#1 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

This has so far been the year of hard drive failure. Maybe the giant EMP lamp was a bad idea?

For some hard drives like the original one in my 2007 iMac, it was their time to go. Maybe even the external hard drive, too. Thankfully they at least waited until I replaced one before the other checked out for good. The external was a Toshibia in an OWC Mercury Elite. It lasted about three years, which I suppose is okay for  a hard drive. I did though decide to replace it with a fan cooled enclosure to see if that would make any difference. I am now trying to decide if I should just use that for Time Machine and get a different one for my music and games. Any thoughts?

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

Just get a high capacity 7200 rpm drive. Go with a Seagate Barracuda, or a Western Digital Black.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

^ What he said. Especially the current 3TB Barracudas (ST3000DM001). They're dirt cheap, quiet, huge capacity, low power, low heat, reliable, and extremely fast.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

Okay, thanks guys. I lost mostly just Time Machine back ups, steam games, and some MP3s, though thankfully had most of the latter backed up.

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

I kinda went into this problem myself recently. I had an enclosure (USB) that I always just plugged into my mac and let time machine do its thing, then I would unplug and keep it in a safe place whenever I left the house etc so on.

Then I wanted to replace the internal drive with something bigger™... so I opened it up, and found it had a WD Green drive in it (not the most fast drive, but low power/heat, reliable). So I went and bought a 2TB WD Green to replace it.

Well, I got that drive in, and I had no amount of failures on both the mac, and pc, time machine/windows backup. Even disk utility was like 'what happened to this drive?!' after a failure time machine (it basically ripped up the drive formatting).

So I sent that drive back with a replacement sent out (good ole amazon!)... and the replacement did the same thing. So I came to the conclusion that the drive itself wasn't failing, but rather my enclosure just cannot handle the 2TB for some odd reason. Like, WD changed the way the Greens behave, and the new ones just dont work. The new Green uses less power, so its not like the enclosure couldn't power it. It was just something else.

I ended up sticking that 2TB Green into my PC as a dedicated backup drive for my steam directory and windows backup's weekly image. I may set it up to backup my HTPC over the wireless if I ever figure that out.

ANYHOW, TL:DR: this is just a story that sometimes, replacing a HDD inside an enclosure could have negative side effects. So if you are planning on using an old enclosure, just be aware of that.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

The WD Greens and Blues are pretty low quality drives. I've had 2 greens and a blue die on me in less then a year.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

I've had a couple greens last many years (cant recall when I bought them) and also have had 4 blues never yet die.

As with all tech (it seems these days), its completely hit or miss, period. Like, I got 3 defective ASUS monitors in a row, when people claim they are 'high quality' ;) And I've gotten many a WD drive over the years, and only had 1 DOA (dead before it began)... while all others still run, far longer than every single seagate I've had. Go figure eh?

Stupid cheap manufacturing of today... grr.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 29 May 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

The WD Greens and Blues are pretty low quality drives. I've had 2 greens and a blue die on me in less then a year.
Same. WD Black drives have done well for me. The one that originally shipped in my Quad G5 was still alive and well when the WD Velociraptor took its place in 2012, and said Velociraptor has been great since. That said, 33% of blues failed within the first two years, and one Green I had died inside a year. High-end WD products have been fantastic, but I've had bad luck with their lower-end offerings.

I've had great luck with Seagate OTOH. Currently everything I have is Seagate except the Velociraptor in my G5, HGST 6TB in my Time Capsule, and Crucial SSDs. Last ten years the only Seagate drive that's had a problem was one in my NAS, and it alerted me via S.M.A.R.T. with plenty of advance notice to move everything off. Seagate was nice enough to overnight me a replacement free of charge after calling in about it and provided me with a shipping label to send back the defective drive at my convenience. Good CS on their part.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.