3 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

My Windows machine's OS install just packed it in - not even sure why.  The drive may be failing (though i cant find a good utility to tell if that is the case or not, as putting it in an external encolsure didn't work because SMART wont report over USB or Firewire) or it may have somehow gotten a virus (despite being relatively quarantined from the internet - i use the Media Center Mini to download patches/updates/etc other than what comes through Steam..).  

Im currently in the process of re-installing Windows, but i'd love to be able to avoid at least the basic part of this in the future by having a disk image of the OS partition backed up to the Media Center's RAID.  

Any recommendations on a good piece of software that will accomplish this for windows?  (and maybe a recomendation on some software that will actually tell me if the disk is going belly-up?)

Thanks!

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

If you have connected or can connect the disk to a Mac, WinClone has been pretty awesome for me.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

I use Clonezilla to make a backup image of my entire HTPC's main drive. I always do one before I mess with installing or updating any software on it (since its temperamental).

Clonezilla is opensource, and you will want to burn it to a cd to boot from. Its also not very user friendly, but generaly if you do not deviate from the defaults, it does ok guiding you along. It can be too power-user for its own good though ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

turns out the 30-40 second hangs before loading the desktop from the log in screen were caused by the GeForce Experience services.  I deleted it and now im back to 10-20 seconds to usable desktop.  Drive wasn't dying.  Yay.