#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm slightly surprised that no one has yet created a thread to discuss yesterday's announcement of the new iPhones and the fabled Apple Watch.

In case you hid in a cave: there are two new iPhone 6 with a 4.7" screen (1334 x 750) and an even larger iPhone 6 Plus with a 5.5" (1920 x 1080) screen, both effectively from next week on. In addition, they have announced an Apple Watch, coming early 2015.

What do you think?

I have to say that nothing shown appeals to me. The iPhones are again technically sound, but the larger screens reek of a "me-too" development. The 5.5" screen is simply unwieldy and begins to defy in my opinion the purpose of a mobile phone. Even Apple seems to be aware of that and added this one-handed mode ("Reachability"), which makes it easier to use the thing by moving the screen content closer to your thumb while leaving significant portions of the screen unused…

The available configurations are just odd: 16 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB. Why the hell bother with 16 GB, which will be too little for most purposes nowadays, but skip 32 GB? Especially when the price difference between all models are always $100.

Regarding the Apple Watch, I have to say that I think that Apple definitely thought this whole thing better through than the faster competitors. Details like that the Apple Watch automatically displays the time when you raise the hand – in contrast to having to press a button as it is the case of other smart watches – are quite nice ideas. However, I still don't see much of a point for these smart watches (especially since most of them, including the Apple Watch, require you to have your smart phone with you to be of any actual use).

What's more: that thing is ugly. It looks like a thick, ungainly toaster strapped to your wrist.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Watch has a better interface than any of the watches come before. Don't really want one. I have my phone and my wii fit meter does 86% of the rest of the things I am interested in the watch for. I don't think it looks better than the new moto one, if only the new moto one had dat digital crown and the Apple interface. Brings together several aspects of many devices. Overall looks good if you are interested in this sort of thing.

And sending heartbeats, you are really REALLY stretching for things to actually do with this thing. As for the price, I know people that spend hundreds of dollars on a watch. That only does watch things, so its pricing is probably fine. Still don't want one.

iPhone 6, good evolution. Only a little bigger than my 5, I like the size of my 5. I'm not interested in the fablet plus but if my droid loving acquaintances are any measure Apple would have been dum not to get into the phablet market. PS fablets are dumb and the fact they are so popular is proof of humanities downfall. :teehee:

Annoyed that the optical image stabilization is only on the phablet. The camera was the only thing that really wowed me, and the best one isn't available on the phone I'd want.

Annoyed that the base model is still 16GB for 16, 64, 128. Base should be 32GB Flash is cheap now, there's no reason for this spread other than pushing people toward higher margin models.

macdude22 pines for the when Apple was Apple Computer and made computers for adults. Centris 650, Power Mac 7100, Power Mac 9600, G5 Towers. Unf. I was secretly hoping for a really bad ass Mac announcement.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

I don't want an iPhone, hell I don't even want a normal cell phone at all but I need to have one in case of an emergency because phone booths don't exist anymore.  As far as the watch goes, and I viewed the video at Janichsan's link, it offers me nothing more than an expensive price tag with a thousand options I don't care about.  I have an old Casio wrist watch that tells me the time as well as any world time zone, the date, is a calculator, stores phone numbers, as well as a stop watch, timer and some other stuff I don't care about.  It has all the functionality I want.  The Apple watch (it's not an iWatch??) looks clunkier than mine and my Casio is early 90's tech.  

I couldn't be more disinterested in either Apple product.  I think it's real functionality is one-upping your associates, and I don't give a crap what my associates think of me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 September 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

I don't want an iPhone, hell I don't even want a normal cell phone at all but I need to have one in case of an emergency because phone booths don't exist anymore.

Are you from the past? :P You should be all over Dick Tracey's Watch.

In my defense my bill says I used 7 minutes last month and 700MB of data. Calling this thing a phone is hardly accurate. Its more like a pocket computer that happens to make calls.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Going the 6+ 64 GB route. Can't wait. Initially I was unsure about the 5.5" as the bezels are (unfortunately) still pretty big, but I printed out cutouts and it really isn't that much bigger than 4.7. Still fits in my pocket comfortably, and the landscape mode UIs look awesome. Kind of wish it had an iPad-like orientation lock for the purpose, though. If I had an iPad, I'd probably go for the 4.7", and as MacDude says, these are pocket computers. I barely make any phone calls. For my usage, the bigger size makes more sense. And I want that awesome battery life.

The Apple Watch looks gorgeous, but I've never worn a watch before and I can't see myself starting. That UI, though...I really hope they bring that home screen to the iPhone.

ApplePay, I can't get excited about because I have a state credit union, and we don't even have an app yet...it'll probably be 2020 before I can use it. I'm slightly worried that it won't take off because (of course, being Apple) it isn't cross-platform. Are stores really going to have a thing for Apple and a thing for everything else?

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

iPhone 6 is the first iPhone I've liked since the 3GS... combine that with being able to get service and data for $25/month no-contract versus the previous bills of $100+/month and I may end up going iPhone this time around. The fact that my music library, even when slimmed down to 256 Kbps AACs still outstrips my iPod Touch 5's capacity makes that 128GB mighty enticing. There's also the factor that the iPod Touch 5 is my favorite iOS device design, and the iPhone 6 is basically a slightly bigger version of it that makes calls.

So yeah, they may finally get Frost on the iPhone bandwagon.

And now that I've finished gushing about the iPhone 6, the AppleWatch would be an extremely hard sell to me for $150. $350 and up is a joke. That and the appearance. I know some folks like it, but to me it's like an uber-hipster version of a Suunto. I was totally turned off watching the keynote. No thanks. I agree on the UI though. There was a refreshing lack of Jony Ive's stark white screens. After a year of iOS 7 eye fatigue that was extremely pleasing to the eyes.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 10 September 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Are you from the past? :P You should be all over Dick Tracey's Watch.

In my defense my bill says I used 7 minutes last month and 700MB of data. Calling this thing a phone is hardly accurate. Its more like a pocket computer that happens to make calls.

Aliens will track you and put a radio in your head!!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 September 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

What do you think?

I have to say that nothing shown appeals to me. The iPhones are again technically sound, but the larger screens reek of a "me-too" development. The 5.5" screen is simply unwieldy and begins to defy in my opinion the purpose of a mobile phone. Even Apple seems to be aware of that and added this one-handed mode ("Reachability"), which makes it easier to use the thing by moving the screen content closer to your thumb while leaving significant portions of the screen unused…

The available configurations are just odd: 16 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB. Why the hell bother with 16 GB, which will be too little for most purposes nowadays, but skip 32 GB? Especially when the price difference between all models are always $100.

My contract has been up, and I want my youngest son to have a cell phone (he'll inherit a 4S from his brother - trickle down theory or twisted primogeniture joke), so I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 6. I'll also throw in the fact I need reading glasses. The 4.7 iPhone 6 won't help, but I tell myself it will. The 6+ is just monstrous. Not interested. So, Gold iPhone 6 for me. Given I've plenty of HD space around here to transfer pics and vids, I'll get the 16 GB. Regarding the memory configurations, I wonder if holding on to the 16 GB is an attempt to push people to purchasing iCloud storage space. I know people who use the iPhone as their main personal [media] computer, which would make getting a 64 GB or 128 GB sensible. However, the ones I'm thinking about don't even know they need to update their OS. Fact is, they can't, because they've too many ridiculous pictures that they can't seem to part with. Yada-yada-yada.

View PostJanichsan, on 10 September 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Regarding the Apple Watch, I have to say that I think that Apple definitely thought this whole thing better through than the faster competitors. Details like that the Apple Watch automatically displays the time when you raise the hand – in contrast to having to press a button as it is the case of other smart watches – are quite nice ideas. However, I still don't see much of a point for these smart watches (especially since most of them, including the Apple Watch, require you to have your smart phone with you to be of any actual use).

I can't imagine how the Apple Watch would fit into my life, even if it does "just works."
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 September 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Aliens will track you and put a radio in your head!!!

Probably, George Noory has told me of such treachery.

#10 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

The new phones seem kinda cool but nothing particular stands out for me really. As I already have an iPhone 5, only the 6 would be of any interest. Just like Janichsan, Dojoboy and macdude, I do not like the look of the 6+, far too big. I do not get the whole phablet thing, even the iPhone 6 is nearly too long for me, maybe it my small hands but even my 5 is nearly too long. So I certainly will not be looking at the 6+, even thought it has that optical image stabilisation feature.

I suppose Watch could be good, but I am not interested in it, even though some of those healthkit features looks pretty cool.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#11 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:23 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on 10 September 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

The new phones seem kinda cool but nothing particular stands out for me really. As I already have an iPhone 5, only the 6 would be of any interest. Just like Janichsan, Dojoboy and macdude, I do not like the look of the 6+, far too big.

We were discussing this at work and most people agreed that a swap every three years seems logical unless you get an upgrade deal every two with minimal fee in between. Basically those with 5 and 5S are all going to wait and see what 6S looks like and the 4/4S are considering an upgrade once we get a chance to see the phone in real life to judge it's size.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:31 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 10 September 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

macdude22 pines for the when Apple was Apple Computer and made computers for adults. Centris 650, Power Mac 7100, Power Mac 9600, G5 Towers.
Amen, brother!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3814 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:45 AM

Watch, meh. Fat, ugly, pointless, low battery time, requires an iPhone.

iPhone 6, mjaa.. Hate the back, bezel still too big, do like the rest though. Still sticking to my 4S.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 10 September 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

Probably, George Noory has told me of such treachery.

Oh, so you're a NOORY lover eh?  Figures!  Art Bell can kick Norry's sorry candy ass!  ::snort::  Where was George Noory when human's were being harvested for meat by an alien race returned from the stars?  Hiding under his bed no doubt while Art was on the front lines gathering critical game-flavor information from callers about all the lights in the sky and people being sucked up into space craft!

As for the large size of the iPhones, it is mostly for screen space so that one doesn't go blind trying to watch a movie on a postage stamp.  Apple could make these phones smaller than a modern flip-phone if they would just use all that technical expertise to create iBuds, like ear buds only iBuds are for the eyes.  You want to surf the internet, watch a movie, or troll for a radio in your head you can pull your iBuds out of your pocket and see the computer output in cinemascope and technicolor on a REAL retina screen.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 September 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Oh, so you're a NOORY lover eh?  Figures!  Art Bell can kick Norry's sorry candy ass!  ::snort::  Where was George Noory when human's were being harvested for meat by an alien race returned from the stars?  Hiding under his bed no doubt while Art was on the front lines gathering critical game-flavor information from callers about all the lights in the sky and people being sucked up into space craft!

As for the large size of the iPhones, it is mostly for screen space so that one doesn't go blind trying to watch a movie on a postage stamp.  Apple could make these phones smaller than a modern flip-phone if they would just use all that technical expertise to create iBuds, like ear buds only iBuds are for the eyes.  You want to surf the internet, watch a movie, or troll for a radio in your head you can pull your iBuds out of your pocket and see the computer output in cinemascope and technicolor on a REAL retina screen.

More of tolerate. Honestly I usually only listen on the weekends anymore, George Knapp and the subs are just so much more into it. Noory just phones it in, Knapp gets to the meat of the cattle mutilations and orange lights over area 51.

I'd go for the iBuds. Tim should hire you. You're SMRT.

#16 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'd love an iPhone but can't justify the monthly cost. So the watch is even less likely. It's a fun device but I hate how thick it is.

View PostCougar, on 10 September 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

ApplePay, I can't get excited about because I have a state credit union, and we don't even have an app yet...it'll probably be 2020 before I can use it. I'm slightly worried that it won't take off because (of course, being Apple) it isn't cross-platform. Are stores really going to have a thing for Apple and a thing for everything else?

This is something I've been thinking about. At the beginning it's a feature to sell phone upgrades, but at some point they have to bite the bullet and push it as a separate product. In the short run that might mean adding the fingerprint scanner to the next iPod Touch. Longer term, they could implement it for Android, or sell a cheap Apple Payments dongle/gadget. Or license the technology to others.

If they don't, Apple could easily make electronic payments mainstream, then see someone else take over the market.. If I were Apple, I'd have a 10+ year plan for this. They can't let it stagnate like Apple TV, nor can they expect to keep it iPhone-only for very long. Begging for businesses to support it only gets you so far, even for Apple.

I think the licensing route has potential. I could imagine someone developing a consolidated device that handles multiple types of electronic payments, including Apple's. (If I were Apple, I'd be prepared to propose a standard that different payment vendors could support. Then that consolidated device could also be Apple's.)

In related news, Home Depot has suffered a credit card breach that dwarfs the one that hit Target last year. I've been waiting impatiently for the US to finally adopt chip & PIN credit cards, but maybe we'll skip that completely in favor of electronic payments.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 11 September 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

I'd love an iPhone but can't justify the monthly cost.

I have 2 iPhone 5's on Ting and the bill is normally under 50 dollars a month. Don't know what your usage patterns are but there are some options out there. Was paying almost 150 a month for 2 iPhones with verizon, and of course you feel obligated to upgrade every two years or you're just handing them money after that.

#18 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

I like the idea of the 6+ with the massive screen, since I've been missing having a tablet lately, but I would feel like the biggest pleb making phone calls on that thing. *excuse me while I hold this iPad mini up to my face* :glare: Also, despite being a 6' 2" guy who doesn't wear anything silly, like skinny pants; I am sort of wondering if the damn thing is going to fit in my pocket comfortably. I'm just going to wait until they come out and try them out in the apple store.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#19 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 11 September 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

I have 2 iPhone 5's on Ting and the bill is normally under 50 dollars a month. Don't know what your usage patterns are but ..

Dumb phone, no data, family plan. After the first phone, each additional phone is only $10 a month. It's hard to match that price in the US, even with pay-as-you-go.

A nice compromise (for me) would be to use an unlocked smart phone, used as (a data-less phone + iPod touch). I would love that. But even if you aren't using any cellular data, when AT&T detects that you are using a smart phone they add a data plan, no opt-out. So my monthly cost would be $10 + the cost of their meagerest data plan. So instead I make do with separate devices.

I only occasionally feel sorry for myself for not having an iPhone, so no one else should feel sorry for me. But when Apple unveils new models I can't help but think about it some. :-)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 12 September 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

I like the idea of the 6+ with the massive screen, since I've been missing having a tablet lately, but I would feel like the biggest pleb making phone calls on that thing. *excuse me while I hold this iPad mini up to my face* :glare:
HAHA!

Funnily enough, this was a subject of conversation over a group iMessage with friends + a couple family. One was saying to go for the 6 Plus and my response was to take a photo of myself making a call on a 6 Plus.

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 September 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

A nice compromise (for me) would be to use an unlocked smart phone, used as (a data-less phone + iPod touch). I would love that. But even if you aren't using any cellular data, when AT&T detects that you are using a smart phone they add a data plan, no opt-out. So my monthly cost would be $10 + the cost of their meagerest data plan. So instead I make do with separate devices.
This is what I've been doing for years and am still doing. Motorola RAZR2 V9x on AT&T GoPhone service for calls, iPod Touch 5 for everything other than calls. Had to add an iPad mini with cellular data for working purposes, but I'm splitting a family plan with family, so cost of that is a totally manageable $15/month.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iPhone 6, Apple Watch