Elite: Dangerous Frontier Elite The King is Back

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#101 LadyZarjah

LadyZarjah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:48 PM

Back to Elite: Dangerous.... I'd definitely play it once I get more free time. When that will be.... who knows? Seems quite nice though, definitely piqued my interest.
Ran out cake years go... never stopped trying.

#102 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

I might get back to Elite soon. Looking for friends. CMDR DotMac here

#103 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

CMDR Frigidman ... for lack of a better handle ;)

I'm taking a slight break as their servers are acting up, making jumps between systems take up to 5 minutes of wait. Unplayable when trying to do runs or explore... so I'm gonna let them figure out what they broke, and then I'll return.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#104 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:34 AM

Frontier has recently previewed the planetary surfaces that will come with the upcoming new "season", to be released some time near the end of the year. It's only rocky and icy planets without atmosphere so far, but it looks really promising:

This video has only the rocky planets, but in the commented livestream, they also showed off icy worlds at the beginning.

There's a major problem with this, though: none of this will be coming to the Mac version, at least not any time soon. And the reason for this is Apple. The problem is that they make heavy use of compute shaders for the planetary surface simulation, and Apple's OpenGL does not support those. Metal – in theory – does, but they are apparently not up to the task. The developers went on record saying they are "working closely with Apple" on this issue, but I would not hold my breath… :glare:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#105 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

Its so hard and time consuming just exploring planetary systems, let alone landing on them all! Hahaha. I'm gonna hold off on this 'season', as I just have no desire to land on planets. I want flying in space, action in space, exploration in space, and cool space flight awesome stuff and space! ... not land pew pew. I got Planetside2 for land pew pew.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#106 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 October 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

Its so hard and time consuming just exploring planetary systems, let alone landing on them all! Hahaha. I'm gonna hold off on this 'season', as I just have no desire to land on planets. I want flying in space, action in space, exploration in space, and cool space flight awesome stuff and space! ... not land pew pew. I got Planetside2 for land pew pew.

I'm really anal and even when I do a jump route I scan every system in the route and scan every unidentified astronomical body. It's like work, only I'm doing it. Bazinga. :)
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#107 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:37 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 16 October 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

I'm really anal and even when I do a jump route I scan every system in the route and scan every unidentified astronomical body. It's like work, only I'm doing it. Bazinga. :)

Yeah, which is why I couldnt imagine ALSO landing on every dang planet I just spent 10 minutes flying out too in each system ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#108 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

I should buy a better scanner but they cost me so many credits and the regular one works, if a bit slow and popsnizzle like that.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#109 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:18 PM

I bought the best scanners, all three of them. Didnt help with the scan speed at ALL. Only one of them makes it easier to see everything thats in the system (the 1.5mil cr scanner)... but you still have to fly up close to each item and some of those take eons to scan for full data :(

-Fm [1oM7]

#110 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

My Pride :unsure:

#111 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 October 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

Yeah, which is why I couldnt imagine ALSO landing on every dang planet I just spent 10 minutes flying out too in each system ;)

I'm getting Mass Effect 1 flashbacks when I hear of the planetary explanation... the buggy thing even moves like a Mako on speed in the trailer.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#112 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostWhaleman, on 18 October 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

I'm getting Mass Effect 1 flashbacks when I hear of the planetary explanation... the buggy thing even moves like a Mako on speed in the trailer.

HEY I LIKED THE MACO.

Like the first time I had to drive it. Then..............my sanity.

#113 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostWhaleman, on 18 October 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hahah! oh god... why did you have to refresh those horrid memories!!!

-Fm [1oM7]

#114 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:23 AM

What bugs me right now is Fronier's current brilliant market strategy:

Buy the game for £30 and we give you £10 off of the £40 expansion that ALSO includes the full game, just not until the expansion ships!

Guild Wars 2 did it better. Preorder the expansion and play the game now. Of course, then they went ahead and made the base game completely free. Now that would be something Frontier ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#115 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:01 AM

View PostWhaleman, on 21 October 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

What bugs me right now is Fronier's current brilliant market strategy:

Buy the game for £30 and we give you £10 off of the £40 expansion that ALSO includes the full game, just not until the expansion ships!

Guild Wars 2 did it better. Preorder the expansion and play the game now. Of course, then they went ahead and made the base game completely free. Now that would be something Frontier ;)
I completely agree. I already complained about this idiocy earlier.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#116 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

I am not sure why it is not

Base Game = Price 1
Expansion = Price 2

Base Game + Expansion = 1+2

Base Game price should probably drop to 29.95 or something at this point.

I get that people coming into it now will want the Expansion, but as is they are essentially pricing the expansion as a new game and kind of shanking us folk that already own it in the kidney a little bit. Not like a full shank, but a little shank.

#117 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 October 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

... and kind of shanking us folk that already own it in the kidney a little bit. Not like a full shank, but a little shank.

Maybe because the lead for marketing is a big prick.

-Fm [1oM7]

#118 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 21 October 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

Maybe because the lead for marketing is a big prick.

Actually he is probably a little prick as he is giving little shanks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#119 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

Well… that was bound to happen, but still was odd:

Posted Image

For the uninitiated: that's an NPC – with my name (which is in the database for NPC names since I'm a Kickstarter backer).

At least killing myself got me an acceptable payout:

Posted Image

#120 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

Bout time someone scrubbed the scum out of that sector of space, a tip of the space helmet to you good sir.  But you just wait, in a couple hundred years that murderous psychopath Janich is going to be a cult bandit hero figure like Billy the Kid and they will write songs about him extolling him, but you're going to come off as the dirty little coward who shot Mr. Howard.  So like, leave some room in your coffin in order to roll over in your grave.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elite: Dangerous, Frontier, Elite, The King is Back