Looking for a keyboard. The dreaded search is on.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Thats a weird looking one. Nice method the put the arrow keys on it, without all that keypad stuff.

Back in the day I lived and breathed keypad control only (something about WASD bugged my hand out vs the straight grid of keypad). Sadly as years went on, and games further and further stopped working well with the keypad key setup (for stupid reasons like bad pc ports, to just being lazy to understanding how to remap keys to keypad versions of 1 2 3 4 etc)... that I've now grown over to using WASD.

So, in short, the above keyboard would never have appealed to me because it doesnt have a keypad. NOW, I actually never use keypad, so its just extra desk wasting junk!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#62 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 04 June 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

Thats a weird looking one. Nice method the put the arrow keys on it, without all that keypad stuff.

Back in the day I lived and breathed keypad control only (something about WASD bugged my hand out vs the straight grid of keypad). Sadly as years went on, and games further and further stopped working well with the keypad key setup (for stupid reasons like bad pc ports, to just being lazy to understanding how to remap keys to keypad versions of 1 2 3 4 etc)... that I've now grown over to using WASD.

So, in short, the above keyboard would never have appealed to me because it doesnt have a keypad. NOW, I actually never use keypad, so its just extra desk wasting junk!

It's the same layout as my Matias Laptop Pro, just using the clicky switches instead of the quiet switches. I think they do a lot in the thought process for their layouts, everything feels fluid vs other boards I've used. Dem updated alps, it really is my childhood in a click. But they are rather noisy (though not Cherry Blue noisy) and I'm sure the wife would murderinate me if I swapped this for the Quiet Pro.

I used to live in the keypad for all of Spiderwebs RPGS, they used to be the best way to do movement. Keypad to move, keyboard to do all the other commands. I would get super pissed I didn't have a keypad when I was playing them on my iBook back in the day. Alas in recent years he's gotten away from that and I find I don't use my keypad at all. I now find myself wishing I had bought a 10keyless for my Mac Pro so the mouse could be closer in. My old wrist desires it. Maybe I'll bring my CM Storm w/Browns to work and bring the Laptop Pro home to use on the Mac Pro.

FYI I'm really really dum and Ordered a CM Storm with Cherry Greens.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#63 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

Green Cherries? Dude... they aint ripe yet!

;)

Speaking of green... this DeathStalker seems to be working out ok. On occasion I find myself lifting my hand and figuring out where to situate (since by feel, there is no gap between caps and A). But I'm getting more used to it. The super flat, and thin keyboard works out well on my desk and wrist.

I don't know what people were complaining about it having a very sharp 'edge' where the wrist is. The keyboard is so slim, its hard to even feel it when the arm is level. I mean, my DESK edge is sharper than the keyboard is ;-)

The weird thing about the keyboard, is I'm starting to see a bit of a sheen to the black keys. But not of the keys I am using. Like e r t, f g h, c v b are all showing this darker kinda oily look to them. But my fingers have been mostly pounding away at q w e a s d z x c and spacebar. Yet those keys look still 'flat' like all the fully unused keys on the right side. Go figure. Its almost like my fingers are 'spraying' oil out the side of them from all the action! lol ... ew.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#64 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 04 June 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

Heh! I'm still doggedly refusing to move away from the keypad. 8426 forever! I also use it for number entry. It's a holdover from being a keyboarder in Marathon days.

Support's actually pretty decent these days. The only game I've had trouble with is Dead Space 1, but I use my DualShock 4 for the Dead Spaces anyway. Well, and Call of Duty: World at War (aka the last good CoD). But I figured that one out: you have to turn numlock OFF to assign keypad keys, then turn it back on to use them. Nice programming job.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#65 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Marathon :) Yep, I was a keypad+mouser. On an old ADB keyboard that only allowed 2 keys at a time (plus any modifiers), so I had ended up rigging a second command key stuck to the keyboard under the keypad 'enter' to allow me to move, sidestep AND pop off grenades at the same time (since I didn't have a two button mouse back then that worked with marathon).

-Fm [1oM7]

#66 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

FYI: Mass Drop is doing a group buy of the Matias Tactile Mini right now.

https://www.massdrop...mode=guest_open
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#67 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:04 AM

Thread Necro!

I had been looking for another 10-keyless Mechanical for quite some time - i actually really like my Razer Black Widow TE (which i use on this Mac), but for my PC, as i often play with the lights off, i wanted one that was backlit.  There really werent a lot out there i was impressed with - but a buddy recently got a Corsair K65 RGB and i tried it out and really liked it, so i grabbed one for myself the other day.  

Other than having to gert used to the lack of a tactile click (important for typing, not as much for gaming) because the board uses CHerry MX Reds, im quite impressed.  Its solid, the actuation is good, and the build quality is extremely high - the board itself is black brushed aluminum and doesnt fully encase the keys, making cleaning super easy and it actually has a really industrial look to it.  The backlits are adjustable to any of 16.5 million colors and the keys are individually backlit; you can even program it to do all sorts of weird stuff (one guy wrote a Matrix-style falling letters look for it) - like ripple out from keypresses, change colors when pressed, all sorts of stuff.  

Its a bit pricey at 149$ for a 10-keyless, but the only other companies i even found making them fully backlit were Rosewill (.. eww) and Ducky, and those didn't have the changing color option (and the Ducky only came in white, which is a bit harsh for me if the lights are off), so i gave it a go.  

I'd probably have picked up the Razer Chroma if they made it in the Tournament Edition/10 keyless, but Razer missed that boat, and im pretty happy with the Corsair.

#68 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've been hearing good things about Logitech's new G910 Orion Spark too. Apparently it's great for folks who like the feel of mechanical but can't stand the clicking clack noise. Haven't tried it out yet, but it's piqued my interest.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.