21 replies to this topic

#1 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

I've been searching for a joystick to play a flight game, Sky Gamblers, and would like advice. The Logitech 3D Pro Stick doesn't appear Mac compatible according to their site. http://gaming.logite...3d-pro-joystick

The only other Mac compatible stick I have found is from CH: http://www.chproduct...13-p-181.html#4

Any recommendations?
The world has changed.
I can feel it in the water,
I can feel it in the earth,
I can smell it in the air.
Much that once was is lost,
for now none live who remember.
from the Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

I have an old Saitek joystick that I play X-Plane with, it works fine and I've never installed any drivers for it. I would think that most any USB Joystick should be ok with a game that has joystick configuration. Otherwise I have an app called Joystick Mapper I use to map things to my Xbox 360 controller sometimes.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

The Logitech should work fine. I think the given system compatibility only refers to the configuration software. Most half-way serious flight sims I know should be able to address its buttons and axes without additional software.

Thrustmaster also has some very good flightsticks. Especially the Hotas X also should be configurable mostly without additional drivers.

I personally use a Saitek X52 Pro which has far more knobs, buttons, switches and other moveable thingies than any Mac flight sim can handle. In case I really need it, I then use ControllerMate to make things work.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

If you want to stay on the budget side, my recommendation goes to the Thrustmaster T.16000M. Extremely accurate, and yet costs practically nothing. List price is like $50, but it can regularly be had on sale for $20-25 (I got mine for $20 from MicroCenter in March this year).

I would make a very heavy recommendation against the CH Fighterstick. I listened to the hardcore CH fans as far as what I should buy, and I had a complete CH setup (CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals). They were NOT worth what you pay for them. Fighterstick had zero resistance and tons of play, and was not nearly as accurate as the significantly cheaper Thrustmaster T.16000M, which I'm now using as my cheap stick for games that were programmed by apes and won't work properly with a real HOTAS (Battlefield 3 and 4, for instance). I was similarly disappointed in the Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals. I sold off all my CH gear last fall and moved to the TM HOTAS Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals. Infinitely better.

Then I picked up the T.16000M for use as an all-in-one joystick to replace my ancient Logitech Wireless Freedom 2.4 joystick, and was extremely impressed by the fact that even though it's made from pretty cheap plastic (it's $50), the magnetic sensors make it feel nearly as accurate as the stick from the HOTAS Warthog. VERY satisfied with it.

Both Thrustmaster products are Mac-compatible.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Frost the T16000M is $80 on Amazon. What do you think of the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick, http://www.amazon.co...s=thrustmaster. It is $50 on Amazon.

Or the Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X Flight Stick, just $30. I think I will go with Thrustmaster.
The world has changed.

#6 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

25$ on the T.16000M at Microcenter.

http://www.microcent..._Stick_Joystick

Shop around, grasshopper =)

#7 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Ha, you are right. So now I'm trying to decide between two Thrustmaster models:

Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Stick ($25)
Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X($30)

I think the T-Flight stick is a new product and I'm leaning towards using it because I could program the throttle to that sliding button under the stick. The T.16000M slide button seems less well positioned for my left hand thumb.
The world has changed.

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

T.Flight stick is not new, it's been around for quite some time. I had the T.Flight HOTAS X (same stick with a matching throttle) for the PS3 several years ago for use with the first HAWX on PS3... eh. It was okay, but nothing to write home about, IMO. I ended up eBaying it after a couple months. It'll do as your basic sub-$50 joystick. My main gripe was when I connected it to my Mac to use with Beyond the Red Line, the throttle accuracy left a lot to be desired. But the stick was okay, just not amazing. I haven't used the stick-only version with the integrated mini-throttle, but I assume aside from that difference it should be the same.

I still say the T.16000M is a much better choice though. It feels like a $50 stick, but it performs like a $200 one.  Seriously, using that and its big brother the HOTAS Warthog has made me a believer in digital magnetic sensors over analog potentiometers. For comparison, each axis on a really high-end stick with pots has about 250 states. Low-end sticks, maybe around 60 states. The T.16000M has 16000 states for each axis (hence the name). And that's even with "cheap" sensors (expensive ones have 65000 states).

Especially if you're flying a helicopter, the difference in input smoothness, accuracy, and controllability is like night and day. It also never needs calibration, and unlike potentiometers won't wear out after a couple years of heavy use. The only problem is price, as most Hall effect sticks are expensive. The T.16000M was an attempt to bring that tech to a budget stick, and IMO did an excellent job. Its only downside is the central location of the throttle, but the stick is marketed as being ambidextrous, so that's probably why.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Frost you have convinced me, thanks for your advice!
The world has changed.

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Sure! Hope it works out well; I've been really satisifed with mine and I'm normally an SOB to please. :)

Eric5h5:

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostFrost, on 02 July 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

I'm normally an SOB to please. :)

I want a T-shirt with this on it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

I wonder if I still have my old Gravis Joystick around in a box. Used to play Al Uncer Jr. Racing with that on the 575.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#13 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 03 July 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

I wonder if I still have my old Gravis Joystick around in a box. Used to play Al Uncer Jr. Racing with that on the 575.
Gravis!

I've still got my old ADB Gravis Firebird that I used to play Falcon 4.0 with on my SuperMac. That was such an awesome little stick (TWSS).

Eric5h5:

#14 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Speaking of Gravis.. I have a gravis gamepad pro in one of my drawers (the one that was PSX style and hooked up to the joystick port on the sound card on a PC and could be daisy chained with GRIP). It was interesting how the gravis d-pads had a tiny joystick you could screw into them. I didn't like the heavy\chunky d-pad so much but there have been worse d-pads... and no I'm not just talking specifially about the Microsoft ones prior to the Xbone. Also, it was better than the previous Gravis Gamepad which only had four buttons... and games like Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 needed at least 5 so it involved compromise.

Of course these days when it comes to gamepads people can easily just choose to use the first party pads from the consoles which are usually considered to be better than third party imitations. Back when Gravis gamepads where a thing we didn't have much of a choice though. At one time I also used a Microsoft Sidewinder which was like a precursor to the Xbox controllers. Except it had a 6 face button layout, two digital shoulder triggers and a d-pad. Like the Gravis GRIP system it could be daisy chained to the sound card for multiple players.

I have memories of using the Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad to play the PC version of Resident Evil 1 on my Rendition Vérité V1000 graphics card (and later 3Dfx Voodoo) and using the shoulder button to go into aiming mode.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

View PostFrost, on 03 July 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

Gravis!

I've still got my old ADB Gravis Firebird that I used to play Falcon 4.0 with on my SuperMac. That was such an awesome little stick (TWSS).

I dumped my ADB Gravis Firebird a while back.   I got it for flight sims, but I really really embarrassed myself in public because in programming it to Marathon I realized that I had fired off an incredibly stupid complaint letter to Bungie.  To make a long story short, I won't tell you about it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 July 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

I dumped my ADB Gravis Firebird a while back.   I got it for flight sims, but I really really embarrassed myself in public because in programming it to Marathon I realized that I had fired off an incredibly stupid complaint letter to Bungie.  To make a long story short, I won't tell you about it.
Unfortunately you already did. And that popsnizzle was funny.

Eric5h5:

#17 makmoco

makmoco

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

I'm about to order the Thrustmaster T16000 but I have Mac OSx, can anyone confirm me if it will work fine in my Mac>

#18 makmoco

makmoco

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:08 PM

Hi everyone I've seen a lot of positives reviews about the thrustmaster 16000 including this post. My brother has the logitech 3d and it looks fair simple, it works but it seems the Thrustmaster is better quality and more responsive, so I'm about to order online the T16000M, the only problem is that I would like to confirm if its Mac compatible. I know the logitech 3d says pc and works well with Mac but I just don't want to have problems with my purchase order later on.

#19 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

View Postmakmoco, on 07 March 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

I'm about to order the Thrustmaster T16000 but I have Mac OSx, can anyone confirm me if it will work fine in my Mac>
No first hand experience, but I know that this stick is Mac compatible. You should be able to get it to work in most recent flight sims without additional software.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#20 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

I used T16000 to play Elite Dangerous on OS X without any problems..