#21 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostFrost, on 12 September 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

This is what I've been doing for years and am still doing. Motorola RAZR2 V9x on AT&T GoPhone service for calls, iPod Touch 5 for everything other than calls. Had to add an iPad mini with cellular data for working purposes, but I'm splitting a family plan with family, so cost of that is a totally manageable $15/month.

So if I made it a GoPhone they wouldn't require a data plan? Very interesting! I missed that.

According to their website I wouldn't be able to message pictures or video, which my wife likes to do, but I can live with just text messages. And I would love to ditch this Pantech crap phone. It regularly unlocks itself in my pocket, which can lead to calling someone or navigating to some random screen. One time it unlocked, took a picture of the inside of my pocket, then texted it to my wife.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#22 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 18 September 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

So if I made it a GoPhone they wouldn't require a data plan? Very interesting! I missed that.

According to their website I wouldn't be able to message pictures or video, which my wife likes to do, but I can live with just text messages. And I would love to ditch this Pantech crap phone. It regularly unlocks itself in my pocket, which can lead to calling someone or navigating to some random screen. One time it unlocked, took a picture of the inside of my pocket, then texted it to my wife.
Eh, I just use iMessage on the iPod. I'm within wifi range most of the day.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#23 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

I once had a 3GS unlocked w/ T-Mobile prepaid minutes and an unlimited text plan for $14.95 / mos.

Those were the days

Now, just ignore me.

I'm hideous!

:bleedingeyes:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#24 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Telling ya'll hit up some ting (and also use my referral link because I'm a smurfette). 6 dollars a month per device plus what you use. I usually just leave my cellular data turned off unless I really need it (maps usually). I'm on wifi most of the day and it keeps me from wasting data on dum reddit pics at the bus stop. Just pay for what you use. If you left cellular data turned off all the time your cellular data bill would be a big fat 0.

https://ting.com/rates
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#25 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

I need a solid cell signal though. Skeptical ting et al can deliver.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#26 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

It's just sprint MVNO so if you can get sprint service ting works fine. If you're in a sketchy sprint area, its sketchy ting. Voice roams, data doesn't. I'm in ruralish iowa and generally don't have a lot of problems but YMMV. And that fine Canadian support.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#27 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

The 6 may be the one to get me to upgrade.

I didn't have an iPhone for the longest time but the Mrs insisted as the cars got older, she felt safer with one, etc etc etc. So got myself a beat up, hand-me-down 3GS from my sister a few years ago. But since no one in Canada offers pay-as-you-go cards that don't expire (currently subject to a class action lawsuit in Ontario Superior Court because no other gift cards expire here legally, Consumer Protection Act) we'd put $100 on it yearly and then have Bell steal the remaining $70 worth we hadn't used at the end of a year, we shut that one down. My oldest son has his own 4S.

Me? When my company said they'd pay a bit of a bill I finally went with Koodo (smaller indie carrier) I jumped on the cheapest plan and phone I could, an 8GB 4. 1GB of data and unlimited calling was only $45/month, offset by work, which is more than enough, considering I use about 50MB of data each month and 100 minutes of calling time. Plus there was no monthly contract and over two years I own the phone now (part of your $45/month goes to buying the phone). So, I'd like to get a 16GB 6 (transferring that plan to the new phone) for myself, and then pass the 4 down to the Mrs with the cheapest non-data plan (I think about $20). The youngest boy will get the 3GS for emergencies and letting us know where he is when Bell loses the lawsuit (which they will) and are forced to make pre-paid monies non-expiring.

Koodo won't have the 16GB iPhone 6's in until early October I suspect, but you never know. So, yeah, I'm finally upgrading. The 6 will probably seem like a rocket compared to the 4.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#28 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

I'll upgrade when my 4S dies, and the superior camera in the 6 Plus makes it into the 4.7" model. Oh, and when there's also a 2+ day battery in the 4.7" model.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#29 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

2+ day battery / LTE antenna are mutually exclusive, pretty much.  

If you want your data on all the time, you wont have a 2+ day battery, pretty much ever, on any phone.  

Shut your data off when you're not using it, though, and you can get 2+ days out of just about any smart phone.  I charge my GS3 about.. twice a week.  Because i keep the data off when im not using it.

#30 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

I picked up a 16 GB iPhone 6 (not plus). Really liking this phone. Battery life is about double what my Nexus 4 had, and the phone is a dream to use. Extremely fast, while being light and thin.

I can last more then a full day, while doing somewhat intensive things such as downloading apps, browsing the web, calling etc. I never turn my data off, and brightness is just left at 50%+auto. I take it off the charger around 8 AM, and when it returns to the charger around 10 PM it still has 40%+ remaining
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#31 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

Well, I reserve the right to change my mind, but for now I'm gonna pass on the 6. I went to the Apple Store to use both models... 2 minutes and the 6 Plus was a "hell no." The 6 I want to like so badly, but it's just too big to use comfortably one handed without constantly shifting it around in my hand. The biggest thing that teed me off was I swipe the Notification Center up and down regularly to check weather, etc. on my iPod Touch, and I found the top of the screen was just a tad too far out of reach. So I'd shift it in my hand so it was in reach. But then the bottom of the screen was just out of reach. So I shifted it in my hand again to swipe it up. Moved back to my iPod Touch... Swipe down, swipe up, no problem.

I just... no.

If they made it 4.4 or even 4.5 I think I'd have been okay with it, but they just pushed it too far with the size.

And for reference, I'm a glove size 10/XL, so I don't exactly have small mitts either.

Oh well. Maybe the iPhone 7 will have a smaller model for people who like to mostly use their device one handed. I'm going to stick to my current RAZR2 + iPod Touch setup.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#32 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

Not sure theyll ever make a sub 4.5 ever again.  Im about to get a Nexus 6/Shamu/Nexus X (whatever the name winds up being); the nearly-6" size that is all but confirmed has me a bit irked... Seems too damn big to use one handed... I really like my Galaxy S3's size.. Just big enough to be used one handed.  

Ill probably have to get around my size issues by relying more on voice commands, i guess...

#33 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

Honestly, it's not that big a pain to just use the other hand, but the thing is I use my iPod one handed to check stuff, change music tracks, look something up real quick, respond to a message or whatever while running/jogging/weightlifting, and the 6 had me super-stoked because 128GB means I can fit my entire library on it and never have to choose albums, while still having many GB left over for apps and other stuff.

Having to shift it around in my hand a bunch to use it one-handed though, besides just being a lot less convenient than holding the device in one position and having easy access to the entire screen, is a recipe for getting dropped... I don't want to do that, AppleCare+ or no.

You may be right about them never making anything smaller, but I hope not.

Eric5h5:

#34 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

and then.... Google lost their minds.  Nexus 6 is 650$ off-contract...

sorta defeats the entire intent of the Nexus lineup, which was to provide top-shelf specs at sane prices.  

looks like ill have to see if i can score an invite to a OnePlus One...

#35 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:40 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 16 October 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

looks like ill have to see if i can score an invite to a OnePlus One...

I might be able to help with that, I'll let you know.
:luck:

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#36 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

The iPad Mini 3 has the exact same specs as the Mini 2 - the only differences being a Touch ID sensor and the Gold colour option. Apple got really lazy with that update.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iPhone 6, Apple Watch