19 replies to this topic

#1 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

If I planned on buying Doom 3, which version is best? The boxed windows or mac version, or would the itunes version work just fine?

Also, what about mod support? I've heard there are some decent mods, but what about total conversions that greatly alter the gameplay or add new gameplay elements like vehicle base combat? Plus, isn't there a way to use the doom 3 SDK or level editor without having to use boot camp or crossover?

Thanks.
What is a man?

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

All things considered Doom 3 BFG Edition on windows is probably the best version to get. Updated GFX, Controller support, New missions, etc....

http://store.steampo...com/app/208200/

I've never installed any mods.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 08 October 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

All things considered Doom 3 BFG Edition on windows is probably the best....

To be clear, he would have to Bootcamp that. Not osx-native.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

They asked about the boxed windows or mac version. I just assumed there was a windows box involved. I suppose the MAS version is as good as anything on the mac. Can you even patch the boxed version to the latest version. I didn't look very hard I suppose but I didn't see a 1.3.1 patch available (MAS version). I thought the MAS version was a new sku kind of like the Sim City 4 update.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

RBDOOM3-BFG would probably be the best provided you can get (or compile) a copy. It's the open sourced version of Doom 3 BFG... there's even Mac and Linux versions in the works but not released yet AFAIK. Doom 3 BFG doesn't have mod support but RBDOOM3BFG does. It even has some graphical updates that vanilla BFG doesn't have such as soft shadows. Also, RBDOOM3BFG has OpenGL 3.2 support whereas the old Aspyr port is stuck at 2.x.

https://github.com/R...ns/RBDOOM-3-BFG

In order to install Doom 3 BFG on Mac right now you'd have to first install Doom 3 BFG in Windows and then transfer it over into a RBDOOM3 BFG install that either you compiled yourself or get someone else to do.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#6 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

I've heard of a doom 3 TC called Dark Mod, looks like the thief games. Isn't there a newer version of it that makes it a stand alone game? Or is that restricted to windows and linux?
What is a man?

#7 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

Last I heard it wasn't compiled for Mac however.. someone on their forums has compiled it for Mac.. http://forums.thedar...111#entry302111

OTOH it's standalone for other platforms but not for Mac it seems. Also, goes without saying but it requires vanilla Doom 3 and not any kind of BFG edition.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#8 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

Avoid Doom 3 BFG like the plague, besides the graphics requirements are stupidly high there is no convenient way* to mod it, thanks to Terratexeltexturestreaming or whatever Id Tech Engine 4 uses for rendering.

The old DOOM 3 can be made to look at least as good with the right mods at a fraction of the system requirements.
The new BFG Missions are generelly considerd bad and not worth to be the reason to get it, besides it's optimzed for CONROLLERS, really?! and the new casual gameplay direction received lots of criticism from long term fans.

The best Mac version of Doom 3 is the AppStore version because it does not have any activation DRM.
(But the last time I checked sounds works only with the headphone jack of your Mac).
Lots but not all Mods will work with any Mac version.

For maximung modding the non-BFG PC Steam Version is best.
my 2 cents :)

*see RBDOOM3-BFG
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#9 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

With vanilla Doom 3 and modding you start running into some limitations though perhaps due to it being just OpenGL 2.x supported. Some of the features in sikkmod can't be enabled due to glitches and texture compression can't be with the high res texture pack which jacks up the VRAM requirements. I can't run it at 2560x1440 without it exhausting my VRAM and crashing at some point. I've messed around with that a lot so I know. I've even known a friend who has a new Mac Pro with 6GB VRAM who has run into similar problems and crash issues with that.

There's no way I'd qualify that as having a fraction of the requirements of the leading alternative.

As for RBDOOM3-BFG I haven't actually had a chance to play around with it so I don't know how it stacks up. But I'm going to give it a go once I can get my hands on compiled binaries for it.

As for gameplay well... long time fans criticize Doom 3 one way or another. They weren't happy with it vanilla.. they aren't happy with it modified. They are just miserable... I don't take what they say to heart. With vanilla Doom 3 they whine that it's too dark and the flashlight is inconvenient.... but then they lighten it some and add mounted flash lights and they say "it took the scariness away!" :cool:

Also, there are plenty of mods that require compilation that aren't compiled for Mac... quick example is OpenCOOP the last time I checked.

Lastly, sound in the Mac version is OK. I can't speak for the standard stock sound but OpenAL works fine once enabled in the doom3.aspyr.plist and can be enhanced if one replaces the system OpenAL with OpenAL-Soft.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#10 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

Ok, I see your veto on the requirements if you are running D3 at extreme resolution  - or is it contemporary?

I am still kinda lo-fi guy when it comes to resolutions :)
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#11 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

It just seems to me that the additional features may work better with RBDOOM3-BFG due to it having upgraded OpenGL support (3.2) and having those features added in closer to the core via source code modification rather than via an arms length SDK. I'm not sure they have fixed it so on the Mac one can enable texture compression to help with the high res texture pack mod however (yes it's possible to use that with RBDOOM3-BFG)...

