Favorite Game Genre

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: What genre of game is your favorite? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

What genre of game is your favorite?

1. First/Third Person Shooter (11 votes [24.44%])

Percentage of vote: 24.44%

2. Real Time Strategy (5 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Role Playing (18 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Flight Simulator (1 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

5. Simulation (SimCity/The Sims/etc) (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

6. Card/Board/Billiard (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. No Favorite (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

8. Sports/Racing (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

9. Strategy (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 chainsawmcgraw

chainsawmcgraw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:35 PM

I've seen multiple comments in the past with people complaining about there being too many shooters ported. And, being the overly-curious guy I am, I was wondering what genre you tend to like/play the most?

(If I missed a genre, let me know and I'll add an option)

#2 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 05:01 PM

Definitely FPS, since it's the most realisitc (in my mind) simulator ever. When would I ever carry a BFG and shoot down ugly pig-looking aliens while surrounded by beautiful half-naked strippers?

Or how else will I ever xperience something remotly similar to walking through a bombed out town in Normandy with hidden snipers shooting at me from invisible locations?

CHAINSAW - did you ever figure out what the avreage age of IMG readers is? :wink:

#3 Dave

Dave

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 07:21 PM

I found this pole very difficult because lately great games are ones that break the norms of standard genres.  For example, my favorite Mac game to date is probably Deus Ex.  What genre is that, role playing, first person, strategy?  Answer, it is all of them.  So while I put role-playing as my favorite genre, I prefer ones that take bits and pieces from each.

#4 isalhala

isalhala

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 08:24 PM

It was hard to chose.  I really enjoy RPGs but the Warcraft series (RTS) is probably one of my favorite of all time.  In the end I chose RPGs.

Oh, and you missed sports/racing games (THPS2, Madden, Star Wars Racer), but you might have done that intentionally considering that there aren't many on the Mac.

#5 AlanCE

AlanCE

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 08:52 PM

I don't see "strategy" which would be Civ3, Combat Mission, Close Combat, etc.
These aren't RTS and they're my favorite genre

#6 Chregu

Chregu

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 12:42 AM

It`s hard to choose one genre.
There was a time when I bought RTS games only. But someday I had to play a real action game again. That `s when I ordered RtCW.
But a all time favorite genre of mine are flight sims.
"It was like that at first," said Ralph, "before things--"
  • 2.2 GHz i7 15" MBP / 4 GB RAM / Radeon 6750M (1.0 GB VRAM) / 750 GB HD
  • 800 MHz PPC G4 / 20" Cinema-Display / 1 GB RAM / Radeon 8500 (64 MB VRAM) / 40 GB HD

#7 JediMattKB

JediMattKB

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 12:49 AM

It's not that I hate FPS games...well, I do...but that's only because I get fragged to all hades whenever I play online. Those kids need to get jobs or soemthing...

If you're an Macintosh FPS fan, you've got it made. Take your pick of the top PC shooters out there: Medal of Honor, No One Lives Forever, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Knight II, Elite Forces, etc. They're all coming to Mac or exist on the Mac. (and people STILL complain "DUDE?! M$ SUCKS! WHERES HALO!?!" Jeeze...)

But, the coolest and bestest RPGs for the PC (Morrowind, Heroes of Might and Magic IV etc.) don't see the light of day on the Mac. That's to say nothing of the MMORPGS (EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot, Asherons Call, Ultima Online, and...the soon to be immortal Star Wars Galaxies), which are lauded to be the Next-Big-Thing in gaming.

All I'm asking for is a little bit of love and a little bit of diversity. I'm sure there's a market for RPGs the same as there is for FPS games...Heck, if the market can tolerate TWO World War II era shooters within 3 months, then it can defiantely stand to have a little Morrowind action. =D

#8 Biablo

Biablo

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 02:23 AM

Could you please add a "Turn Based Strategy" option.
Simulation Train Groping Booths: 3rd largest sector of the Japanese economy

#9 rogue

rogue

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 07:59 AM

There should probably be a choice for "strategy" or "tur-based strategy" which includes games like Heroes of Might and Magic and Civilization.

I voted RPG, but I play all kinds of games. I just can't play most of the newer fps on my laptop.
Macintosh Heroes of Might and Magic
http://strategyplanet.com/homm/mac

#10 Christof Roeyaert

Christof Roeyaert

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 04:02 PM

This is the third time I react to a thread like this one.
I WANT A SPACE COMBAT GAME !!!! ( For those of you who don't know what that is : something like X-Wing or Freespace 2).
Strange, I seem to be the only one who wants a space combat game for the mac. I used to play the two aforementioned games on the pc. I can tell you, using the pc was bad enough, but those games really put a smile on my face. I mean, sitting at the control of an x-wing, dogfighting your way out of trouble (and away from those two tie fighters on your tail), trying to get your torpedoes to lock onto that freighter, the fantastic Star Wars score in the background, the authentic sound effects... ah, no wolfenstein or doom I know of could ever beat that !

#11 AlanCE

AlanCE

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 04:33 PM

Strange, I seem to be the only one who wants a space combat game for the mac.
No, I'd LOVE to play freespace 2 or other games of that ilk on the mac. I gave Terminus a shot, it was very close to being too cool to quit playing, but it ended up being too tedious.
Anyway, a 3D space combat/trading game done well would make me very happy.

#12 ground-LOBP-

ground-LOBP-

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 06:56 PM

I don't see "strategy" which would be Civ3, Combat Mission, Close Combat, etc.
These aren't RTS and they're my favorite genre
Close Combat seems like a real-time strategy game to me.

My favorite genre is RTS (basically Brood War), followed closely by shooters.

#13 isalhala

isalhala

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 07:34 PM

I WANT A SPACE COMBAT GAME !!!!
They're making a game called Vendetta for OS X.  It's a fairly decent space combat game.  You can sign up for the public beta here
http://vendetta.guil...?action=newacct

#14 Psycho Kat

Psycho Kat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2002 - 01:16 PM

Without a doubt, my favorite is RTS! There's nothing like the thrill of finishing a mission in StarCraft (w/o cheats of course!)!!

=D+<

#15 Psycho Kat

Psycho Kat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2002 - 01:19 PM

Sorry 4 the double message =(+<

#16 Eindvijand

Eindvijand

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 05:09 AM

I don't really have a favourite genre. I played adventures, flight sims, beat'em ups, RTS, FPS, whatever...

Just like Dave, I really like games that span different genres.

But more in general, any game that's either a very good execution of it's game "concept" or that "enhances" the genre is a good game in my book.

#17 ground-LOBP-

ground-LOBP-

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 11:05 AM

I WANT A SPACE COMBAT GAME !!!!
They're making a game called Vendetta for OS X.  It's a fairly decent space combat game.  You can sign up for the public beta herehttp://vendetta.guil...?action=newacct
Not to mention Parsec. I do have a two-computer network and - while I rarely have people at my house that are gamers - I had a friend over a couple of days ago, and we spent several hours playing the LAN-test (no Internet play currently available). It's quite fun once you get the hang of it, and I'd imagine the fun would increase exponentially with more than 2 players.