30 replies to this topic

#1 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

Hi, I just bought the game from steam and this is the first Feral port I'm not too happy with.
First, there's no mouse acceleration. I know some (most?) people don't want it in an FPS, but I really can't stand how the mouse behaves in this game. Mouse acceleration is there for a reason, which is to increase precision. Low sensitivity requires huge movements and high sensitivity is too imprecise for a shot. I don't know how people play FPS without mouse acceleration, but personally I can't. I also feel some mouse lag, which makes things worse.
Is there any way to fix that ?

Also, antialising is ineffective, regardless of the settings. I don't know what's with the geometry in this game, but aliasing makes it look particularly awful.
Overall, I though it would run better given it's relatively low graphic quality (compared to, say, the new Tomb Raider).

Right now, I'm not sure I'll finish the game (I have just started).  :unsure:

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm on an 2006 Mac Pro (2.6 GHz), radeon 4870, OS X 10.9.3.

#2 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

You could probably fix mouse accelleration issues with a third-party driver like USB Overdrive, by setting up a custom profile for the game.  I haven't used it in ages though, and i no longer game on a Mac, so i cant say why the AA isn't working.  Playing at native res, though, i didn't even turn it on when i first played it (which was also on a 2006 Pro w/Radeon 4870, under WIndows via Bootcamp) because at 1920x1080, the art style and color pallette made it largely unnoticable to me (i also dont sit 12" from my monitor - more like 20-30" away, so my face isnt right there staring at any potential jaggies).  

Game plays and looks great on my Windows PC, though i know that is little help.  (I assume we're talking about Human Revolution, and not the original Deus Ex)

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

View Postjeannot, on 31 May 2014 - 04:31 AM, said:

Any help would be appreciated.
This game is good, so not finishing it would be a pity! Try Bootcamp. I know this is a Mac forum and maybe suggesting Windows is evil there, but while I'm a long time Mac user, I've completely abandonned Mac gaming, except for older or casual games. The performance difference is astounding between OS X and Windows, as well as the fact DirectX 11 still has some features not present in OS X's OpenGL.

I just verified, since I own the game, and FSAA is working on Windows. (For what's it's worth, I never tried Deus Ex HR on OS X, but I couldn't get FSAA to work in OS X Borderlands 2 either, with a GTX 680.)

As for the mouse issue, you may try this if you go the Bootcamp way. Note I didn't test, since I'm one of those who don't like mouse smoothing. ;) What's your mouse? I use a fairly high resolution mouse (an old 1600 dpi Razer Diamondback) and never felt the need for mouse acceleration; of course, to each its own and I can understand people preferring acceleration, but somehow I suspect most of them have low resolution mice.

#4 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I don't have Windows so bootcamp is not an option. I believe that the mouse fix on Windows is supposed to remove any mouse acceleration because somehow many players don't like it. I'm the other kind of player who can't play without mouse acceleration. I really don't feel like I'm in control of the guy. Controls are jaggy (and I haven't quite understood how the 3rd person mode is supposed to work, most of the time I can't move or take a shot).
But USB overdrive may do the trick about acceleration.
It's strange how this game looks so bad without AA. Much worse than other games. Textures aren't much detailed at all, so the aliased edges really stand out, even though I play at native resolution.

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Bad? Jaggy? No detail???

It sounds like somehow you are playing the game on minimal settings and resolution (like its downgrading for some reason)! I mean... when I played the game, it was breathtaking, fluid, super duper in many ways of the word :)

As for the mouse control... hhmmmm. Yeah, don't know of a way. I'm surprised the Feral guys have not chimed in yet with some solutions, since they ported it n all.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Usually gamers don't want mouse acceleration and most games removes it, anyway i think you can tune your mouse settings for every game with USB Over Drive.
Antialising is less important at high resolution but a 2X is always nice to have. I'm sure Feral will see this thread soon or later and reply to you, otherwise just write a support ticket form their website.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#7 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Personally, even at higher resolution I notice quite the difference with a form of antialiasing on (as long as it's not the EdgeAA that Travelers Tales usually uses). If it's not giving a visual difference then it's not working.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#8 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 01 June 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

Bad? Jaggy? No detail???

It sounds like somehow you are playing the game on minimal settings and resolution (like its downgrading for some reason)! I mean... when I played the game, it was breathtaking, fluid, super duper in many ways of the word :)

For me that doesn't look very good.
Posted Image

This is with FXAA and everything else except SSAO set to high. There's almost no texture applied to objects, it's all uniform beige/grey colors. The gun looks like it's made of painted plastic rather than metal. And as you can see, jaggies and stare case effects everywhere, which are more visible when moving.
As for fluidity, it's running at about 30-40 fps in that scene (with no other characters on screen). I believe it was lower than 20 when I was fighting against some guards.

EDIT: this forum won't let you view the image at native resolution, so downsampling reduces the aliasing (just like FSAA does). You need to open it in a separate window.
EDIT2: the image hosting site somehow resized the image, even though I told it not to. Oh well.
EDIT3: found another hosting site that wouldn't resize the image.

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

That IS a lot of jaggies ... hmm.

As for the textures, this game is set in the future, where things tend to be clean and tidy (walls, and surfaces). It gets a bit guttural in the slums though, and city street areas. Right now it looks as you are in the in initial 'labs' building, which is very sterile and clean.

Its actually by design of the developers on that one, to make things a clean look, than all rough and dirty. Guns too.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#10 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, FXAA (like most types of antialiasing) is supposed to give a noticeable improvement. In that screenshot I would say it's simply not working. I'm practically tearing my eyeballs on all those jaggies. :bleedingeyes: There was a time when FXAA did a minimal difference while halving the frame rate. But this was early on with games like Duke Nukem Forever that used early versions of it.

As for the complaints about detail.. yeah. It seems to be a stylistic choice in Deus EX HR. There are textures in that scene. Games using the same engine later on such as Tomb Raider have higher overall level of detail at all times.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#11 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

Most guns these days ARE painted plastic and/or polycarbonate for a great deal of their body.  Usually only parts of the receiver and the barrel itself are metal.  I expect that to be even more true in the future, especially as carbon fiber and several of its derivative composites take the place of traditional metals.

And, at least in the area you're in - the walls and stuff aren't supposed to look textured.  Theyre supposed to look like clean labs, with walls that are probably extruded in-place as a single piece of smooth composite.  

The game definitely has parts where things look more gritty and textured.  The slums of Detroit look pretty accurate (I live in Michigan =P).  

The Jaggies, yeah... i did NOT have that problem playing on the PC.  That might be a  Mac port issue or an issue with your particular GPU or something where the AA isn't enabling even though you tell it to.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:36 AM

As for the textures: as already mentioned, that's the game's art design. It's supposed to look like that.

The amount of jaggies however is not normal. On my Retina MBP with the 650M and OS X 10.9.3, FSAA definitely works and has an effect. Even on the lowest level, it's noticeable, though not the best AA I've seen. I'd guess the game has issues with your GPU.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:18 AM

Yes I figured there must be a problem with my GPU. On CS:GO and dota 2 antialiasing doesn't work either. But it does work on Tomb Raider and Borderlands 2, which both use FXAA.

#14 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

e-mail support and we can have a look.

The mouse acceleration is how the game is designed to work at a deep level so I don't think we can change that. It was changed due to a large number of requests and given how the code works back porting the other version might be more pain that it is worth. You are also the only person to mention it out of the thousands of users. I'd love to make everyone happy but the number of effected users is an important factor in choosing what to fix first as we have limited resources so although it's been added to a have a look list it's pretty low on the list right now.

The graphics issue you need to contact support with a support report etc and we can have a look but it looks like it's something specific to your hardware. You don't happen to have a none standard graphics card (i.e. PC card flashed etc)?

Edwin

#15 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 04 June 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

The graphics issue you need to contact support with a support report etc and we can have a look but it looks like it's something specific to your hardware. You don't happen to have a none standard graphics card (i.e. PC card flashed etc)?
Yes I have a flashed radeon 4870.
I guess I won't get any support then. :shy:

#16 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:14 AM

View Postjeannot, on 04 June 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yes I have a flashed radeon 4870.
I guess I won't get any support then. :shy:

If the bug only effects flashed cards then it's unlikely as the issue will be in the firmware/hardware and not something we could fix. Given you apparently have issues in other titles it suggests the issue is with the firmware/hardware combo. However we will have a look on a similar AMD series here at the office to see if it affects any official hardware.

Edwin

#17 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

It appears the AMD HD4000 does have a driver bug that we are hitting with FXAA (I reproduced it on an AMD 4000 iMac), however EDGE works fine so I'd swap to that for now. I'll get the bug logged with AMD when we can and flag the bug to be looked at by dev when we have time as we might be able to work around it as I know we have gotten FXAA working on that series before. The newer AMD 5000 and newer cards work fine as do Nvidia and Intel cards.

However I do know the AMD4000 series is pretty much end of life now in terms of driver development so I cannot promise anything.

Edwin

#18 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

Just my 2p here but.. EdgeAA never gave me noticable improvement in my games here in particular the LEGO games (or any game I've tried it in). I kinda wish TTGames would implement FXAA/MLAA/TXAA into the LEGO games instead of just sticking to that. < out of those three my favorite is FXAA at the moment... Although, when possible i like to combine it with (at least a small amount of) another type of AA. :)
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#19 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 05 June 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

Just my 2p here but.. EdgeAA never gave me noticable improvement in my games here in particular the LEGO games (or any game I've tried it in). I kinda wish TTGames would implement FXAA/MLAA/TXAA into the LEGO games instead of just sticking to that. < out of those three my favorite is FXAA at the moment... Although, when possible i like to combine it with (at least a small amount of) another type of AA. :)

Given I have been staring at tiny aliasing for the last 30 mins I can definitely confirm EDGE makes a noticeable improvement compared to no FSAA in DXHRDC. That said FXAA usually gives better overall results when available as Smoke Tetsu mentions :)

#20 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

I recall that edge AA didn't have any effect either on my system. I will check again.