Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

Look on the bright side. You know when and how you die, and it's centuries from now, so you've got all kinds of time to make the most of it before that damn upstart kid version of yourself comes along and blows you up and you spend your last moments sucking hard vacuum.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#122 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 27 October 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

Bout time someone scrubbed the scum out of that sector of space, a tip of the space helmet to you good sir.  But you just wait, in a couple hundred years that murderous psychopath Janich is going to be a cult bandit hero figure like Billy the Kid and they will write songs about him extolling him, but you're going to come off as the dirty little coward who shot Mr. Howard.  So like, leave some room in your coffin in order to roll over in your grave.
You think there will also a movie with the future equivalent of Brad Pitt called "The Assassination of Simon Janich by the Coward Simon Janich"?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#123 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:27 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 27 October 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

You think there will also a movie with the future equivalent of Brad Pitt called "The Assassination of Simon Janich by the Coward Simon Janich"?

^ Greatest comment on this forum.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#124 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

I'm finally part of the secret society of whales with elite dangerous! For €12.37 I could not resist even at my piss-poor economy. Downloading now and hope to be part of something in the future.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#125 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostWhaleman, on 27 November 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

I'm finally part of the secret society of whales with elite dangerous! For €12.37 I could not resist even at my piss-poor economy. Downloading now and hope to be part of something in the future.
Ooone of uuussss… ooone of uuussss…

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#126 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:55 AM

So, Frontier has released the first major expansion yesterday and…

Posted Image

…it's not really finished (of course). :glare:

Well, at least they are now very upfront about that.

#127 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 16 December 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

So, Frontier has released the first major expansion yesterday an

…it's not really finished (of course). :glare:

Well, at least they are now very upfront about that.

More finished than that other space simulator. :teehee:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#128 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

I was thrust 8GB down my throat when turning on my PC yesterday. And I didn't even buy the expansion... so I guess all the content and stuff is there, and its simply all unlocked by a code. I guess they expect everyone to plunk down another $60 for one tiny aspect of the game. Not much different than that other space simulator. :teehee:

Alos WITH that update, Steam decided "hay, you need a forced new category in your list just for this game!" and added "Steam VR" to the category list, and doubled the game shown. Yet, I dont even HAVE Steam VR, and never WILL have it. Stupid engineers over there at steam... or it was their marketing guys... as we all know they are the most evil.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#129 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 December 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

I was thrust 8GB down my throat when turning on my PC yesterday. And I didn't even buy the expansion... so I guess all the content and stuff is there, and its simply all unlocked by a code. I guess they expect everyone to plunk down another $60 for one tiny aspect of the game. Not much different than that other space simulator. :teehee:
No, that really was just the 1.5 patch for the base game. It contains much of the content that's in Horizons, but not the main attraction (i.e. the planetside stuff). The patch size probably got quite inflated by the new 64 bit version, which for some reasons comes with its own resources (because sharing the resources between the 32 bit and the 64 bit version probably would have been too easy...)

Horizons is a separate installation, and in fact treated as completely different game in Steam.

#130 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 16 December 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

No, that really was just the 1.5 patch for the base game. It contains much of the content that's in Horizons, but not the main attraction (i.e. the planetside stuff). The patch size probably got quite inflated by the new 64 bit version, which for some reasons comes with its own resources (because sharing the resources between the 32 bit and the 64 bit version probably would have been too easy...)

Horizons is a separate installation, and in fact treated as completely different game in Steam.

Ah.

Well, I'm not sure if I want Horizons TBH... I mean, I bought the game to fly around in space and see space, and do things in space. Not land on a planet and roam around in DiRT Planetside 3.

;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#131 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:25 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 December 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

Ah.

Well, I'm not sure if I want Horizons TBH... I mean, I bought the game to fly around in space and see space, and do things in space. Not land on a planet and roam around in DiRT Planetside 3.

;)
Well, it does make for some very space-y vistas:

Posted Image

All the new planetside starports also add a lot of variety in your destinations. And while I haven't really dabbled yet with the new missions, there are some that seem to be quite interesting.

