#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

Looking to do some very casual web hosting for some sites I have in limbo right now. (In the process of cloning them and upgrading them, so need somewhere to shove the clone while I work on it, before bringing it live at the main URL)

A bonus would be to do file and media sharing over the net, but that is not mandatory.

Can OS X Server serve these needs?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

It's pointless, you can do this directly via the client without Server. Personally I'd recommend just getting a cheap VPS, e.g. https://www.digitalocean.com/

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

Fur sure. I used to host my minecraft server at my house but hosting is one of those things that is so cheap to outsource, and likely better managed that I just use a hosting service now. 20 bucks a year is a small price for one click server upgrades instead of dickering with my spare mini (Which i'm now dickering into a weather reporting box lol).

Server will certainly make it easy to do basic hosting though. You'll have more work to do configuring your network to let the traffic out to the world.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

Yes it can. Server isn't quite as powerful as it was in Leopard/Snow Leopard when it was a separate OS with parallel development rather than a MAS add-on, but most of the good stuff is still there, and unless you're running a server at a decent-sized company you won't miss the differences. The tradeoff is it's more user-friendly now.

You want to host things and move files around both inter- and intranet, it'll suit your needs.

(I've had Leopard Server running on my G5 for a long time.)

Posted Image
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

View PostFrost, on 05 June 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Yes it can. Server isn't quite as powerful as it was in Leopard/Snow Leopard when it was a separate OS with parallel development rather than a MAS add-on

I can't bring myself to remove them from the shelf (plus the directory services book is still somewhat informative). I should bring it to JAMFNATION next year and make Arek sign it like the creepy stalker I am.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 June 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

I can't bring myself to remove them from the shelf (plus the directory services book is still somewhat informative). I should bring it to JAMFNATION next year and make Arek sign it like the creepy stalker I am.
I never actually got hard copies of those, I've just got the PDFs supplied by Apple. I only have the Leopard Server documentation as a physical book.

You ever think of throwing those away or recycling them, contact me first. I'll pay your shipping to get them here. They'd go great in the Old Mac Stuff collection. :P
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostFrost, on 05 June 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

You ever think of throwing those away or recycling them, contact me first. I'll pay your shipping to get them here. They'd go great in the Old Mac Stuff collection. :P

That 10.6 Directory Services book was amazeballs. The fact apple dropped all the enterprise services training materials is some indication of what they think of enterprise, regardless of what my Rep tries to convince me of.

Much to the bemusement of my wife I never get rid of anything. Which is why I have dum popsnizzle that will never be used again like this in the house.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

Love the obligatory "Geek" patch. *tips fedora*

And the glorious Toast disc. Many a good "backup" of dvd's was made with that software ;)

Thanks all for the info, so given my casual usage I would be best served with OS X Server? Or should I go for a copy of Snow Leopard server on eBay? (How much does that cost?)
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 05 June 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Thanks all for the info, so given my casual usage I would be best served with OS X Server? Or should I go for a copy of Snow Leopard server on eBay? (How much does that cost?)

Oh my, I wouldn't go seek out a copy of 10.6 server, Frost and I are just being nostalgic old farts. Server in the app store will do what you need and much more. If I needed to serve up some stuff or run a file server (that's not my NAS) I'd just drop Mavericks on an old Mini and run server.app

I meant to sew the patch onto my backpack but its sat there for years. Just like I always tell me I'll use the radio equipment on this very same desk but I haven't made a contact in a year. Have I mentioned I'm dum. Because I had kids. Kids are dum. They take time. And money. And time. How about I send those to Frost for his collection.

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 05 June 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Love the obligatory "Geek" patch. *tips fedora*

And the glorious Toast disc. Many a good "backup" of dvd's was made with that software ;)

Buying direct from Apple back when they were available, Leopard Server was $1000, and SL Server was $500. Probably far cheaper on eBay now, but then again maybe not. SL server's prices are probably inflated since running it virtualized with Parallels is currently the only legal way to get Rosetta on newer Intel Macs.

Either way I'll bet it costs a lot more than buying Mavericks Server for $20 off the MAS.

And there is seriously zero reason to go with the old server over the new one unless you're administering like 1000 Macs at Exxon or something and need a couple power user features that it had. Get Mavericks Server. It'll do what you need and much much more. It's totally suitable from hobbyist usage up to and including a medium-sized corporate environment.

For fun, the OS section of the Apple Software drawer:

Posted Image

Note Tiger server, Leopard server, and Snow Leopard server. :D

Shake 4.1 and PowerPC versions of Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio are in the back of that drawer too. I cleaned out a small post-production outfit's software when they were closing down for pennies because the owner didn't know what he was selling and had already laid off the people who did.

"Hey, I'll give you a hundred bucks for a few thousand dollars of Apple pro software all this old useless junk."
<eyes light up> "Okay!"

View Postmacdude22, on 05 June 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

I meant to sew the patch onto my backpack but its sat there for years. Just like I always tell me I'll use the radio equipment on this very same desk but I haven't made a contact in a year. Have I mentioned I'm dum. Because I had kids. Kids are dum. They take time. And money. And time. How about I send those to Frost for his collection.
Oh gee, that's very kind of you, but I couldn't deprive you of such wonderful time sinks, and having no wife and no kids I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway. How about you keep 'em. ;)

Eric5h5: