Are you actually going to buy The Sims: Vacation?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you going to buy The Sims: Vacation? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you going to buy The Sims: Vacation?

1. Yes (8 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. No (22 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dave

Dave

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 10:11 AM

Does anyone else think these series of games is getting a little old?  I know it's easy to port, but who is really interested in this game?  I only bought the SIms and its first expansion pack, after that it got really old, the only real difference in the expansion was new objects, houses, people, etc. nothing really changing the gameplay that dramatically.  Anyway, a simple yes or no would be nice.

P.S. I would like this to be a poll, options: yes or no.

#2 crazy_8

crazy_8

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 10:57 AM

yeah its getting old

I bought the Sims game when it was released and it was quite enjoyable but the novelty has just worn off. Does it matter that they are in the Bahamas, a strip club or a garage...its all the same to me in the end. Never bought the expansion packs though, guess it just seemed like a waste of money.

I guess I got bored of locking my sims in a room and watching the chaos...hehe

#3 osxrocks

osxrocks

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 11:01 AM

I'd first have to buy the Original Sims then  :razz:

#4 GMAtom

GMAtom

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 11:43 AM

It may seem a bit old to some gamers, but sales-wise The Sims and it's expansion packs are still outselling most all other games on the Mac.

The revenue from Sims expansions likely helped Aspyr pay to license games like MOH:AA, Return to Wolf, and JK2.  So even if you are bored of The Sims, be glad there are a TON of people out there still buying it, it allows Aspyr to bring even more games to the Mac.

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 June 2002 - 12:13 PM

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.  Sounds like someone is trying to justify their disappointment  that the mysterious "Track 1" turned out to be Vacation and not [fill in name of desired game here.]

>I know it's easy to port, but who is
>really interested in this game?

The people who buy it?

Seriously, every gamer in IMG's forums could band together and unanimously declare that they will never buy another Sims game again, and it would be a drop in the bucket compared to the number of people who actually buy and play Sims games.

>the only real difference in the expansion
>was new objects, houses, people, etc. nothing
>really changing the gameplay that dramatically.

I didn't play Livin' Large, but Hot Date (the only Sims expansion I own) was fun.  The downtown area is like a big sandbox that you can play with.  The new actions and the dating dynamic were fun as well. ("Do I make my move now, or should I just buy her an ice cream cone and bide my time?")  If you were to buy just one expansion, I personally think that would be the one to get.

Will I personally shell out $30 for Vacation?  Probably not.  But to me this thread isn't so much a poll as it is an excuse to vent.  Am I wrong?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#6 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 12:31 PM

Can I get an 'Amen' for Matt?

Amen.
I live in Mexifornia.

#7 Dave

Dave

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 12:47 PM

Will I personally shell out $30 for Vacation?  Probably not.  But to me this thread isn't so much a poll as it is an excuse to vent.  Am I wrong?

I'm sorry, I guess I got confused.  I thought the forums were a place to put our opinions, our curiosities, and feelings towards Mac games.  But I guess I'm wrong I'll remember to shut up when I have an opinion next time.  (btw this is supposed to be sarcastic).

And also, it doesn't have to be a poll, I just want to hear people opinions on the matter.

#8 Carter

Carter

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 01:12 PM

Amen brutha Matt!

#9 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 01:20 PM

Dave, to answer your question, no I won't be buying Sims Vacation. I bought the original Sims game the same day I bought Deus Ex, and did not get any enjoyment out of it whatsoever. In fact if anybody wants to buy my copy, I'll gladly sell it for... ten bucks, plus the mailing fee.

Yes, I'm also dissapointed that Track One is another Sims variation, however it's probably necessary for the popularity and the overall good of Mac gaming. The more diversity there is in the Mac gaming market, the more people it will attract (and the more fun we can have).

Finally, let's all step back, take a deep breath, and calm down a little. Everybody's opinions matter.

#10 Mot

Mot

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 01:32 PM

I also purchased The Sims at the same time I bought Deus Ex, and had no complaints with either one.  I was schizophrenic with those games, I'd play a spurt of one, switch over and play the other, and then repeat.  I don't regret either purchase.  I got tired of The Sims eventually, but I got my money's worth.  The Sims is the best selling game of all time, not to mention its expansion packs have also been selling extremely well.  Hardcore gamers have to remeber that WE are the minority.

Do you know that women play more video games than men,  just that those games are usually card games and The Sims.  Who can possibly blame Aspyr for appealing to that market and making money?  Personally I'd be more surprised if they didn't port Vacation.

#11 Dave

Dave

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 02:35 PM

Do you know that women play more video games than men,  just that those games are usually card games and The Sims.  Who can possibly blame Aspyr for appealing to that market and making money?  Personally I'd be more surprised if they didn't port Vacation.

