Pre-Sequel tips, questions, and bug reports.

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 October 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Did you accidentally open a moonstone chest? I did that and it ate 40 moonstones. It needs a damned warning before it does that. OH a neat looking chest. NOOOOOOO MIEN MOONSTONES.

I open every freaking thing!  Holy Mother of Lara Croft, there are chests out there that will tomb rob you back??  To quote Mr. Torque, "IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!"

Now I'm numb with shock.  I just got bumped down a notch on the food chain.  This will not bode well for them.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#22 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 October 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Did you accidentally open a moonstone chest? I did that and it ate 40 moonstones. It needs a damned warning before it does that. OH a neat looking chest. NOOOOOOO MIEN MOONSTONES.

I don't recall seeing one of these moonstone chests yet (still relatively early in the game though). Do recall where the one you encountered was? I'd like to make sure I can at least go "hmmmm... should I?" before i go "WTH?!"

#23 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Anyone running this game at or near the min requirements? In addition to waiting for the price to drop, I have to also acknowledge that my iMac barely meets these reqs.

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

I've got a Mac Pro and I've got everything on high so it's not a good comparison.  For me the game map always starts with lots of laggy moments frozen for a second at a time while some sort of computing or data transfer is being waited on.  After the first minute I get normal feeling responses from the game.  I'm sure that is going to be a lot worse for an iMac, so you will have that to look forward to.  

Any other Mac Pro users getting lag at the start of a map?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

It's not that much worse for an iMac at least if you have a fairly recent one like I do. (On the other hand I'm uncertain it'd benchmark well on a 5k iMac at its native resolution :P)

Yes, I do get a little bit of micro pauses when I start a level but as with a Mac Pro they don't last. I actually encounter more smoothness than I do that in my recent experience... In fact on the technical side Bordlerlands The Pre-Sequel seems better than Borderlands 2 for me including with .. yes.. yes.. the sound support... (which I'll spare you the details of)..

But yeah unless you have a really old iMac perhaps then you should be fine. Need to be a little more specific. I mean, if you have a Core 2 Duo iMac I think you are well below the requirements. :cool: On my late 2009 iMac (specs in my signature) I have a feeling I'd have to dial down the resolution to at least 1600x900 or even 1280x720 to get great performance out of it.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#26 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:34 AM

View PostBifBologna, on 21 October 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

I don't recall seeing one of these moonstone chests yet (still relatively early in the game though). Do recall where the one you encountered was? I'd like to make sure I can at least go "hmmmm... should I?" before i go "WTH?!"

I don't remember where it was. Pretty sure I was 8-10 hours in before I ran into it though. I think I've blocked it from my memory.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 October 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Any other Mac Pro users getting lag at the start of a map?

I get a lot of jittery lag period, even with all the settings turned down. I'd like to say it's maybe the DDR2 memory in this 3,1 Mac Pro but if I boot to windows it's smooth as butter.............
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

I have everything on high running at my native resolution of 1280 x 1024.  But after the initial shaky start it's just as smooth as I want... or at least as smooth as I'm used to.  In BL2 the only moment of flakiness is from the first shot of any weapon, all the other weapons and sounds seem to start fine.  It's just that first shot.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

I found a neat trick to enable you to see the FPS you're running in Borderlands 2, but I wonder if anyone's had time to see if it works in the Pre-Sequel?

In the Finder, click on the Go menu and then press and hold the option key. This will add the Library to the list of things you can open from that menu. Click on Library, and then it will open this normally-invisible Library folder.

From there, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Borderlands 2/WillowGame/Config. In that folder, you'll want to open the WillowInput.ini in Text Edit. Find the [Engine.Console] section and edit the following line right under it:

Change ConsoleKey=Undefine to ConsoleKey=Tilde

Save and quit Text Edit.

Open Borderlands 2, and hit the tilde ~ key. This should bring up a single line console in the middle of the screen.

Type this into that line to see your running FPS:

stat FPS

It will show your running FPS in the top righthand corner.

Also, it will only work until you quit the game. You have to invoke the console by hitting ~ each time you want to see the FPS

I researched these from a combination of PC and Mac resources, and have tested it myself. It has no adverse effect on gameplay. But, if you want to get back to the pre-altered game, just single click on the UNEDITED WillowInput.ini file (BEFORE you change it) and duplicate it, and drag it to your Mac's desktop. Drag it back to replace the edited one if needed.

I use the method to track adjustments to the graphics settings to see what - if anything - they change in the performance of the game.

I'm running a late 2012 21.5" iMac 2.9Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M 512MB (I realize that my video ram is my bottleneck for high texture settings, before anyone says anything. Posted Image

I could be wrong, but the game seems capped at 60FPS, because at lowest res at lowest settings, that's about where it hovers (56-60FPS). Running it at 1080p and everything on & maxed, it runs about 28-32FPS.

Thoughts? I'm just tickled to be able to know what that performance is in this game, because I'm a numbers guy. Posted Image But I'm also curious to see if the Pre-Sequel runs smoother on same hardware.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostIrishman, on 05 November 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

I could be wrong, but the game seems capped at 60FPS, because at lowest res at lowest settings, that's about where it hovers (56-60FPS).
Have you set the "Framerate" option to "unlimited"?

