Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

I think we went off topic a bit ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#83 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

REVEROF NOHTARAM!!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#84 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 October 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

REVEROF NOHTARAM!!!

If you write it in reverse, does it not mean the opposite? HEATHEN!
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#85 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostWhaleman, on 09 October 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

If you write it in reverse, does it not mean the opposite? HEATHEN!

What it does is create a Jjaro reverse timewave that causes Bungie to abandon Marathon and start making games for... consoles...

TBC, DAMN YOU! This is the day the causal loop was created!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#86 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

B b b b b b bu bu but but but...

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr... Hey how about that Elite: Dangerous anyway.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#87 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 October 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

I think we went off topic a bit ;)

It's all tbc's fault. I just mentioned it in passing, that's all. I don't even want to talk about it. It's just another game I won't live long enough to get around to playing, like most of what I own.

I liked the video with the soundtrack though despite how terribly inappropriate it was for this thread. Good Lord. Some people just can't stay on topic, they are all over the place, you know? :P

Back to the topic at hand, I am curious now. What is the verdict at this point? Recommended? I am guessing yes since I note somebody tends to be spending a fair amount of time lost in space still.

Oh, by the way, just linking this in passing and don't want to talk about it but you have to love her...

https://www.youtube....s4r7SMLnms#t=21
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#88 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

I just spent the last 45 minutes jumping a 500k credit contraband load of weed into illegal space. I came in so freaking hot and barreled into the station mid scan. I got a reckless flying fine but those bastards didn't get to peg me for the huge payload I was carrying. I was sweating bullets coming in. Scan Detected. GO GO GO GO GO GO SHIP GO DON'T DEPLOY LANDING GEAR UNTIL YOU ARE INSIDE. CRASH SCRAPE. DEPLOY. Money in the bank.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#89 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:47 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 11 October 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

Back to the topic at hand, I am curious now. What is the verdict at this point? Recommended? I am guessing yes since I note somebody tends to be spending a fair amount of time lost in space still.
I definitely still have a blast, although the game even now feels quite unfinished, despite a couple of major additions. And it probably will still be some time until even the basic parts are fully fleshed out.

That said, what's announced for the next "season" sounds really good.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#90 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:15 AM

Horizons looks sweet and hopefully I will be able to get into the game once that is out... looking forward to a bit more space sim to play than the Star Citizen Alpha ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#91 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

Is there any hardware to help avoid getting scanned when you are carrying illicit cargo? I avoided it for the longest time but now that I've gotten a tasted of them sweet sweet credits I need moar. I haven't really googled anything, but I haven't seen any ship modules that would helpout when I've looked while docked. Is the best advice to just come in hot as frak and hope they don't have time to get in a scan? I'm not sure my heart can take another run like last night.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#92 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 October 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

Is there any hardware to help avoid getting scanned when you are carrying illicit cargo? I avoided it for the longest time but now that I've gotten a tasted of them sweet sweet credits I need moar. I haven't really googled anything, but I haven't seen any ship modules that would helpout when I've looked while docked. Is the best advice to just come in hot as frak and hope they don't have time to get in a scan? I'm not sure my heart can take another run like last night.
Silent running helps. When I'm smuggling, I usually align my ship about 5 km out with the mail slot, start flying at full throttle towards the station, and engage silent running about 2 or 3 km out. This way, I usually make it inside the station without overheating.

If you want to take it a step or two further, turn off as many modules as possible before making your run towards the station, and maybe launch a heat sink (if you have a heat sink launcher), to further reduce your ship's temperature. That way you can maintain silent running much longer.

Silent running is not 100% safe, though: you can still be scanned when you come too close to the security ships.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#93 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

I do recommend it.

I agree the recent 1.4 patch kind of set a lot of things backwards, with various little oddities that didn't exist in v1.3... and then they did something to the NPC AI system where its basically impossible to escape 'interdiction', or do an interdiction yourself and win. (interdiction is pulling someone out of super cruise so you can either demand their cargo, or blow them the hell up... usually the latter).

The smuggling missions just got more payout due to the 'long distance' missions now. The further away the mission wants you to go, the higher the pay! It used to be just smuggling something to the neighbor system, or to the neighbor station... which was already lucrative and I made a few million just by smuggling slaves around. Gotta love the Empire.

