Macs getting hot after gaming via bootcamp?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 insane79

insane79

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hi Guys,
  I heard running games on windows via bootcamp makes the macs run very hot? is this true?

Thanks..

#2 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

Don't take this as definitive, it's more of a seat of the pants personal observation type thing but, I haven't noticed my late 2013 iMac running any hotter gaming under Win 8 than it does under OS X. I boot Camp fairly regularly to play Defiance. I generally play for at least one to two hours, occasionally longer and I don't recall ever taking off my headset afterwards and noticing the fans screaming at me.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm pretty sure that gaming in general turns your graphics "card" into an easy bake oven. I can't see any reason why, given the same hardware, the OS would make a difference. Aren't most temp sensors and fans monitored and controlled by firmware on the motherboard?

If it'll help, I'll force myself to play a couple of hours games under both OS X and Win 8 and then check the temps right afterwards. I'll just tell my wife it has to be done. Science and all.

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

It doesn't get any hotter than games under Mac OS X. eg. Borderlands 2 booted to Windows or Mac OS on my MBP gets the fan going real good.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 insane79

insane79

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

View PostBifBologna, on 13 September 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

Don't take this as definitive, it's more of a seat of the pants personal observation type thing but, I haven't noticed my late 2013 iMac running any hotter gaming under Win 8 than it does under OS X. I boot Camp fairly regularly to play Defiance. I generally play for at least one to two hours, occasionally longer and I don't recall ever taking off my headset afterwards and noticing the fans screaming at me.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm pretty sure that gaming in general turns your graphics "card" into an easy bake oven. I can't see any reason why, given the same hardware, the OS would make a difference. Aren't most temp sensors and fans monitored and controlled by firmware on the motherboard?

If it'll help, I'll force myself to play a couple of hours games under both OS X and Win 8 and then check the temps right afterwards. I'll just tell my wife it has to be done. Science and all.

That will be AWESOME, see if you can do it, thanks for the reply as i will be using the same design iMac for my windows gaming.

View Postmacdude22, on 13 September 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

It doesn't get any hotter than games under Mac OS X. eg. Borderlands 2 booted to Windows or Mac OS on my MBP gets the fan going real good.

Thats nice you hear, are you using windows 8.1 64 bit?

Thanks..

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

Windows 7 64-bit. Actually I cap the FPS on borderlands 2 at 30, helps calm the fans down.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

Any hard work will make your Mac hot, no matter the operating system. Gaming is one of the most taxing things, so most likely you won't see much of a difference temperature wise between operating systems.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 September 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Yep.

StarCraft 2 under OSX makes my MacBook Pro start melting the surfaces it's on.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 insane79

insane79

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:34 AM

True gaming is hard on any os but i read that the fan management is bad under windows, is that true?

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

The fans spin up and down as expected on my MBP under Windows 7. Most of the thermal control is handled by the SMC, It doesn't really matter what OS you are running the hardware has certain thermal triggers. You can override this with some applications SMC Fan Control, Lubbos, etc... If you're having issues with the fans spinning up (or spinning down) on a Mac one should try an SMC reset.

That said, Windows 7 (and windows apps) certainly seem less efficient than OS X and similar applications. I.E. Just browsing the web in chome under Windows sometimes will cause the fans to spin up. I think there's a bug or something I read about Chrome on Windows, tick rate that causes it to use more processor than it should.

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

There are a couple of energy saving methods by Apple that aren't supported under Windows, e.g. switching between the integrated graphics and the dedicated GPU, which as a side effect can also lead to a higher base temperature, albeit not to an extreme extent. And even so, the peak temperatures won't be higher under Windows than under OS X, as the temperature management is largely independent from the operating system, as macdude mentioned.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 insane79

insane79

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Interesting, i thought the fan management is dependant on the OS as a lot of people were complaining about their macs running Hot cause the fans come on a higher temperature in windows then osx,
Thanks for the reply guys just want to load winnows for few games like battlefield series & some new games, hope i don't get spoilt & end up sticking with windows gaming :ph34r:

#12 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

View Postinsane79, on 13 September 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Hi Guys,
  I heard running games on windows via bootcamp makes the macs run very hot? is this true?

Thanks..

No. Not par se. At least my MBP does not produce excessive heat. But I also have it on a Laptop stand so that air can circulate from underneath.
If I have the MBP set flat on the table it gets warm to hot, no matter of OS X or Windows.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#13 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

My fan seems to run a lot when I'm using bootcamp for games (17" MacBook Pro 2010).

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:03 AM

Just to toss my 2 cents in here even though the thread is old... I noted when gaming in bootcamp on my mid-2011 iMac that temps were excessive or at least seemed to be versus being in OS X. I did wonder without bothering to look into it online if there was some difference. I did not make any measurements. My system was a lemon with heat issues that lead to its replacement anyway. So it might be a terrible yardstick for this. Nonetheless, I did note some difference on that particular system running Windows 7.

The replacement Apple gave me was a late-2013 iMac that I got from them a year ago. It has none of the heat or resultant issues I experienced with the previous machine but I have not done any gaming in Windows with it although I do have bootcamp installed. Maybe I will bother to take some measurements this time around and report back but no promises as to when. I am not overly fond of rebooting but I do still have a bunch of Windows games to work though and some of them will require that.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell