10 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

Every time i try to connect, i get "can't connect to the apple software update server"

I figured i would actually run the thing and see if there were any updates today.. and that's all i get.

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

I got through just minutes after you tried.  Do you have any port monitoring/blocking software such as Little Snitch?  If so then turn it off and try again.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hands Off!, but it was already disabled (and the machine restarted with it off).  First thing i tried.  Its not a network problem, as my Media Center Mini can update just fine.

#4 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

Try this -> open Terminal.app and type (it should list all available OS X for your system, not MAS apps though)
softwareupdate -l -a
What is the result?

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

this is the result:

Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2012 Apple Inc.

Finding available software
Can't connect to the Apple Software Update server.

#6 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Try flushing the dns cache, seen this happen a few time with incorrect caching of CDNs:
http://osxdaily.com/...he-in-mac-os-x/

#7 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

... got this strange output:

No matching processes were found

One site has suggested starting in Safe Mode, so im going to give that a whirl here in a bit when i can.

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

My mom had this happen to her on her Mac mini early on under Mountain Lion and it was throwing me for a total loop. Ended up being some certificates somehow got flagged wrong. If all else fails, you might pop open Keychain and look for system certificates that have icons indicating they've been changed from the default settings. Then change them back if they have.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

Keychain turned up nada; however, restarting in safe mode did the trick.  There must be something about Hands Off! That prevents the App Store from working correctly even when it is turmed off.  

Not a problem, though, if Safe Mode works.  Rebooting once a month in Safe Mode for updates is a small price to pay to be able to control what uses the internet on my machine

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

Haven't had that problem with Little Snitch.  You might want to look into that sometime.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Had it and abandoned it.  It caused a lot of problems with Mavericks when I updated, and they were months behind making it compatible with Mavericks (even further behind than Hands Off! who took two+ months to get compatible - thankfully id put off upgrading until after).  It was also a serious nag - there didn't seem to be an in-between setting between "handle everything for me" (No way that was happening) and "ask me about absolutely every single thing ever".  I've found Hands Off! to be quite a bit easier to use.  

I'm going to have the same problem with Yosemite, probably.  Wont be able to upgrade for months.