I never had an issue with being scanned, but it does seem the 1.4 update has made the authorities more aggressive in their searches. A nifty trick which doesnt risk overheating, or drifting at high speeds... is to load up Chaff and pop that if you hear 'scan detected'. It gives you enough time to get away enough to break their scan.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#94 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 12 October 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

I never had an issue with being scanned, but it does seem the 1.4 update has made the authorities more aggressive in their searches. A nifty trick which doesnt risk overheating, or drifting at high speeds... is to load up Chaff and pop that if you hear 'scan detected'. It gives you enough time to get away enough to break their scan.
That's true. Although I learned the hard way that the effect wears off faster than the chaff launcher reloads. So better not waste any time... ;)

#95 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:28 PM

Haha right. 5 seconds of chaff protection, 10 seconds of reload. If you have two chaff launchers, you can spam them endlessly though.

-Fm [1oM7]

#96 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 October 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

View PostJanichsan, on 12 October 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Silent running helps. When I'm smuggling, I usually align my ship about 5 km out with the mail slot, start flying at full throttle towards the station, and engage silent running about 2 or 3 km out. This way, I usually make it inside the station without overheating.

If you want to take it a step or two further, turn off as many modules as possible before making your run towards the station, and maybe launch a heat sink (if you have a heat sink launcher), to further reduce your ship's temperature. That way you can maintain silent running much longer.

Silent running is not 100% safe, though: you can still be scanned when you come too close to the security ships.

I wonder at the conversations the dockmasters at these stations have.

Security: <pulls up camera feed> Look at this. This ship that just landed turned off all its systems and slid past the scanners as well as our security picket while rocketing into the docking bay at far above recommended approach velocity. We need to get a team down there, put it in lockdown, and find out what the hell's going on. At minimum we should fine this nut for recklessness.

Dockmaster: Did the scans show any contraband?

Security: What? No, he slipped pas-

Dockmaster: Eh, probably legit then. Ignore it.

Security: But he wasn't sca-

Dockmaster: Son, I've been doing this for twenty years. The computer is never wrong. If he got in, he must be legit. Now keep an eye out. We don't want any smugglers or pirates slipping past.

Security: ...
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#97 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

LMAO.

I know right??

You'd think smuggling would require being extremely cautious, and try to do everything to not get noticed. Which would mean not go over the speed limit by even a fraction, and dont 'bump' anything while landing, and do a full throttle down and slow controlled landing, and even docking requests and procedures.

The smuggling part would be, buying special shielded hidden cargo bays you could carry things that would not get scanned, or can fool the scanning process.

...but if you do anything suspicious, then they do a much more full scan, or detain your ship for a visual search of cargo...

Naw, smuggling is: drive as crazy and fast as possible just to touch down... then BAM YOURE GOLDEN! WOOOOT!

-Fm [1oM7]

#98 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 October 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

I'm afeared I'm not that quick on the throttle to not slam into the station wall with my shields down in silent mode.....

#99 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

A couple of weeks ago I heard some slight noises over the back wall which leads to a street and sidewalk.  It was night and out of curiosity I looked over the wall.  I saw some indistinct shadow of a person, and as my eyes adjusted I saw it was a kid about 15.  He was standing frozen on the sidewalk.  Well I was staring at him for a minute when suddenly he panicked and flattened himself against the wall and stood motionless, back against the wall.  I watched him for about another minute, I mean I was right there looking at him and he could see me as easily as I could see him but he sticks to the plan.  I was thinking, "You know you dumb little popsnizzle, that ninja hiding skill only works in video games."  I gave him the victory because I didn't want to damage his teacher inflated self esteem.  In retrospect I should have given him one of those 3 inch high shiny plastic trophies to put with his other school trophies.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#100 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 October 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

A couple of weeks ago I heard some slight noises over the back wall which leads to a street and sidewalk.  It was night and out of curiosity I looked over the wall.  I saw some indistinct shadow of a person, and as my eyes adjusted I saw it was a kid about 15.  He was standing frozen on the sidewalk.  Well I was staring at him for a minute when suddenly he panicked and flattened himself against the wall and stood motionless, back against the wall.  I watched him for about another minute, I mean I was right there looking at him and he could see me as easily as I could see him but he sticks to the plan.  I was thinking, "You know you dumb little popsnizzle, that ninja hiding skill only works in video games."  I gave him the victory because I didn't want to damage his teacher inflated self esteem.  In retrospect I should have given him one of those 3 inch high shiny plastic trophies to put with his other school trophies.

You should have glared into the darkness, then said in your best Mr. Magoo voice, "Sonny, I can't see ya there too clear, yer hidin' too good. But these days I don't have to see ya." Then ducked back for a moment, and come up with a spent AT4 tube and aimed it over the wall in his general direction.

Eric5h5:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elite: Dangerous, Frontier, Elite, The King is Back