#132 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

I'll still ponder it. Its a big price tag for me (I like finding sales ya know!)... so my impulse drive is at a minimum.

-Fm [1oM7]

#133 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

I can wait for a sale. Given my lack of time to play the base game.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#134 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:20 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 17 December 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

I'll still ponder it. Its a big price tag for me (I like finding sales ya know!)... so my impulse drive is at a minimum.

View Postmacdude22, on 17 December 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

I can wait for a sale. Given my lack of time to play the base game.
It's completely legitimate to wait. You don't miss too much right now: there are still quite a bunch of bugs (although some of them are probably also in the base game now) and some of the planetary mechanics need some polish. Finding stuff on the planet's surface is unfortunately even more tedious than scouring signal sources in space... :cool:

#135 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:41 AM

The tediousness is the best part. I love scanning for undiscovered systems. I'm gunna scout the whole universe.

#136 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 18 December 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

The tediousness is the best part. I love scanning for undiscovered systems. I'm gunna scout the whole universe.
Sure, exploration can develop a kind of hypnotic appeal in its tediousness. But it's quite directed in contrast: either fly around systematically to find all the objects in a system, or find them all at once with the ADS, and then fly to them to scan them up close.

The planetary missions on the other hand have you first flying aimlessly over the planet's surface until you find a "point of interest", which covers a significant area, then land there, and drive aimlessly around following vague scanner signals until you find your objective. Or not. There's usually a complete lack of direction.

#137 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:35 PM

75 hours in and I've lost almost all interest for now. Will probably log on and play more every now and then, but it felt like a massive grind to afford a new ship that basically only offered even worse handling. And while adding new mission types sounds good, "stay in system x for a fricking long time without dying before we tell you were to actually go" is actually even worse than the already existing ones :/ Hopefully horizons will bring new fun stuff along the road, but what it have brought me so far is more a sense of "we won't tell you were to get the car because then you will just get bored with it faster".

I still like the game weirdly enough, I just hate the grind and lack of feel of accomplishment. I usually stop playing MMOd when I feel I've accomplished as much as I could hope for and I feel the same applies here. Lack of subscription allows me to go back whenever though, and I don't regret buying it or even horizons. We need more space games and supporting both those out there and those coming (not just thinking about SC there, so many promising smaller projects as well) can only be good in the end :)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#138 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

I have to take a break from it because everytime I spend more than 30 minutes in a RES doing bounty hunting, the game now freezes on me. (seems I'm not alone, big thread on it on the forum)

And those new missions are ripe with broken dynamics indeed. I just gave up on them all.

The one thing that has been bugging me lately about it, is that if I need to take a break (or holidays, forced break) from gaming it... all my rep drops to neutral because of 'decay'. Guh. I cant spend constant hours at the game to keep my rep UP... so thats really annoying me. Its now punishing people for not being able to play all the time.

-Fm [1oM7]

#139 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostWhaleman, on 28 December 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

And while adding new mission types sounds good, "stay in system x for a fricking long time without dying before we tell you were to actually go" is actually even worse than the already existing ones :/
You don't have to stay in the system for the duration of the mission. You can go wherever you want and do whatever you want in the meantime – except dying (or being scanned for the other type of these missions).

View PostFrigidman™, on 28 December 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

The one thing that has been bugging me lately about it, is that if I need to take a break (or holidays, forced break) from gaming it... all my rep drops to neutral because of 'decay'.
Your reputation never decays so far: you can only drop from "allied" to "friendly" (or rise from "hostile" to "unfriendly"), but never below that.

#140 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 29 December 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

Your reputation never decays so far: you can only drop from "allied" to "friendly" (or rise from "hostile" to "unfriendly"), but never below that.

But still!

I spend all the time I have trying to get BACK to allied, so I can push towards the navy rep... but then I have to log and go do other things, and when I come back, ALL progress I made is gone because I couldn't play the game.

Its getting tiresome to even bother with it.

-Fm [1oM7]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elite: Dangerous, Frontier, Elite, The King is Back