Hitman Absolution Elite on sale on GMG: but will it work w/ Mac?

hitman absolution steam green man gaming compatibility

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Steam Name:doctorpuppet

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hi all! So I was very excited to see that Hitman Absolution: Elite Edition was on sale on Green Man Gaming (or the Steam redeem code is, at any rate). Steam lists it as a Steamplay title, so I was assuming I could buy the code on GMG, redeem it on Steam, and download the Mac version. I was a little nervous, however, since the Green Man store page (unlike Steam itself) listed it as Windows only.

I contacted GMG support, and they confirmed that it is Windows only. But if all they are selling is, essentially, the Steam code, for a PC/Mac game, how can "their" version drop compatibility? If it were to be downloaded through an entirely different service, I'd understand (e.g. the version downloaded via the Mac App Store wouldn't be PC-compatible, of course, to look at it another way). But it's for the Steam version.

Any further clarification would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone HAS in fact purchased Hitman on GMG and downloaded it via Steam onto their Mac (or in fact not been able to do so). Interestingly, the GMG support guy claimed to be a Mac gamer but was unaware that Hitman had even been released at ALL for the Mac.

Thanks so much.

#2 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

I also noticed, again, that it's the same in the Humble Store. They list Hitman Absolution as Mac and Windows compatible via Steam, but the Elite edition is listed as Windows only, even though, as far as I can tell from the Steam store page, ALL the DLC is Steamplay and thus compatible with both.

I recall the Half-Life bundle being listed as Windows only on Gamefly, but I bought the Steam code there and was able to download it all, no problem. I wonder if DLC/bundles mess with their compatibility rubric somehow?

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

You should get the Mac version, too, when you buy these Steam codes. When a game is SteamPlay enabled, there is no such thing as a platform specific Steam code.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 September 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

You should get the Mac version, too, when you buy these Steam codes. When a game is SteamPlay enabled, there is no such thing as a platform specific Steam code.
This. You don't redeem it for Windows, you redeem it for Steam, and then you can use it on any platform that is supported.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

That's what I thought! But the GMG guy was so insistent, I started second-guessing myself. He even claimed to have "checked" somehow.

I am starting to think DLC messes up compatibility checkers, somehow. There does seem to be a pattern.

#6 insane79

insane79

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

aslong as the game has steam play support it will work..

#7 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks guys. I am pretty close to giving it a shot and buying it, before the sale ends (this weekend, I think). But I also came across this troubling Steam Discussion: http://steamcommunit...35404111587085/

This guy doesn't say where he bought the game/code, but perhaps he had some strange settings/preferences set, or purchased it via a PC first, or who knows.

#8 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Frig. "Out of stock." Guess they ran out of codes! You snooze, you lose.

#9 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

Just FYI if you buy a PC key from a third party vendor it's like buying a Windows version, you can but just be aware it counts as a Windows sale as far as platform and revenues are actuated (even if you unlock the key on a Mac).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hitman absolution, steam, green man gaming, compatibility