Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 October 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

I get deterred from buying one because the handling is so much less than what I have... and what I have is already terrible at turning speeds, I couldn't imagine going worse... I guess you need stronger shields and armor, to offset the piss-poort turn rate, you have to do a lot more boosting and joust runs, instead of out turn and sit on their tail shooting holes up their ass (which is what I do in the adder).
You'd probably be surprised: the maneuverability isn't that much worse (except for the yaw rate), and you will still be able to keep almost all ships easily in the crosshairs.

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 October 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

If someone sends me friend requests in games, it would be nice if they mention it here as to who its from, cause sometimes you guys dont use the same names.
Since you probably refer to my request: I didn't assume you know that many people with "Janich" anywhere in the name to cause confusion. ;)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#62 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 03 October 2015 - 01:24 AM, said:

Since you probably refer to my request: I didn't assume you know that many people with "Janich" anywhere in the name to cause confusion. ;)

Yeah, it gave me pause because it wasnt exact ... however I didn't know how common Janich is in your neck of the woods over there hahaha.

I did accept it, thinking ... well, if its some spammer, I can always unfriend/block it. ;)

I think I'll just buy the Cobra, and tool around in it stock for a bit, see how it feels/fairs. I'll store my tripped out Hippy Bus (what I call the Adder) at the local starport so i can come back to it in case I need too.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#63 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

Something else I am noticing in this game, is the complete lack of any creativity. I mean, its like their design choice is to make it all realistic and believable.

Theres no creative takes on space, no clouds of gaseous fogs around planets to fly in, no odd unexplained phenomenon you have to avoid that do crazy things to your sensors, nothing of any sort of visually 'wow, wtf' sci-fi-esque nature at ALL. I mean, I flew up to three black holes, and went "gee guys, really? thats the best you came up with?"

I so long for a dog fight in a nebulous cloud of sensor frying radioactive particles. Or a race through asteroids that look different for once. I mean, hmmm....

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#64 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

Their design choice IS to make it all realistic and believable... The only deviations they make from science is FTL and the assumption that we mastered cold, or at least compact fusion by then. Even the gravity on the space station is calculated from the rotations speed and not some "artificial" gravity engine. So yeah :)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#65 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

Dont get me wrong, I love the realistic nature of how physics, bodies, and energies work... but, this is SPACE... lets see a bit of creativity in some new and wonderous stuff to come across. 400 billion star systems, and you cant tell me they are all based off 'known quantities' of human observations from earth, right? ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#66 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

Didn't you hear they sent 400 billion people out to survey one system each?
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#67 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

And found that yes, we are completely alone in this galaxy? =D

-Fm [1oM7]

#68 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

As far as ¢¶\‰]| is concerned, the official un$∞|[@]ed report is that yes we are totally™ alone in this Star@£$∞$@[||] Galaxy.

Also, $|§[|§∞$ can ∞£$§∞ my [|§∞$∞¢‰¶!

***END MESSAGE***

#69 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 07 October 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Something else I am noticing in this game, is the complete lack of any creativity. I mean, its like their design choice is to make it all realistic and believable.

Theres no creative takes on space, no clouds of gaseous fogs around planets to fly in, no odd unexplained phenomenon you have to avoid that do crazy things to your sensors, nothing of any sort of visually 'wow, wtf' sci-fi-esque nature at ALL. I mean, I flew up to three black holes, and went "gee guys, really? thats the best you came up with?"

I so long for a dog fight in a nebulous cloud of sensor frying radioactive particles. Or a race through asteroids that look different for once. I mean, hmmm....

