help with wifi range extender (ethernet cable into it)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

I'm going out of my mind with this thing.

had it a year, it works well for months then doesn't. its one of those little range extender thingies to get me wifi in the bedroom. since the signal is popsnizzle in there full stop, the cable company ran ethernet round the wall and into the room, and it goes into this little to-link box. its to do two things, get internet to my mac mini attached below my tv in the room, on a wall bracket, and to give good general wifi around the bedroom, the bathroom and the balcony.

to set it up, you reset it, and it appears as its own wifi connection named something like 'tp extender connection' and you go into that, bring up the admin page click through about 3 settings and you are done.

the settings it asks are just something like

range extender or access point. the instructions tell me that it must be access point as its taking the signal from the ethernet cable coming into it. i tried range extender anyway and it didnt work as it can't pick up the signal.

you choose your country, it asks you if you want a separate password, and then you confirm, it resets and it works.

now I'm sure before, once you did that, the 'pt extender connection' disappeared as a wifi connection, and in place was the normal wifi name for my main wifi connection.

thats the way its been for months.

now whether its connected or not, i installed the yosemite beta on the mini, and the wifi worked happily as it downloaded and installed, but when it restarted it wouldnt find the wifi connection.

so i restarted the wifi extender, I've done it about 5 times and get the same result. the steps look the same but when it restarts, the connection still stays as 'to-link_extender A233' and the wifi works from the iPad, although its a pain when i walk from the bedroom to the lounge it has to change wifi connection and when i walk back in, it hangs on to the ever so faint connection from the lounge even though its not powerful enough to work.

and even worse, the mac mini, only 2 foot from the extender, can't see either connection. i can put the iPad right below the mini and get full signal but the mini can't even see it.

stumped....

iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

Egads. Not sure what to tell you. I'm not always happy with Apple's take on things, but when it comes to wifi, I've gotta say, Apple's AirPort hardware takes the pain-in-the-ass out of running a wifi network. I'm in a similar position as you, one half of my condo has lead walls or something and my AirPort Time Capsule can't reach it. I can't run Ethernet cable here, so I've got the TC networked to a remote AirPort Express via a Cisco PowerLine network to extend range.

As far as the iPad not switching to the stronger network, if you're comfortable enough with the configuration, you could try setting up the wifi extender to have to same network ID and password as your main wifi station. That helps the device say, "Oh, this is the same network. I will hop over to the stronger signal."
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:47 AM

I bought one of these http://www.tesco.com...&skuId=586-2643
Works perfectly with my MB. I now get a full signal in the bedroom away from the router and it plugs into my non WiFi TV's Ethernet port to enable its smart services too :)