#81 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 28 October 2014 - 02:13 AM, said:

Great. Now I have the image of Jonathan Ive sobbing and eating a donut in my mind…

::Gives the electroshock therapy paddles a big wet lick::  I can get that image out of your mind, 5 bucks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#82 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:36 AM

In a way this is just continuing what they started when all the folder and sidebar icons went monochrome in Leopard or thereabouts. Which was also a bad move.

#83 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#84 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostFrost, on 20 October 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

CCC is the best. Never fails.

Just bought this yesterday, fraking amazing program. I wish i had this years ago.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#85 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

View Postipickert55, on 12 November 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

Just bought this yesterday, fraking amazing program. I wish i had this years ago.

I was happy with CCC, but I switched to SuperDuper when CCC was slow on some patch that I needed (long ago.) I'm happy with SuperDuper too. Having one or the other is essential, I feel.

Even though Time Machine exists I still make bootable backups periodically to external disks (one's in a fire safe, the other I keep offsite.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#86 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

I've been putting off Yosemite for a while now, mainly because of the issue with 3rd party SSD's and TRIM. I also was worried about running without TRIM, not knowing what kind of performance hit to expect.

Yesterday I discovered that I had TRIM disabled already. Apparently some earlier OS upgrade had turned it off without me realizing it. :rolleyes: But while researching it I did learn of a firmware update that Samsung put out for the EVO 840.

So now I'm running Yosemite. I hate the traffic lights and the new Finder icon, but the computer itself feels a lot zippier. (Some of that might be due to the EVO 840 update though.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#87 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 24 November 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

I was happy with CCC, but I switched to SuperDuper when CCC was slow on some patch that I needed (long ago.) I'm happy with SuperDuper too. Having one or the other is essential, I feel.

Even though Time Machine exists I still make bootable backups periodically to external disks (one's in a fire safe, the other I keep offsite.)

I used SD for the loooooongest time but then he got stuck on some bug round 10.7 or 10.8ish and I switched to CC. Actually I still use SD at work for some cloning functions, it's quicker and simpler than CC.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#88 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 24 November 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

I've been putting off Yosemite for a while now, mainly because of the issue with 3rd party SSD's and TRIM. I also was worried about running without TRIM, not knowing what kind of performance hit to expect.

Yesterday I discovered that I had TRIM disabled already. Apparently some earlier OS upgrade had turned it off without me realizing it. :rolleyes: But while researching it I did learn of a firmware update that Samsung put out for the EVO 840.

So now I'm running Yosemite. I hate the traffic lights and the new Finder icon, but the computer itself feels a lot zippier. (Some of that might be due to the EVO 840 update though.)

This is anecdotal, but we've dropped a good number of 3rd party SSDs into MacBooks. On older SSDS, I'm talking pre 2010-2011 120GBish SSDs I occasionally have to refresh the drives with Digiloyd's tools (that essentially force the drive to do it's own maintenance). Anything we've bought in the past few years have had no issues. TRIM just tells the drive that a block is no longer in use and can be discarded, using the drives own garbage collection processes. I have a theory that modern SSDs simply have more aggressive internal garbage collection algorithms that accelerate the standard GC process. I have heard this referred to as foreground garbage collection. My understanding is TRIM is still of some benefit letting the drive immediately take action on discarded data, but it seems that modern SSDs handle the moving and copying of data more efficiently such that we don't see the write amplification issues that slowed down older SSDs. I've also heard keeping 30% free space to let the drive efficiently move around data as needed is paramount.

Long story short, I don't think it's a big issue. And if it becomes one there are ways to refresh the drive.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD