mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:21 AM

View Postipickert55, on 04 October 2014 - 12:42 AM, said:

I think the IGN review is just a load of crap, it looks great. One of their minus points was that the enemy AI is too predictable.

Stinkin casuals.

"DON'T DO IT!!!" :cool:  LOL that was pretty over the top - the awkward kind of.

PS: but didn't it say the AI was too unpredictable, in the review. It def. said the outcome of an encoounter was very predictable, because you die - always.

from the review text:

but as you’ll come to learn, the alien’s unpredictability is both Isolation’s greatest strength as well as its most crippling weakness.

hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#22 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:39 AM

ouch.. http://arstechnica.c...d-unforgivable/
But sound is great which should satisfy @Smoke_Tetsu :-)

#23 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

Some sites are giving it good reviews... others like Ars Technica have given it scathing reviews.

As for the sound.. I'm just going to have to see hear if\when the game gets ported to the Mac. :) I mean.. Gone Home got awards for sound design and it doesn't have multichannel surround sound support. Also sometimes one doesn't know how a game fares until it gets ported.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#24 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 04 October 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

I've heard it's about 21 hours.
That's a pretty good length IMO. I thought it was much shorter, since they kept showing the same parts of the game over and over again, whenever it was reviewed.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#25 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

Joystiq said "The good news is Alien: Isolation is far from being the disaster that was Aliens: Colonial Marines. Isolation delivers plenty of what franchise and survival series fans would hope for, with the consistent criticism brought up across reviews that it just. Keeps. Going." http://www.joystiq.c...lien-isolation/
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#26 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

PC Gamer and Escapist love it, IGN and Polygon think it's crap. Hmm.

A consistent thread I've seen is people who loved the first Dead Space seem to like it. And I definitely LOVED the first Dead Space.

I think I'm going to trust the former and grab it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#27 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 October 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

That's a pretty good length IMO. I thought it was much shorter, since they kept showing the same parts of the game over and over again, whenever it was reviewed.

It seems too long for a game like this. One of the common complaints I've seen is about the pacing, because it's hard/impossible to keep the tension for that long. I would have preferred a 6-hour game for a third of the price, or a 6-hour game with branching plotline.

#28 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

View PostFrost, on 04 October 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

A consistent thread I've seen is people who loved the first Dead Space seem to like it. And I definitely LOVED the first Dead Space.

I fall under the category of people who both loved the first Dead Space and the first Alien flim. :nods: :)

I have to admit the fact that Dead Space has great multichannel surround sound was the cherry on the top for me. :cool:
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#29 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 05 October 2014 - 01:11 AM, said:

I fall under the category of people who both loved the first Dead Space and the first Alien flim. :nods: :)

I have to admit the fact that Dead Space has great multichannel surround sound was the cherry on the top for me. :cool:

Was good to play in the dark with beefy headphones. I only lost two pairs of pants the whole game.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#30 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

You don't have to chuck your pants you know.  You can sell soiled gamer pants on the dark net.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#31 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 October 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Was good to play in the dark with beefy headphones. I only lost two pairs of pants the whole game.
I originally played it on the PS3, and while that was awesome, I recently have been replaying the PC version what with the amazing graphics and awesome surround over the awesome headphones I got last fall. I haven't yet lost a pair of pants to it, but I'm pretty positive I'm going to once I get to that bunk-moving puzzle where the huge f'ing invincible monster is coming after you any second the whole time you're frantically going through it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#32 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:43 AM

Haha. Let's be honest. For you, great multichannel sound is the main course, not the cherry. :P

#33 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Only 79 on metacritic, but Steam reviews are hugely positive... good sign. Regardless, I bought it. Oh Em Gee... the graphics! Holy crap. THIS is what I got a Titan for.

