19 replies to this topic

#1 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

In your opinions what's the simplest way to get Windows running on a MacAir?
I just need it to run Internet Explorer once a day as my missus work website uses a format for text that I need to copy daily which only formats correctly when copied from the Internet Explorer browser.
If I can do this on my Mac then I can finally put my Windows laptop to rest.

#2 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Your best bet is probably to use a Virtual Machine, if you need full-up Windows but dont need it often... and maybe tell these people that Internet Explorer isn't really the standard anymore.  =P

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

With some tinkering, you could get IE to run in Wine, though probably not the most recent versions. More compatible and reliable are virtual machines, as Tetsuya mentioned, for example Parallels, VMware Fusion or Virtual Box (which is free).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Yeah i was going to say, for this application (IE and nothing else), just Virtual Box it and use your current Windows key.  That should cover you.

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

No need to use Windows keys: https://www.modern.i...alization-tools

#6 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Interesting.. so its a limited-function VM that only runs IE and doesn't require a key?  Neat.

#7 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Thanks guys.

View PostHansi, on 23 August 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

No need to use Windows keys: https://www.modern.i...alization-tools

I really like this idea, although I'm struggling with the SFX file. When I run the OVA file (VM machine) it doesn't find anything to boot from, possibly because I can't seem to do anything with the SFX file. What am I doing wrong?

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

View Postmuffking, on 25 August 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I really like this idea, although I'm struggling with the SFX file. When I run the OVA file (VM machine) it doesn't find anything to boot from, possibly because I can't seem to do anything with the SFX file. What am I doing wrong?
I assume you followed the instructions given on that download page?

Instructions
  • Download all SFX and RAR files for the VM. If only an OVA file exists for that VM, that file can be opened directly.
  • From the terminal, allow the downloaded file to execute by typing chmod +x filename.sfx on the SFX file only.
  • Run the SFX file from a terminal, such as by ./filename.sfx and it will expand into the OVA you can open with VirtualBox.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

So far, but I get stuck at step 3.

1. I have downloaded the OVA and SFX files.
2. Terminal successfully ran the SFX file
3. This is where I get stuck. I run the OVA file, which opens VirtualBox, but an error pops up saying it failed to import appliance.

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Might be easier to get them to fix their site for every other browser in the universe ;) But I digress from pure bias...

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#11 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

+1, but I guess they are not Mac friendly. Even their mobile workforce are given Windows Mobile tablets :o

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

Actually doesnt really need much to do with Macs... its just following a clean standard that all the other web browsers out there follow (Chrome leading the bunch). The first thing I do for windows machines, of my own, and every friend and relative, is delete IE and install Chrome :) Hehehe.

Anyhow, my point is actually "there is no excuse for making a site that only works right in IE" ... not from an industry standard standpoint.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#13 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

View Postmuffking, on 26 August 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

So far, but I get stuck at step 3.

1. I have downloaded the OVA and SFX files.
2. Terminal successfully ran the SFX file
3. This is where I get stuck. I run the OVA file, which opens VirtualBox, but an error pops up saying it failed to import appliance.

What happens if you import it from within VirtualBox instead of double clicking it?

#14 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostHansi, on 26 August 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

What happens if you import it from within VirtualBox instead of double clicking it?

Exactly the same error, so I've just started to download one of the other VM's in case it was corrupt.

Is it supposed to create a it's own virtual Windows or should I have one created in advance? (not that I have anything to boot with).

#15 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Absolute worst-case, if you have to go full-on VM, I find VMWare Fusion to be easy to use, simple to set up, and if you have a Windows serial # to use, worth having just to have.  I have to have Windows available because of my insurance company (they have me tied to a pedometer to make sure im exercising, and it has to be plugged into the internet via an app that only runs in Windows) and it has been useful to have Win 7 in a VM environment for full compatability on things instead of trying to screw around with other solutions.

#16 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

We're in business :D
Downloaded one of the RAR versions which worked. The problem is now trying to transfer the text from the website to Mac Word. I can copy and paste the text from IE to Wordpad in virtual Windows, but I guess the clipboard is not the same on the Mac as I can't Paste it over. Tried looking for my network drive (a USB stick plugged into my router) but virtual Windows can't see it, nor can it dee a USB device.

Any idea how to transfer text or a Doc from the virtual Windows over to the Mac OS?

#17 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

email it yourself.

#18 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

View Postmuffking, on 26 August 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

We're in business :D
Downloaded one of the RAR versions which worked. The problem is now trying to transfer the text from the website to Mac Word. I can copy and paste the text from IE to Wordpad in virtual Windows, but I guess the clipboard is not the same on the Mac as I can't Paste it over. Tried looking for my network drive (a USB stick plugged into my router) but virtual Windows can't see it, nor can it dee a USB device.

Any idea how to transfer text or a Doc from the virtual Windows over to the Mac OS?

You should be able to enable to enable clipboard sharing: https://www.liberian...guest-machines/

#19 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 26 August 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

email it yourself.
I can't believe that I didn't think of that :D

View PostHansi, on 26 August 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

You should be able to enable to enable clipboard sharing: https://www.liberian...guest-machines/
Who's the daddy!
That works perfectly, thanks.

I can now copy the text from IE over to Mac Word in the correct format :)

Thanks for all the help guys. Huge learning curve going on here :D

#20 muffking

muffking

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:31 AM

Oh yeah, can I activate it as I don't have a key and would like to keep it after 30 days?