#41 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 January 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

(You might notice the small black spot on the sun: that's a hot Jupiter orbiting it.)

Now that is super cool.  That's where our Jupiter would be today if it hadn't have gotten into a fandango with Saturn throwing them both back out to where they started.

View PostJanichsan, on 10 January 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

Originally, I wanted to post a 1000 word essay about my current opinion about the state of the game (in short: flawed, but I'm having a ball), but I'm too tired at the moment.

I've set you up with IMG Writers privs so you can post it in the IMG Reviews forum.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 15 January 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

I've set you up with IMG Writers privs so you can post it in the IMG Reviews forum.
:blink: The pressure...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#43 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:23 PM

Latest news on the Mac version:

Work on Elite: Dangerous for Mac is progressing well and we’re still on track to enter beta by the end of March. This beta period will be longer than the short 1.1 Beta test and we’re anticipating a period of around six weeks for testing.

We still have a whole bunch of optimisation work to get through so we’re not ready to provide a minimum spec just yet, but we can confirm it will be available as a 64 bit build.

We’ll have more on the Mac release soon.

That preview is still coming, by the way. The behemoth of now 2600 words is mostly done, but I'm currently lacking the time to make it really cohesive.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#44 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Remember, your only valid excuse is that you are gaming.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#45 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

This just in:

Progress on the Mac build continues and it will require OS X Yosemite (version 10.10).

#46 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

downloaded mac version yesterday! :)

#47 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hmmm... 33% off on steam right now this weekend only.

Shame we don't carry this title on WGS. LOL.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#48 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 July 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

Hmmm... 33% off on steam right now this weekend only.

Shame we don't carry this title on WGS. LOL.

It's discounted direct on the developers site too if you don't want to feed the steam machine. You can still link your account to steam if you desire.

https://www.frontier...dangerous.html/
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#49 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

Hmm, that is more appealing to do than paying steam directly. Because then almost all funds go to the originators of the game.

How does the steam link work? Does it allow all the steam achieves and whatnots with it? Or is it just a 'activity feed link' only?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#50 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 July 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

Hmm, that is more appealing to do than paying steam directly. Because then almost all funds go to the originators of the game.

How does the steam link work? Does it allow all the steam achieves and whatnots with it? Or is it just a 'activity feed link' only?

You just get a key that you can redeem in the client. Shows up in your library same as anything else then.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#51 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 09 July 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

It's discounted direct on the developers site too if you don't want to feed the steam machine. You can still link your account to steam if you desire.

https://www.frontier...dangerous.html/
In fact, when you link your account to Steam, you do feed the Steam machine. From that point on, Valve is entitled to collect their usual share, also on any further purchase you make in Frontier’s own store, e.g. for ship liveries and upcoming expansions.

#52 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:02 AM

Something I have grown to have an issue with in this game....

Its not the UI oddities, or missing functionality... I know those will either eventually be added or adjusted, as the devs have shown they care in that regard.

Its not random bugs that may or may not occur... as the devs seem interested in clearing those (some at least) with each patch.

Its the 'style' in which the devs have gone with ship design (and a little bit with station design). In short, all ships look like ugly ass.

It's understandable that the starter ship (that sidewinder) would be the most ugly, piece of garbage you could imagine (and they got it right... a flying triangle, how imaginative!). But it didn't get any better. Almost all ships are a flying triangle of some sort, or a box, or a box with a triangle. They are all (mostly) god awful.

But see, the reason it bugs me, is because I know the devs won't do anything about how terrible they all look. Because that is their design choice, and they are sticking with it. As evidence by the next new ship... which is, yet another flying triangle... but oh, it has fangs! and is fatter! *twirl finger*

Basically what I've noticed, is that even though this game can have some nice close up fighting action, or other flybys... I just don't pay attention to the ships anymore, because to me, they are all ass.

Nothing like the plethora of imaginative designs you find in: Star Wars, Star Trek even, Babylon 5, Firefly, Dark Matter, Killjoys... and even other games, like the X universe, or Freelancer. Heck EVE has some imaginative and varied ship designs (even at their tiny speck on the screen look).

Anyhow... just wanted to say that.

-Fm [1oM7]

#53 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 October 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

Something I have grown to have an issue with in this game....

Its not the UI oddities, or missing functionality... I know those will either eventually be added or adjusted, as the devs have shown they care in that regard.

Its not random bugs that may or may not occur... as the devs seem interested in clearing those (some at least) with each patch.

Its the 'style' in which the devs have gone with ship design (and a little bit with station design). In short, all ships look like ugly ass.

Hehe, you could say it's a bit like a general design philosophy in the Elite universe, similar to the Star Trek ships that all have this design with two (or sometimes more) nacelles sticking out of a main body. ;)

There is some variety in the ship designs, though, also including some flying boxed with wings, the yacht-like Orca, and the airplane-like Imperial ships.

Posted Image

That said, the Zorgon Peterson ships (top, somewhat to the left) really all look pretty much the same in different sizes.

#54 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, I had expected the Empire ships to all be vastly different than the rest, with elaborate and garish looks to them (much like you would have seen a Nimbari ship compared to Human in B5, or Vulcan vs Human, Empire vs Rebel).

But they are just sorta ... ok. And sadly way too few of them. Only the clipper is cool, but its an impossible beast to use (from what I hear), and expensive like no other.

Like right now, I'm in the Adder, because it doesnt look like a flying wedge. It at least kind of looks like a shuttle. But its pretty low on the food chain so to speak.

-Fm [1oM7]

#55 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

Heh, actually, its pretty sad that the 'top down' view of all those ships, is pretty much it. Thats what they look like, but fatter in 3d... there is very little to zero difference looking at them from the side, back or front ;) (exception being the orca)

-Fm [1oM7]

#56 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 October 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

Yeah, I had expected the Empire ships to all be vastly different than the rest, with elaborate and garish looks to them (much like you would have seen a Nimbari ship compared to Human in B5, or Vulcan vs Human, Empire vs Rebel).

But they are just sorta ... ok. And sadly way too few of them. Only the clipper is cool, but its an impossible beast to use (from what I hear), and expensive like no other.

Like right now, I'm in the Adder, because it doesnt look like a flying wedge. It at least kind of looks like a shuttle. But its pretty low on the food chain so to speak.

The adder was one of my favorite ships and I used that ship until I saved enough for my cobra. Its not much to look at but it can kill pirates and haul much more cargo.

As for the clipper it is fairly expensive, and the outfits are so very expensive, I'm looking at you gimbaled c3 burst lasers, but I love it. I don't find it impossible to use really but it depends on what you want to do with it. I mainly do cargo runs with it but it can also do fairly well against pirates and if you get in a spot of bother it is fast enough to get away in a hurry. The only thing I hate about it is docking, the fact that it has an extremely large wing span means getting through those stupid mail slot station openings is a real pain and since it is a large ship it can't dock at the small stations. I find the auto pilot outfit is a really good idea at least in solo mode, I just wish it didn't take up a slot on my ship, and didn't on rare occasions ram into the station for no reason; always have a shield.

A warning about the imperial clipper, once you finally get the darn thing you'll find all motivation to keep playing starts to dwindle as you really have the best looking ship in the game, at least until the imperial cutter is released. :happy: Which might be the reason why I haven't played in a few months.

#57 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

Gawd, I'd like a ship that can survive wings of 2. I can take down single elites just fine in my adder... but no matter what their difficulty, if they are in a wing of 2 (and omg 3), I die, or run... usually run, since I dont like dying, the insurance is stupid crazy expensive.

-Fm [1oM7]

#58 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 October 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

Gawd, I'd like a ship that can survive wings of 2. I can take down single elites just fine in my adder... but no matter what their difficulty, if they are in a wing of 2 (and omg 3), I die, or run... usually run, since I dont like dying, the insurance is stupid crazy expensive.
The Adder is not the most durable ship, that's right. I guess the next step up would be Cobra or the Viper, which are quite competent combat ships. Especially the Cobra with upgraded shields is a surprisingly awesome fighter, despite being a multi-purpose ship. It's still one of my most favourite ships in the game.

#59 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

I get deterred from buying one because the handling is so much less than what I have... and what I have is already terrible at turning speeds, I couldn't imagine going worse... I guess you need stronger shields and armor, to offset the piss-poort turn rate, you have to do a lot more boosting and joust runs, instead of out turn and sit on their tail shooting holes up their ass (which is what I do in the adder).

-Fm [1oM7]

#60 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

If someone sends me friend requests in games, it would be nice if they mention it here as to who its from, cause sometimes you guys dont use the same names.

-Fm [1oM7]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elite: Dangerous, Frontier, Elite, The King is Back