Speaking of resolutions the vanilla Doom 3 also doesn't support aspect ratios beyond 16:9 even with console variable modding. They only support 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 even via r_aspectratio cvar.

So if you have a 21:9 monitor the best you can do is get a stretched 16:9 to 21:9 view. Or pillar boxed 16:9 view... (at least you've got constant image height there) Doom 3 BFG has more support for funky aspect ratios like that.

Also, I don't always demand that I be able to run my games at my monitors "extreme" native resolution.... (not so extreme as 4k or the proposed upcoming 5k Retina iMac I might say :P).... But I was even having problems with Doom 3 + sikkmod + wulfen textures at 1920x1080 OS X driver updates seem to have cured some of that though.

I've forgotten to mention with sound I've had it play just fine w/2 channels over an optical cord and also 2-8 channels via HDMI just fine.

There's also another open sourced version of Doom 3 (NOT BFG) out there called Dhewm3 but I'm not sure anything is going on with that. It does have:
  • OpenAL EFX for EAX reverb effects (read: EAX on all platforms) aka EAX 4.0 HD
Which as you all know is right up my alley. It's impossible to enable that with the OpenAL support in Aspyrs version. It also has other stuff like 64-bit support and expansion pack support (RoE) for Mac.

Unfortunatly like RBDOOM3-BFG there's no precompiled binaries available anywhere that I can see.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#12 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

I think when it comes to performance, my main concern is how clear it looks, it doesn't have to be bumped up to nearly 2k but I still want it to run well enough on a quad core computer with 512 mb of vram like my imac has.
What is a man?

#13 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Well I guess you should be fine so long as you don't install the high res texture pack considering that right now requires one to turn off texture compression which is what kills it. 512MB VRAM simply wont cut it at any resolution there.... You can consider that "beyond ultra".
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#14 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 10 October 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

Well I guess you should be fine so long as you don't install the high res texture pack considering that right now requires one to turn off texture compression which is what kills it. 512MB VRAM simply wont cut it at any resolution there.... You can consider that "beyond ultra".

Even for a radeon HD 6750M GPU?
What is a man?

#15 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

If it only has 512MB of VRAM if you load the Wulfen textures you'd probably get texture thrashing (manifests itself as pauses) and or VRAM exhaustion and then crashing. Ultra by itself should work fine though.... 512MB was the requirements for Ultra in Doom 3. These days 512MB has gotten long in the tooth..
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#16 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

So Wulfen textures and Sikkmod isn't configurable to the point where it could run on that type of card? Whether theirs low, or high settings on lighting, textures, etc?

Plus, wasn't there a Descent TC mod for doom 3?
What is a man?

#17 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

That's not the point of those textures. The point of them is if you have enough (VRAM) that you can max it out further than what came with the game... (remember.. 512MB is the requirement for Ultra by itself). Then you can go beyond Ultra settings.

If you installed it and then lowered the settings the texture pack wouldn't even be applied particularly if you turn on texture compression. Even if you could it would defeat the purpose of those texture in the first place lowering their quality... You'd be back to stock quality or worse. I'd suggest just turning on Ultra.. On the other hand you can run the sikkmod without Wulfen textures and configure everything about that (soft shadows and SSAO seems buggy with Aspyr's port). Wulfen textures is just icing on the cake if you have enough VRAM for it.

On my side with 2GB VRAM it seems that perhaps I can run it but not at the full 2560x1440 of my monitor at least not in the levels that have teleporters in them. It crashes on me... with a memory allocation error. If I re-enable texture compression they don't load at all last time I checked.

On my previous GPU with 512MB VRAM it simply crashed when I tried enabling them.... I always just ran that with the sikkmod alone. For others with newer cards but same VRAM size it worked but slow.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#18 JohnB

JohnB

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:40 PM

quick question: I have the app store version of Doom 3. i used to have Doom 3 (the boxed version) back in the day.... anyways, I used to be able to get OpenAL working (well, sometimes) for surround sound in Doom 3. I can find a prefs folder in Application support/Doom 3 and a plist for macappstore.doom3 ....but no doom3.aspyr.plist. Did they take it out ? Maybe Open AL back then wasn't so good? maybe they figured "Ah, well, stereo sound's fine, right. After all, who has surround speakers and a Mac? I took a look at Open-AL Soft but don't have a clue.....
so...is this worth pursuing or not?
thanks

John B

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

You should PM Smoke_Tetsu, he is the Mastah of sound.  He hasn't been around lately so that's the best way of getting in touch these days.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostJohnB, on 28 June 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

quick question: I have the app store version of Doom 3. i used to have Doom 3 (the boxed version) back in the day.... anyways, I used to be able to get OpenAL working (well, sometimes) for surround sound in Doom 3. I can find a prefs folder in Application support/Doom 3 and a plist for macappstore.doom3 ....but no doom3.aspyr.plist. Did they take it out ?
I can't check this myself, since I don't have the MAS version of Doom 3, but due to the quarantining of MAS apps, it could be that the files you are looking for are buried somewhat deeper than you expect, in ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.doom3.appstore or something.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"