View PostFrigidman™, on 07 October 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

Dont get me wrong, I love the realistic nature of how physics, bodies, and energies work... but, this is SPACE... lets see a bit of creativity in some new and wonderous stuff to come across. 400 billion star systems, and you cant tell me they are all based off 'known quantities' of human observations from earth, right? ;)
I have to agree – at least partially. I mean, what is in the game looks mostly very good, but there is very little unusual and really spectacular stuff. It could use some spicing up – and the developers wouldn't even have to become really imaginative in the literal sense, or wander far into the area of fiction. Real-life space phenomena like accretion disk, plasma jets, shell stars, contact binaries, or just some measly comets would already make things more interesting.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#70 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 07 October 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

Oh... so you want to "explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

You might want to check out Star Trek Online.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#71 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 07 October 2015 - 08:00 PM, said:

Or possibly No Man's Sky when that is released :) Even if it feels like a Disney Does Star Trek to me from previews, but it still looks amazing.

***END MESSAGE***

#72 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:12 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 October 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

If someone sends me friend requests in games, it would be nice if they mention it here as to who its from, cause sometimes you guys dont use the same names.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#73 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 07 October 2015 - 08:00 PM, said:

Sorry, that game is ass. Unbelievable ass. Completely and utterly, ass.

No offense to anyone who actually enjoys it. But I gave it a go and its ... assssss.

I always keep a lookout on space games. That last truly fun and enjoyable one I played was called Freelancer. It eventually reaches a point where, yeah, you are lord of the universe and theres nothing really to discover. But its a fun trip all around getting there. Also, the game is now so old, my memories of it may have skewed and distorted, making it seem better than it actually is (if I ever had the nerve to re-install and play it again, which I don't, because I dont want to ruin a good thing in my brain).

Anyhow, ED is pretty cool for its own regard. At least its OUT, and playable, and has a lot of various things to do as-is. It may be a bit more cold-reality than I would like in a sci-fi game... but, oh well, cant have everything ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#74 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 08 October 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

Sorry, that game is ass. Unbelievable ass. Completely and utterly, ass.

No offense to anyone who actually enjoys it. But I gave it a go and its ... assssss.

My shame is I preordered that game (collectors edition and lifetime subscription). The game they released WAS NOT the game Cryptic was shilling when I went to see them in Vegas. 5 years later the game IS STILL NOT the game they were shilling. Cryptic is, legit, one of the worst developers of all time.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#75 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 08 October 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

(if I ever had the nerve to re-install and play it again, which I don't, because I dont want to ruin a good thing in my brain).

A discretion I should have practiced but instead I watched the movie versions of good books only to lose that good thing in my brain.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#76 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 October 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

A discretion I should have practiced but instead I watched the movie versions of good books only to lose that good thing in my brain.

I have a rule I follow: If I read the book, NEVER see the movie. If I see the movie, NEVER read the book.

-Fm [1oM7]

#77 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

I was Joking about Star Trek online. That's free to play and has a Mac version doesn't it? I was thinking of trying it sometime but I doubt I'd want to pay for it at all. I tend to like MMOs though so I might note hate it outright. I'd have to fool around in it to see.

I still have a disk copy of Freelancer that I installed some time back along with NOFL 1 & 2 in my Windows XP VM where they run just fine fortunately. I've been meaning to get around to those games forever.

#78 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

NOLF is one of my favorites.  The first one is far superior to the second in my opinion.  Loved to gear up at the start of a mission with the most appropriate weapons and gear.  That silenced pistol was the go-to battle axe I took on every mission, extremely deadly and stealthy.  Head shots baby.  As in zombie shooters, it's all about the brain.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#79 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 October 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

NOLF is one of my favorites.  The first one is far superior to the second in my opinion.  Loved to gear up at the start of a mission with the most appropriate weapons and gear.  That silenced pistol was the go-to battle axe I took on every mission, extremely deadly and stealthy.  Head shots baby.  As in zombie shooters, it's all about the brain.

Indeed! Pistols are my fav... pistols with silencers are like YUM. NOLF 1 was the better of the two, the second kind of felt rushed and not thought out. Like they were just milkin it.

-Fm [1oM7]

#80 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:34 PM

Contract Jack was the game to really milk NOLF with its loose association to the franchise. It was actually kinda fun but not in the same league by all accounts as its predecessors as I recall. Wouldn't you know it, that one I did play.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elite: Dangerous, Frontier, Elite, The King is Back