a network volume on your desktop. I'll assume for the sake of example it's called "tBClitterbox." Also, open the Terminal.

Now, in the Terminal, type this:

chflags nohidden /Volumes/tBClitterbox/Library True

Hit enter and the Library will materialize and be available to muck about with. If it bitches and doesn't cooperate, do the above command with "sudo" in front of it to show it who's boss.

---

As far as attempting to get video back.

The first two things to try are different cables as Tetsuya suggested, and a different monitor if one is available, as you already have.

After that, try an SMC reset. First remove the power cord from the Mac Pro and wait at least 15 seconds, then plug it back in and start up.

Still no video, reset the PRAM (start up with Cmd-Opt-P-R, wait for a second POST chime).

Still no video, you could try an RTC reset. There should be a little reset button located near your battery on the motherboard (PCIe card might be blocking it). Press that for one second and try again.

If all that fails, you could try moving the graphics card to slot 2. That'll tell you if the graphics card is fried or you've got a problem with the PCIe backplane.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

OK, thanks for the comments, they've given me a plan of attack.  First off the monitors each have their own cables, though they did share an adaptor that Apple sent with the Mac Pro.  I'll order an adaptor now and take Macdude up on his offer.  Macdude's package will arrive before Apples and I'll test it with the new card, if it fixes the problem I'll see if I can cancel the adaptor order, if not then I'm just out a couple bucks on that.  If the new card fixes the problem I'll order Snakes recommended Radeon 7950.  When the 7950 arrives I'll send Macdude's card back.  Meanwhile I'll try out Janichsan's suggestion.

What a pain in the ass this is.  I need to set up this laptop to be my busted computer bunker in case this happens again.

And thanks again.

Edit:  I'll try what Frost said too and store that info even if I don't need it all this time.  Good knowledge to have around.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

chflags nohidden /Volumes/Monstro/Library True gives me a "No such file or directory" error.  sudo didn't help that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 03 November 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

I think the easiest way to open to this folder would be to use the "Go To Folder…" option in the "Go To" menu. Mount the home folder in question as network drive, select that menu item (or press cmd+shift+G), drag and drop network drive in the text input line to get the path and add "Library".

This worked, thanks!  You have my permission to kick Frost in the pants... though you might want to get his permission too as he is probably packing and only feet away from a back up pistol.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

What about just goto on /Volumes/Monstro/Library ?

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 November 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

chflags nohidden /Volumes/Monstro/Library True gives me a "No such file or directory" error.  sudo didn't help that.
I discovered the problem: I haven't had enough coffee.

Drop the "True." I was confusing it with another Terminal command. That should have been:

chflags nohidden /Volumes/Monstro/Library

If it still doesn't work it may just be your mountpoint is different. Type

chflags nohidden 

and then drag your Music or Pictures or some other top level home folder item to the blank spot in Terminal. Terminal will fill in the appropriate path automatically. Then backspace over Music or Pictures and type Library and hit return. That'll definitely do it.

You could also connect your Mac Pro via FireWire or USB and do Target Disk mode (hold T at startup). Even if you have an alternate workaround, I'd highly recommend using the chflags route. It permanently (at least until your next OS update) unhides the user Library so you can navigate to it normally. For future reference, if you're actually on the computer in question and not on the network, all you have to type is:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

and that'll unhide the user Library always on any machine.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 November 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

OK, thanks for the comments, they've given me a plan of attack.  First off the monitors each have their own cables, though they did share an adaptor that Apple sent with the Mac Pro.  I'll order an adaptor now and take Macdude up on his offer.  Macdude's package will arrive before Apples and I'll test it with the new card, if it fixes the problem I'll see if I can cancel the adaptor order, if not then I'm just out a couple bucks on that.  If the new card fixes the problem I'll order Snakes recommended Radeon 7950.  When the 7950 arrives I'll send Macdude's card back.  Meanwhile I'll try out Janichsan's suggestion.

What a pain in the ass this is.  I need to set up this laptop to be my busted computer bunker in case this happens again.

And thanks again.

Edit:  I'll try what Frost said too and store that info even if I don't need it all this time.  Good knowledge to have around.

y you no have 14 macs laying around like me battle face. I should go down to the basement and brave the spiders to find that kard now.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#13 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 November 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

This worked, thanks!  You have my permission to kick Frost in the pants... though you might want to get his permission too as he is probably packing and only feet away from a back up pistol.
I am actually not near a back up pistol, but there is a readily available back up tomahawk (SOG Fasthawk) in one of my office desk drawers and I have no problems going Iroquois on Janichsan if he gets an errant foot.

Eric5h5:

#14 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostFrost, on 03 November 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

I am actually not near a back up pistol, but there is a readily available back up tomahawk (SOG Fasthawk) in one of my office desk drawers and I have no problems going Iroquois on Janichsan if he gets an errant foot.

Posted Image

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

BATTLE CAT USPS SAYS YOUR ZIPCODE IS WRONG AND WONT LET ME PRINT POSTAGE BUT I GOOGLE THE ADDRESS AND IT SAYS IT"S RIGHT WAT DO CHIMICHANGA

#16 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 03 November 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

Posted Image
This Angelfire advertisement brought to you by the IMG Moderating Team.

Eric5h5:

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostHansi, on 03 November 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

What about just goto on /Volumes/Monstro/Library ?

Posted Image

View PostFrost, on 03 November 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

I discovered the problem: I haven't had enough coffee.

I think I'll deliver that kick in the pants myself Janichsan.  ::tBC packs his big shoe::

View Postmacdude22, on 03 November 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

y you no have 14 macs laying around like me battle face. I should go down to the basement and brave the spiders to find that kard now.

Jump to 1:20 for the punchline but watch the whole thing because it's full of grins.

View Postmacdude22, on 03 November 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

BATTLE CAT USPS SAYS YOUR ZIPCODE IS WRONG AND WONT LET ME PRINT POSTAGE BUT I GOOGLE THE ADDRESS AND IT SAYS IT"S RIGHT WAT DO CHIMICHANGA

Maybe that explains why my wife always has to call the police to come find me and bring me home.  OR MAYBE YOUR SOFTWARE IS FLUMMOXED!  IT CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostFrost, on 03 November 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

You seem to believe I would give you the chance to use that tomahawk before (or after) my foot connects to your nether region... :P

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#19 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:52 AM

My suggestion, of youre at all concerned about costs, is to wait and see if the GTX 9-series get working in OSX;  the GTX 970 is an absolutely insane value right now (Performs like a Titan, costs 320$).  Id really hate to see you spend the 500$+ on a 'Mac' GPU that is beaten soundly by flashed (midrange) cards that are readily available.

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:25 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 November 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

My suggestion, of youre at all concerned about costs, is to wait and see if the GTX 9-series get working in OSX;  the GTX 970 is an absolutely insane value right now (Performs like a Titan, costs 320$).  Id really hate to see you spend the 500$+ on a 'Mac' GPU that is beaten soundly by flashed (midrange) cards that are readily available.
This. GK110 cards have trouble running in Mac Pros due to their really high power draw. The new GM204 GPUs can push frames like a GK110, but with the same or less power draw as the existing Mac GK104 cards (680, K5000). If someone can flash Maxwell cards for Mac Pros, that will be stupidly awesome.

Eric5h5: