#21 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

View Postjeannot, on 05 June 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

I recall that edge AA didn't have any effect either on my system. I will check again.

If it doesn't have any effect (I tested using the opening office at the begining of the game) then that's definitely something with your unofficial card. The FXAA also affects official cards so that's one we can look into easier as we can reproduce the issue.

Let me know what you find.

Edwin

#22 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

Old topic, I know, but maybe not worth starting a new one.

I purchased two stealth augmentations and I'm not seeing any effect on the radar or visual display. I should be seeing noise radius and enemy visual cones, but i don't see anything. Before crying wolf, can someone describe what I should expect, or point me to a screenshot?

(This is a Mac Pro 2008 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 running 10.10.2.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#23 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:09 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 31 March 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

Old topic, I know, but maybe not worth starting a new one.

I purchased two stealth augmentations and I'm not seeing any effect on the radar or visual display. I should be seeing noise radius and enemy visual cones, but i don't see anything. Before crying wolf, can someone describe what I should expect, or point me to a screenshot?

(This is a Mac Pro 2008 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 running 10.10.2.)

What version? Directors Cut on Steam or the Mac App Store version as they are separate games (with separate engines) so have different visual styles and rendering!

Also what augs specifically and have you upgraded them to the correct levels? Some features are only accessible at the higher upgraded levels.

#24 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:28 AM

This is the Director's Cut version on Steam.

However, when I restarted the game this morning to take screenshots the enemy cones of vision were clearly visible. I'm thinking something was wrong until I restarted.

Back in my beta-testing heyday I would have replayed from an old save point to try and repro, but unless you are desperate for more info I shall just keep playing. :-)

As for the noise-distance indicator, I think that still wasn't visible. But I was unable to take screenshots in full-screen so I switched to windowed. Wouldn't you know, now I see a flashing circle as I walk. And I switched back to fullscreen and it's still there.. This one might have been human error I guess. Now I know what to look for I'll holler if it ever stops.

Thanks for the quick response!

Say, I don't suppose you (or anyone) would know of a reason the F-keys wouldn't work in-game? I haven't tried a 2nd keyboard yet, but with the old Apple wired keyboard I'm using, I can't quick-save or -load, and I've had to map functions like turning invisible to other keys. The F-keys work fine outside of the game. It's not urgent but it is puzzling.

Onwards..

#25 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:16 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 01 April 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

Say, I don't suppose you (or anyone) would know of a reason the F-keys wouldn't work in-game? I haven't tried a 2nd keyboard yet, but with the old Apple wired keyboard I'm using, I can't quick-save or -load, and I've had to map functions like turning invisible to other keys. The F-keys work fine outside of the game. It's not urgent but it is puzzling.

Onwards..

I'd check that you have the OS setup for Function keys could be the classic fn/function key feature Apple have where function keys get overridden by their volume and other controls keys. Have you made sure the keyboard is in full function key mode in the System Preferences. Usually that is the issue whenever function keys are the problem.

#26 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

That sounds very likely. To be honest I didn't even know about that setting. I'll try it next time I play.

(I will add that I've never had a game require me to change that setting. Pretty sure F-keys worked in Bioshock Infinite, for instance. So when Feral weighs what Mac-friendly features to add to ports in future, that might be one to keep in mind.)

Thanks again!

#27 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

Well this is interesting. I don't see the checkbox for turning on/off standard function key behavior. This IS an Apple keyboard, but it's somewhat older than the one that came with this PowerMac. My guess is that while it has Apple's F-key behavior OS X doesn't recognize it as needing that checkbox.

Assuming I can't find an OS X hack to change the behavior I'll just have to live with it (or dig out a different keyboard.) Mildly annoying, but not a showstopper.

#28 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:29 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 07 April 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

That sounds very likely. To be honest I didn't even know about that setting. I'll try it next time I play.(I will add that I've never had a game require me to change that setting. Pretty sure F-keys worked in Bioshock Infinite, for instance. So when Feral weighs what Mac-friendly features to add to ports in future, that might be one to keep in mind.)Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestion, the Fn toggle it's an OS Setting so if Fn keys are used you will need to use the OS switch or use the Fn key on your keyboard. There is no way of changing that inside a game (I know we tried), we also specifically test Fn keys with all our games when they are used to make sure they all work as expected.

I think you must have clicked past our friendly reminder the first time you ran the game (or forgot) as we tell users about how Fn keys work and any other relevant items like Pad support via a pop up dialog.

If you can make an Fn key work on another bit of software and the same key doesn't work on a Feral game let me know. I can't think of any way this could happen from the programming side as Fn keys are 100% under Apple control but if you can find a 100% example we can have a look as I would be very interested if some strange edge cases exist.

#29 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

I think you must have clicked past our friendly reminder the first time you ran the game (or forgot) as we tell users about how Fn keys work

True. I ran the game for a few minutes when I bought it so that Feral would get the credit for the sale from Steam. Then it sat on the shelf for a while..

I agree that Feral's current approach (tell the user about the keyboard pref) is perfectly reasonable. My problem is, my old A1048 keyboard (discontinued in 2007) has no F-lock and OS X does not offer me that Fn toggle. (Supposedly this is because old keyboards don't map the Fn keys to other functions. But if that was true, the keys would work in DX:HR.)

The next step is for me to test how the Fn keys behave in other places, compared DX:HR. In theory they should all be the same. If I learn anything new I'll report back.

ps. It might be that Feral could toggle the function keys IF the user granted permission for the game to do so, using Universal Assistance/Accessibility preference panel. That's how utilities like this one apparently do it.

#30 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:35 PM

First I verified that Starcraft II sees this keyboard's function keys normally (verified for F1-F4, F10, and one or two others.) So it's strange that DX:HR wouldn't see my F-keys.

Second, I plugged in a more modern keyboard. The F-toggle option was now visible in the Sys Prefs. I toggled it, then ran DX:HR. The F-keys worked properly in-game for both the new keyboard AND the old one.

Third, I quit the game and unplugged the new keyboard. Then I reran DX. The F-keys on the old keyboard still work(!)

==
It's possible this is an OS error. OS X could have saved the un-toggled setting from back when I used a different keyboard. And that setting was still in effect even though I switched to a keyboard that it shouldn't have applied to.

That doesn't explain Starcraft working though. Is Blizzard somehow reading the F-keys differently? (But not TOO differently-- their forums talk about the need to set the F-toggle, just like Feral's FAQ does.)

Two more things I could test: i) see if Starcraft still reads the keys correctly, now that DX does. ii) See if I can reverse the procedure to make the keys not work again.
Unfortunately I'm out of time for now.

If you think of anything else I can test for you let me know. Regardless, I'll chalk this down as a weird edge case. And at least I seem to found have a workaround.

#31 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:36 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 09 April 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

It's possible this is an OS error. OS X could have saved the un-toggled setting from back when I used a different keyboard. And that setting was still in effect even though I switched to a keyboard that it shouldn't have applied to.

That doesn't explain Starcraft working though. Is Blizzard somehow reading the F-keys differently? (But not TOO differently-- their forums talk about the need to set the F-toggle, just like Feral's FAQ does.)

Totally sounds like an OS X bug where Apple haven't tested older keyboards enough. :) Blizzard don't ship on the MAS so perhaps they use a slightly different/older call for input that works differently (this is just a guess). I know we actively try and use the recommended API from Apple to avoid any issues with AppStore approval, given your keyboard is older perhaps an older input method is more reliable in the cases where much older keyboards are used. However without asking them what calls and methods they use I cannot be sure. :)

Good to know once the OS was unconfused everything started to work as expected.

Thanks!

Edwin