I never knew that women played more games than men, where did you hear that?  You're probably right if you consider all the games that are available (not just the ones mainly talked about here in the forums).

And btw, I'm sorry if I came off as being mad, I'm not mad, just a little disheartened considering the mods seem to be in favor of this being a pointless rant.  Truth is, I really wanted to know how many people actually still play the Sims.  And thanks for putting the poll up. :)

#12 Carter

Carter

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 02:47 PM

No no no. I don't think it's a pointless rant. I'm sorry I came across that way. I understand where your coming from.

Fact is though it supports all the hardcore games. My sister loves them also. So I put up with them :-).

#13 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 June 2002 - 03:29 PM

I'm sorry, I guess I got confused.  I thought the forums were a place to put our opinions, our curiosities, and feelings towards Mac games.  But I guess I'm wrong I'll remember to shut up when I have an opinion next time.  (btw this is supposed to be sarcastic).
Not to worry, your sarcasm came over loud and clear. :-)

And also, it doesn't have to be a poll, I just want to hear people opinions on the matter.

Perhaps I was a bit testy in my reply.  The tone of your original post made it clear you didn't see the point of another Sims title, which is fair enough.  My point is, we have heard a fair amount of ranting against The Sims in this forum.  Your poll will probably reinforce the opinion that Sims titles are not very popular, when in fact they are.  Some hardcore gamers don't understand the enduring popularity of this series, and polling the IMG forums will not help them understand it better because we are not a representative sample of gamers.

You are certainly allowed to have your own opinion about the Sims series.  I'm sorry if I conveyed the opposite impression.  It's just that I feel strongly that the poll results would be skewed, kind of like when people who visit a PC-centric web site are polled to see if they prefer Windows to Macs.  Because of that I felt obliged to challenge the poll itself.

I've had my say.  Carry on!  :-)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#14 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 03:46 PM

Well,..... the Sims are the highest-selling game of all time. Aspyr would be stupid not to sell anything even remotly related to it.

Now see what happens when everybody plays nice in the forums?

[preparing to be lambasted]

#15 Dave

Dave

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 06:22 PM

Is this where we kiss and make up...?

Just kiddin :)

I guess you're right, I really do hate those polls that ask whether you use a Mac or PC on a site that only covers PC games.

#16 RumbleFish

RumbleFish

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 06:33 PM

Do you know that women play more video games than men,  just that those games are usually card games and The Sims.

Could you elaborate on this for a bit? I think you have hit something very interesting. my girlfriend has never been one to play video games, but she recently finished up a director/flash game development class, and now her intersts in games has grown. A major complaint of her's is concerning all of the violent games out there, and how there are soooo many more games that can be produced.

Are we limited to games that either involve shooting, flying, driving or fighting?
I know that there are games out there that do not fit into these catagories, such as Myst, The Sims, Sim City, Tetris, etc., but the focus does not seem in expanding the type of game out there, just making more "testosterone" games.
Don't get me wrong, "testosterone" games are all I own (justy got GTA3 for my new PS2) but the subject seemed like one that we could delve into,

#17 Mike Y.

Mike Y.

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 08:33 PM

Hey, Fat Bastard.

Sell me your copy of The Sims. I've been dying to play this game but it's too pricey. I'll gladly give you ten bucks for the thing. Or, better yet, if you want to make a straight up trade, I've got Star Trek DS9, which I toyed with for - oh gosh, maybe about an hour. DS9 didn't run very well on my system; it made me nauseated.

I'm guessing that postage would probably cost us about five bucks each. I'll trust you, if you trust me.

Give me a shout.

my e-mail geraldm_younger@telus.net

#18 Mot

Mot

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 09:41 PM

Do you know that women play more video games than men,  just that those games are usually card games and The Sims.
Could you elaborate on this for a bit? I think you have hit something very interesting. my girlfriend has never been one to play video games, but she recently finished up a director/flash game development class, and now her intersts in games has grown. A major complaint of her's is concerning all of the violent games out there, and how there are soooo many more games that can be produced.

It some article that was published about 8 months ago, it stated that there were actually more female gamers than male and the big shocker was that more women played online games then men.  Of course, the majority of these  games were yahoo games like cribbage, solitare,  hearts, and various puzzle games.   The Sims was also considered a big seller towards the female audience.  I knew a LOT guys who were first thrilled that there was actually a video game that thier girlfriends would play and then annoyed because thier girlfriends hogged the computer. :smile:

I've worked in an office environment so I can vouch to the popularity of puzzle games with the female workers.   Not to mention when we were upgrading the Win OS we made the mistake of removing the games.  30 minutes after the first upgrade we got a flood of calls demanding to know what happened to the games.  After that we added to our install check list to make sure the games where there!

As to why there seems to be such a wide divide between games prefered by men and women, thats could be a thread by itself.