Posted Image

(The shown setting is the default, if I'm not mistaken.)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#30 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 November 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

Have you set the "Framerate" option to "unlimited"?

Posted Image

(The shown setting is the default, if I'm not mistaken.)

Yup. I always play at unlimited.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#31 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

I started this game finally this weekend. Oddly, when I usually play games, my entire weekend goes by in a flash and I'm like "where did the hours GO?!"... but when I was playing this, I was (or felt like) playing f-o-r-e-v-e-r on saturday, then looked at the clock, and only 2 hours had passed. I stared at the clock for awhile and was like 'waaaaaaaaat?'. So I played, for what seemed like ages some more, then got up to go eat dinner, yet it was only 4pm. GAH.

Same thing happened sunday. Felt like I was doing work.

What is it about this game that makes you feel like you have been in it for ages, yet barely any real time has passed at all? It makes me not really want to play the game much, because if I'm getting no where, and feeling like I been everywhere to the moon and back... it just feels off.

Maybe its all the chasing-down-loot that is flying all over the damned place. You know, looting was a pain in BL1, and they kinda improved it in BL2 (but not fully). Then I would figure BLPS would have improved on it more... yet they made it even worse by making everything explode in different directions everytime you open something or kill someone. Who was the dumbfrak game designer who thought that was a good idea?

Maybe thats why I feel like I spend hours and hours, when only ten minutes has gone by?

I've been playing the gunslinger... cause, well... I like pistols and accuracy. Its actually a character developed purely on that playstyle. Although I seriously wish the Showdown special would turn off weapon zoom while using it. It basically forces me to find a good pistol that has no zoom (extremely rare!), just so I can see wtf is going on while I'm crit-shotting a dozen foes in 3 seconds.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#32 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 February 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

What is it about this game that makes you feel like you have been in it for ages, yet barely any real time has passed at all? It makes me not really want to play the game much, because if I'm getting no where, and feeling like I been everywhere to the moon and back... it just feels off.

The not funny except twice in the whole game writing. You're just dreading DREADING the next dialog. Like the dunks watson where I bailed on Fridgidman because I was like right I forgot the writing makes me want to vomit. See ya.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#33 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 09 February 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

The not funny except twice in the whole game writing. You're just dreading DREADING the next dialog. Like the dunks watson where I bailed on Fridgidman because I was like right I forgot the writing makes me want to vomit. See ya.

Haha, is that why you left ;-) Wasn't my stench of pure chaotic wanderings? Normally I'm meticulous in my exploring every nook and cranny and methodically clearing as I move (only to have them respawn on me if I take too long looking around grr).

Most times I kind of tune out what they are saying because its ... sooooo bad. After you left I was running around in circles trying to figure out what this 'timed switch' opened... made me have horrible flashbacks to the days of Marathon where you punch a switch and not hear anything and go 'ok now what the hell did that open, and how long do I got to run there ?!?!?!'.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

I'm enjoying my second play through with Wilhelm.  The writing is not as good as the first two BLs granted, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does for you guys.  I'm mostly there for the fights and the looting and both of those are very good for me.  I love my action skill to death and the epic scope of the landscape is better than ever.  Butt slamming is still fun and very effective, which adds to the fun.  Love to control my jumps with jets of air, it works great for even just moving around, you move faster when you run with jumping and using your control jets to add speed.

The way to loot the compressed air containers is to stand directly over them when you hit your action key.  It's counter intuitive in a real physics world, you wouldn't want to get clocked by the cover, so the natural tendency to open them is from a step away.  Just bend over the suckers and they blow all the loot you can pick up right into your pockets.  I actually like them better because the others require a second action key to pick them up.  So for me they DID improve the looting system.

You got to love the addition of Tiny Tina dialog during the second play through too.

I noticed how you completely avoided the blind switch puzzle fail that is in too many Marathons, I could always see or hear something happen somewhere when I punched one of your blind switch puzzles.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

Hehe yes... when I added them, I tried to add some sort of cue as to what the heck it was for. Nothing as bad as hitting a switch and ... nothing. I've also noticed this game is filled with switches and things you CAN activate, but they are for some far off mission of some sort. Seems that I recall the BL1/2 games wouldn't make those things clickable until you had the mission... so you wern't sitting there clicking over and over going "ok, is this for some stupid hidden loot chest somewhere now?!"

-Fm [1oM7]

#36 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 February 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

You got to love the addition of Tiny Tina dialog during the second play through too.

I wouldn't know, a second play through is more than I can stomach.

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 09 February 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

I wouldn't know, a second play through is more than I can stomach.

Good lord!!  And this is from a man who listens to George Noory!  Take it back!!  I cut you!  I cut you BAD!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

To be a bit honest... tiny tina rrrrreeallly got on my nerves in BL2... I think I never finished that DLC because of that :-(

-Fm [1oM7]

#39 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:31 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 February 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

Good lord!!  And this is from a man who listens to George Noory!  Take it back!!  I cut you!  I cut you BAD!!

How else will I know about Planet X causing earthquakes because of alien experiments? If you have a more reputable news source Id like to see it.

#40 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:58 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 February 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

To be a bit honest... tiny tina rrrrreeallly got on my nerves in BL2... I think I never finished that DLC because of that :-(
Boo to you, Sir. Boo to you…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"