Eric5h5:

#34 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostCougar, on 06 October 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Haha. Let's be honest. For you, great multichannel sound is the main course, not the cherry. :P

For me it's like having a meal where the sauce helps make the meal and without it it's just Okay food that I can eat as sustenance but I don't feel like I want to write home about it. :P Also, everyone and their grandma focuses on graphics and even gameplay so I feel it's my duty to talk about and advocate the oft neglected art of sound in games. Especially since I'm sort of a person who has had surround sound since the 90's where movies first hooked me in and I figured.. Why not have this great experience with games as well? :cool:

Also it's about time the Mac get its act together and join other platforms in the 21st century when it comes to sound. TBH sound has been more neglected on Mac than OpenGL graphics. PC games have had it since the 90's.... and so have consoles.  :P
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#35 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 08 October 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

Also it's about time the Mac get its act together and join other platforms in the 21st century when it comes to sound. TBH sound has been more neglected on Mac than OpenGL graphics. PC games have had it since the 90's.... and so have consoles.  :P
This, for great justice.

I remember when Creative decided to make a brief stab at the Mac market with a Mac Soundblaster card and the FPS2000 4.1 Digital system. I bought into it hook, line, and sinker, and tried out my first EAX surround-enabled Mac game, which happened to be Rune (running on a Mac 3dfx Voodoo5 5500! I miss 3dfx, they put a lot more effort into supporting the Mac than Nvidia or ATI/AMD ever have).

The moment the sound fired up... MIND. BLOWN. I have been interested in this whole "great audio with games" concept ever since.

That played a big part in speccing out my Tiki the way I did... I delayed the purchase by several months just so I could get the first mini-ITX motherboard with a proper sound card (Maximus VI Impact) to run my audio goodies on. I just wish my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card I got for my PowerMac G4 worked in my PowerMac G5. :(

Eric5h5:

#36 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm just a dum 2-channel guy. I like high quality 2-channel but just a dum 2-Channel guy. Turtle Beach X11 downstairs, X12 upstairs, zVox 555 on the TV. 2 ears. 2 channels.

Nvidia has stepped it up, I get regular updates for my GTX680. I sort of expect thats the last thing of that nature we'll see though with apple's attitude toward extensible hardware anymore.

AMD however.........I used to be a big fanboy but man, I had nothing but problems with my 5970, both hardware and software. When I finally got the hardware squared away Catalyst just gets worse and worse. It sits on a shelf, I replaced it with a deal on a 480 a while back. Even their top end CPUs now are barely faster than the top end CPU I got from them 3 years ago. APUs......WE have compute Cores. No, you're making up popsnizzle terms. Even if you wanted a budget system now I'd point someone at something like a haswell pentium and a 750TI.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#37 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm 2-channel myself nowadays depending on where I'm playing. My new home office setup that I got in March isn't really conducive to surround, so I ended up moving to a really nice 2.1 system (Corsair SP2500) + beyerdynamic MMX 300 headphones. I do have a 5.1 setup on the TV though and HDMI going through the wall, so I can enjoy surround on games that are playable with a controller (although realistically, the headphones blow even a really good surround setup out of the water).

And yeah, Nvidia and AMD do a decent job... I just miss 3dfx's approach of "lol, who needs Apple, we'll write all our own extensions and control panels for the OS, manufacture our own Mac-specific cards, and keep Glide for Mac up to date whether we get assistance or not." 3dfx's Mac tools were on par with or better than the modern equivalents for Windows. Although I guess that might have been easier with OS9 back then than it is with OSX now; I'm no programmer, so I wouldn't know. I just know they went the extra mile and then some to support Mac gamers back in the late 90s when the Mac market share was a lot smaller than it is now, and I wish we still got that kind of attention.

Eric5h5:

#38 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

I put a zVOX soundbase 220 in the bedroom too. I'm just old and tired. I literally have to dick with stuff all day for work, my job is literally dicking. When I get home and am not in a dicking mood I just want popsnizzle to work. 2 channel just works. zvox just works.  With damn good sound quality, no tin can speakers here.

I find it interesting as Apple's marketshare has exploded, and how there's been an explosion of "indie" game support for the mac some of the old stalwarts have changed their tune to little support, no support, or crappy transgaming ports. Though some of that is apple, they aren't conducive to the sort of extensible products we old grognards grew up on. There used to be all sorts of niche Mac stuff. Looking through old Mac Addicts and Mac Warehouse catalogs its like man some of this stuff what did they sell like 5 of them. Probably why they are all out of business I suppose lol. At least OWC is still fighting the good fight.

