3 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8621 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

Mac Gamer HQ has posted a new editorial targeting some of the MMO titles out there for Mac users. The article features well known titles such as World of Warcraft and The Elder Scrolls Online, as well as lesser known games like Puzzle Pirates and Minions of Mirth.

Star Trek Online (Open Beta)

The first time I ran the original beta for Star Trek Online, I wasn’t impressed. But then Cryptic went free to play and released an OS X client, giving me good reasons to give it another shot. I’m glad I did.

After an entire weekend cruising the solar system and rescuing emissaries from forgotten planets, this was not the same game I tested a few years ago. Cryptic changed the entire tutorial part of the beginning of the game and inserted a real story line for new players. The ability to give the players a spaceship and command their own decisions makes STO something MMO fans need to try at least once.

Something to keep in mind, I’m in no way a Star Trek fan but that doesn’t prevent me from absolutely loving this game and everything about it. The 3rd person rescue reconnaissance missions, the ship battles, the leveling system, and the redesign of the entire game from that original beta – all well needed. Best of all, I still haven’t spent a dime, even though I really want a Romulan Warbird…

Check out the full article at the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

They have not been playing the same STO that I have if they loved it.......
http://raptr.com/rakden

Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || EVGA GTX 680 2GB (Mac Edition) || 480GB Crucial M500 (Macintosh Boot) + 2TB Seagate SSHD (Macintosh Data) + 240 GB OWC SSD (Windows Boot) + 2TB Western Digital Black (Windows Data) || Apple Studio Display
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD Dual Boot

#3 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 09 June 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

They have not been playing the same STO that I have if they loved it.......
Everyone likes different things.  I find STO in its current form very enjoyable to play for short times here and there.

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

View Postdoh123, on 09 June 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

short times here and there.

I would agree with this. In short bursts, 20 minutes of pew pew is alright. Ground combat/engine/quests are the absolute worst but a bit of space pew pew is decent. However the lack of meaningful gameplay makes the game quickly wear thin.

Granted I've always been pretty cross with this game. I preordered the collectors edition back at launch (with a dum lifetime subscription), I met the devs in vegas 2009 (see below for my swag). The game they released was not the game they promised, not even close. Hell even the box was advertised as a metallic box (which many collectors edition boxes are) but it actually was just some foil embossed cardboard. Right at launch they treated the game as F2P with the delectable C-Store. So you were paying a monthly subscription and 30 bucks a pop if you wanted the best ships. We aren't talking WoW sparkly pony, we are talking they only added ships and other items to the C-Store at high prices (on top of your subscription). In lieu of actual content they put in stuff like the DOFF system which is literally a way for you to click yourself to level 50 without playing the game. Not that it only takes a few hours of regular play to get to 50 anyway. The progression is completely broken, and has been since day one. They have constantly over promised and under delivered, or outright lied. The pinnacle of this has been the systematic klingon faction debacle. Now that it's F2P it's certainly passable in small doses, but nothing tolerable for any significant period of time. It's gotten better, for sure. Being free one can tolerate a lot more when it costs nothing.

I'll stand by my comment though, if you're making an article about Mac MMOs and STO is one of your top picks, you're demonstrating the dearth of quality MMOs not an abundance. :doh:

Posted Image
http://raptr.com/rakden

Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || EVGA GTX 680 2GB (Mac Edition) || 480GB Crucial M500 (Macintosh Boot) + 2TB Seagate SSHD (Macintosh Data) + 240 GB OWC SSD (Windows Boot) + 2TB Western Digital Black (Windows Data) || Apple Studio Display
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD Dual Boot