87 replies to this topic

#41 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

I always tend to adopt early and see how goes so far it's been pretty smooth in terms of performance and compatibility - I'm slowly getting used to the new look.

My main annoyance is my machine (Mac Pro 2009) keeps waking from sleep for a few moments every few hours with RTC (Alarm) messages in the console.

I've checked wake on network access is off and that nothing is scheduled. It wouldn't be a problem on a portable or I'm guessing an iMac but on an older Mac Pro the noise of the optical drive check and fans starting is enough to wake me...

Also to re-enable TRIM on my non-Apple SSD would mean disabling the new kext signing feature and I'd rather not go to that extreme so I'm stuck without.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#42 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, enabling trim on third party drives is currently something you dont want to do yet, on Yosemite.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#43 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Looks like Yosemite broke Arkham City. Feral support contacted.

#44 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Only reason im not upgrading right now is Hands Off! compatability.  

It took them quite a while to be compatible with Mavericks, and i rather like my privacy.

#45 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 19 October 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Only reason im not upgrading right now is Hands Off! compatability.  

It took them quite a while to be compatible with Mavericks, and i rather like my privacy.

According to their site version 2.3 was released yesterday with full support for yosemite.

#46 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

I'm starting to loathe the look of the new Safari under Yosemite. Tabs hard to discern, font not dark enough, bookmark bar at top not tall enough, grey too light. Ugh. Don't make me switch to Firefox.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#47 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 19 October 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

I'm starting to loathe the look of the new Safari under Yosemite. Tabs hard to discern, font not dark enough, bookmark bar at top not tall enough, grey too light. Ugh. Don't make me switch to Firefox.

"Tabs too hard to discern" was one of the main reasons I switched Translucency off.

#48 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

people... use.... Safari?  For reals?  Huh, you learn something new every day.

#49 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

For reals. Love it.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

View PostTesseract, on 19 October 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Looks like Yosemite broke Arkham City. Feral support contacted.
Out of curiosity: what's wrong with it?

View PostTetsuya, on 19 October 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

people... use.... Safari?  For reals?  Huh, you learn something new every day.
So do I. From time to time, I try to switch to other browsers, but in the end, I always end back with Safari. Sooner or later, all the popular alternatives just rub me wrong for some reason or the other, like weird interface elements (I always despised Chrome's placement of tabs, for instance), bad or non-existent OS integration (e.g. Firefox's insistence on using its own spell-checker) or some other behaviour that is not as I would like or expect it.

Firefox was always especially problematic for me on Macs, although it's usually my go-to browser under Windows. While it has improved somewhat over the years, I still can't shake the feeling that the Mac version is badly optimised and badly integrated. It also feels slower than any other browser for me, despite what the objective numbers might claim.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

View PostCougar, on 19 October 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

"Tabs too hard to discern" was one of the main reasons I switched Translucency off.
Done. Still looks like crap.

View PostJanichsan, on 20 October 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

So do I. From time to time, I try to switch to other browsers, but in the end, I always end back with Safari. Sooner or later, all the popular alternatives just rub me wrong for some reason or the other, like weird interface elements (I always despised Chrome's placement of tabs, for instance), bad or non-existent OS integration (e.g. Firefox's insistence on using its own spell-checker) or some other behaviour that is not as I would like or expect it.

Firefox was always especially problematic for me on Macs, although it's usually my go-to browser under Windows. While it has improved somewhat over the years, I still can't shake the feeling that the Mac version is badly optimised and badly integrated. It also feels slower than any other browser for me, despite what the objective numbers might claim.
Precisely the same thing. I try other browsers, but keep coming back because each one has something that just doesn't sit right.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#52 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

Ugh. Thankfully I used Carbon Copy Cloner just before updating to Yosemite. I'm reverting back to Mavericks this evening.

And who was the dim bulb over at Apple who thought that changing the behaviour of the green icon in a window's corner was a smart idea? If I want full screen, I'll choose that from the menu! As someone who does this day in and day out, I consider Yosemite a UX fail in too many small ways to live with.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#53 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

Just hold down alt while clicking it, works the same as before then.

#54 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 20 October 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

Just hold down alt while clicking it, works the same as before then.

Thanks, but ... Why change the standard behaviour users have been accustomed to since 2001? Why not make the alt-click the one that makes it full screen?

The usability problem is, of course, when a user now clicks on that green icon and it goes full screen, it's easy enough to get out of. For most people. Maybe 10% of people will be confused and not readily figure out how to get out of full screen mode. I think that's too high, but whatever. As someone who does usability studies on a weekly basis I see frustration a lot. But now, the problem is, how does a user learn how to achieve the behaviour they expected? There is no indication how to use that control (hold alt down and click) to make something expand to fit the screen. They have lost access to something they use and get frustrated. That's the ultimate sin for a UX person.

:wallbash:

Thankfully I didn't update my work laptop.

P.S. Then again, I still have my mouse scrolling the "old" way ... hard to break a muscle habit I've been accustomed to since 1984. My mouse and computer screen are not a tablet, and I don't expect them to act the same way.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#55 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 20 October 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Ugh. Thankfully I used Carbon Copy Cloner just before updating to Yosemite. I'm reverting back to Mavericks this evening.

And who was the dim bulb over at Apple who thought that changing the behaviour of the green icon in a window's corner was a smart idea? If I want full screen, I'll choose that from the menu! As someone who does this day in and day out, I consider Yosemite a UX fail in too many small ways to live with.

Oh man I laid into our Apple rep about that a month or so ago in the dev preview. I was like why did Apple change this functional item that has existed since the beginning of OS X. The full screen right corner worked great.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#56 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 20 October 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

Thanks, but ... Why change the standard behaviour users have been accustomed to since 2001? Why not make the alt-click the one that makes it full screen?
To cater to Windows switchers I assume. I also loathe the full screen function, and I've never really seen anyone use it, except old Windows users who can't break a habit.

#57 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a terminal defaults command to reverse the behavior of the green traffic light button.

BTW, the maximize button never made windows go full screen in Windows.. it just made it full all available space except the taskbar... in other words "expand to fit the screen".  Also, I like the new full screen for certain apps especially media centers, games, and even my browser and using a swiping gesture to switch between them... and I'm not a switcher.. so there. :P If anything that behavior seems to be to cater to iDevice users. Also, (and I feel I'm stating the obvious here) but the old behavior of the green button isn't actually "expand to fit the screen" it's "expand to fit the content". That's why it went to different sizes depending on app and what it contains. There are exceptions of course like iTunes.

Speaking of Windows... I've heard the full screen function in Windows 10 doesn't act like it does in OS X. It doesn't make its own space and then close it when exiting full screen. Instead it's the borderless windowed full screen mode that some apps currently use where it simply takes over the space\desktop that it's in.

Also, I have my mouse scrolling the "old way" as well... and I have no interest in getting used to "natural" scrolling.. (more like unnatural IMO :cool:)

One last thing I'm choosing to NOT be an early adopter this time and wait for certain apps and utilities I use to be ready for Yosemite before I upgrade to it. Particularly the theming software I use for which a 2.0 version is being made for Yosemite right now. So, I'm still using Mavericks here for the time being.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#58 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'm pretty firmly on the "I hate this popsnizzle" wagon. Have Yosemite on my 2TB external just to try it out. This feels like when iOS 7 came along on my iPod/iPad. I'll have to upgrade eventually, but I'm sticking with Mavericks for the time being.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#59 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

And ... back to Mavericks successfully. Thank you Carbon Copy Cloner.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#60 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

CCC is the best. Never fails.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.