I used to be Apple's target market. Now my wife is. Damn you Apple. Damn you. Just give me another 8600 stuffed with an i7.

Actually that would be a good project, hackintosh in an 8600 case.

#39 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

I think Apple's god-awful GPU situation from like 2004 or 2005 and on is what really did hardcore gamers in. Through all but the tail end of the PowerMac era you could often get gaming hardware on par with hardcore Windows machines for relatively competitive prices (case in point my 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 64MB in my 1995 SuperMac S900 and GeForce 4 Titanium 4600 128MB in my 2001 PowerMac G4, the former of which was bought from a retail Apple SWAS at CompUSA and the latter of which was bought directly from Apple's online store). It was just a question of whether someone had ported the games or was going to.

But 2-3 generations behind for this-gen pricing for years and years I think really drove a lot of more hardcore gamers off even though the marketshare has exploded. People who are more casual of course or play older games don't care about that sort of thing nearly as much so it wasn't as big an issue. That's my theory anyway for why marketshare has exploded yet the hardcore gaming scene is a lot quieter than it used to be.

Preemptive disclaimer for Smoke Tetsu: I am not saying and did not say Mac gaming is dead. :P

Eric5h5:

#40 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

View PostFrost, on 08 October 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

(although realistically, the headphones blow even a really good surround setup out of the water).

In terms of sound quality headphones can and do sometimes beat the sound quality of speakers. No doubt about that. Especially if you have a room with bad acoustics  and badly placed speakers as a large percentage of sound actually comes from your room rather than your speakers.

But unless you got convincing HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function, a type of 3D sound) going on* it can't beat it in terms of positional effects. Without some sort of convincing processing going on beyond just 1:1 mapping of plain old stereo it always just sounds like literally what it is... two speakers feeding sound directly to your ears to me... kind claustrophobic really and I'm not prone to claustrophobia. Also, unless you have one of those butt kicker transducers attached to your seat you can't get the feels of a good well placed sub or multiple... (Right now I use 2 to balance out the bass in my room... also, when you've got multiple.. you don't need to turn each one up as high for it to sound good)...

BTW, at one time I used to be a 3Dfx fan as well. When I was on the PC... they had the best peformance with stuff like Glide.. not the best image quality but the frame rate was king while they lasted. Sadly, I missed the boat on the whole Creative Labs EAX deal when it was out in full force... for a while I was simply behind in PC gaming and was doing other things due to lack of funds. For the longest time my best sound was confined to my TV and I was just using it for movies\tv shows.

Speaking of extensions and control panels that's something I miss from the graphics side. I mean.. where's our nvidia control panel that we can use to force various types of advanced AA beyond what the games offer in their options?

Gaming Sound could also use an advanced control panel as well. To enable 3D sound schemes for headphone or different options for multichannel on speaker based systems... or give choices on different types of OpenAL that the games use.

View Postmacdude22, on 08 October 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

I'm just a dum 2-channel guy. I like high quality 2-channel but just a dum 2-Channel guy. Turtle Beach X11 downstairs, X12 upstairs, zVox 555 on the TV. 2 ears. 2 channels.

This reminds me of the excuse people at the phorum had for no multichannel support in Alpeh One. (We don't have ears in the back of our heads) You may have two ears but generally it's more sophisticated than two speakers... I don't know about you but I can certainly tell what position sounds are coming from myself. Our ears are not like our eyes... we can only see in front of us without turning our heads but our ears are omnidirectional. OTOH.... we do have more aural acuity in the front.. I'll admit that.

In fact Next Gen surround sound is going to have ceiling channels for stuff that goes overhead.... it's called ATMOS. :cool:

Although better sound processing can also help two speaker or headphones setup. Bad or mediocre sound processing can actually also contribute to bad FPS.

*I haven't yet found a HRTF scheme that convinces me personally. The virtual barber sound file didn't work for me.

In gaming, when I tried it the other day the only way I could tell OpenAL was in effect and EAX emulated in SS2 was I could hear reverb in the game... otherwise it just sounded like aggressive panning in my headphones.. It wasn't anywhere nearly as convincing as over my loudspeakers.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said: