Looking for a keyboard. The dreaded search is on.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

I had a portable drive once that went to sleep after like 3 minutes. Bugged. The. Hell. out of me.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#42 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 14 May 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

I had a portable drive once that went to sleep after like 3 minutes. Bugged. The. Hell. out of me.

My WD Green drive does this in its external usb case. Causes the system to hang sometimes when it spins back up, especially when I try to eject it, and its spun down, it spins up then ejects, then spins down. Silly thing. But its a backup drive, so I don't mind, and don't keep it "ON" all the time, only when I let time machine or superduper do their thing.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#43 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Spent two hours at MicroCenter today looking at their keyboards (and monitors, different topic).

They had a Ducky, the DeathStalker, the K40. They didn't have the Sidewinder X4, nor any Matias. Also had some more Logitechs, but I didn't care to look at them.

The Ducky surprised me by how nice it felt, and was decent size, and compact, and a very straight forward "here it is" keyboard.

The DeathStalker though felt nice, with its slim keys, and spacing, and slim overall keyboard. Nothing about it struck me as lame or offputting. So I picked it up and will mess with it through the weekend.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#44 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

My CM Storm Quickfire Stealth was waiting for me when I got home. I have to say the Browns aren't all that much quieter than the blue's. Not compared to the Matias Quiet Click switches anyway. Somehow this board feels less "cheap" than the Razer, even though it cost half as much. If cheap is a way of quantifying a keyboard's feel. Overall I still think Matias Quiet Click Switches have a better feel for daily use. I do like the front print style of these keycaps, you'll never wear down the print.

http://imgur.com/a/SUYFn#0

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#45 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Heh, thats pretty crazy, interesting idea to print on the side of the keys.

Its a shame my MicroCenter didn't have any Mattias to try out.

-Fm [1oM7]

#46 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

I've been playing RA2 a bit down here now and the Browns are growing on me. This board has a way better feel to it than the blackwidow. The keys on that thing had a weird feel, like in a couple years they would start melting in your fingers. I definitely like them better than the blues. And the size of this 10keyless is nicer than the Laptop Pro (granted it doesn't have a giant battery in it). This will make a fine retro PC gaming keyboard. I think the Matias Quiet Clicks are the better daily typers. One of these days I need to get drunk and order a regular matias keyboard to see how they hold up to my old Apple Extended II.

You all don't know how much it pleases me to see you become keyboard addicts. Errrone but my friend nate thinks I'm cray cray. Just use whatever it came with they say.

Maybe I when I get drunk and order that matias regular I also get drunk and mail you my quiet click to test for a week, it's not like I don't have an abundance of boards to use and I really think they have the better switch, but not better marketing.

#47 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 19 May 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

see how they hold up to my old Apple Extended II.

My uncle still has six of those sitting around (the beige mechanical with the Power Key that was ADB) in the basement of his wife's office, where all of his Macs went to retire/die.  He's got everything from original 128k Mac's through G3s down there... and a pile of those keyboards.  If i was better with a soldering iron, i'd make myself an ADB-USB adapter and nab them.  He has no idea what kind of gold mine he's sitting on.

#48 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Haha yeah those were nice keyboards! ADB ... that brings back memories...

-Fm [1oM7]

#49 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 19 May 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

My uncle still has six of those sitting around (the beige mechanical with the Power Key that was ADB) in the basement of his wife's office, where all of his Macs went to retire/die.  He's got everything from original 128k Mac's through G3s down there... and a pile of those keyboards.  If i was better with a soldering iron, i'd make myself an ADB-USB adapter and nab them.  He has no idea what kind of gold mine he's sitting on.

Posted Image

#50 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Can you actually convert ADB to USB and still get all the keypresses? Might be worth looking into.

-Fm [1oM7]

#51 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

DeathStalker preliminary results:

Well, after I got DeadIsland running fluid again with mouse/kb, I got a bit sucked into it over the weekend. Since its fairly keyheavy (lot of various keys to push during normal gameplay), I was able to get a good idea how this new DeathStalker KB worked out.

Its different. I cannot really say anything truly bad about the keyboard, but it does have a few weird things (these are not necessarily negatives), which may all go away with time.

1) The key font is odd. Some keys, since I'm a glancer, throw my brain for a loop when I see them. Especially the "r" which is a key I tend to initially glance too to get my bearings. Over time I'm sure I will learn the new letter font.

2) No gap between 'A' and 'Caps Lk'. I know my macbookpro keyboard doesn't have a gap (but I dont game on my work machine), but I had relied on that gap a lot for gaming to situate my hand after reaching for a key during gaming. Mis-landing my hand is life or death in fps games. So time will tell if I get used to the missing 'locator gap'.

3) Wrist rest (which is built in, non-removable) has a sticky feel to the skin. It has a different 'pad' of teflon label or something on it, that is not matted plastic. When wrist gets a bit warm with lots of gaming, it can start to stick bad. Maybe this is by design to prevent your hand from slipping? I find it a bit distracting, but it may go away with time/wear down. I could also rip the label out and glue in black melamine, which would be a non-sticky surface.

4) The backlight has a low hz. Not really noticeable while gaming, thankfully, but when on desktop or reading a lot of text (like a mission log) there is a distinct shimmering in the lower peripheral of my vision caused by the backlighting. I'm sure time will get me used to it, and its not often I'm reading mounds of text on that game rig. Just something odd to note about the keyboard. It does have a fluid lighting level setting which is amazing. Its not 1,2,3,off light levels, its actually a smooth gradual setting to your liking.

5) Keys are a bit harder to push than the MBP chicklets. They require a bit more oomph... to get past the hump. This may wear in over time, maybe not, or maybe my fingers will grow more muscle memory to push harder without thinking about it. Its not a HUGE pressure, but noticeable.

6) Initially my hand was cramping something awful. It may be due to the elevated keyboard and flatness or the positioning of keys or something. However I believe its just a combination of A) hand needs to bend to something new and will grow to it ok over time, B) I hadn't actually been playing any heavy keyboard-fps games in a long while... been playing a lot of those 3rd person action games with my xbox controller! LOL ... so my hand was out of shape.

Overall, I can live with this keyboard. It may not be perfect... but I CAN live with it, and I believe a lot of the odd things will go away with time using it as I get more used to it and work in the feel. It wasn't as shockingly horrible as that G710+, so it has that going for it ;)

I will say one thing about keypress tech:

I realized the way I use a keyboard, I could never use any of those MX Red or Green switch keyboards. Those are the mechanical which have a unobstructed smooth press (no tactile bumps or clicks). Why? Well, I rest my fingers on the keys, ready to push, while gaming (and I've noticed even when I'm just sitting there reading something). My fingers rest, and the tactile 'hump' prevents my fingers from registering the keys. Without that stopper, I would be accidentally pushing keys left and right all over the place as the weight of my resting would keep pushing down till it bottoms out.

-Fm [1oM7]

#52 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 19 May 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Posted Image
Someone else uses a CRT!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#53 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 20 May 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

Can you actually convert ADB to USB and still get all the keypresses? Might be worth looking into.

Unsure about the simultaneous keypresses, but there are a few commercial adapters and a guide to making one.

#54 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostFrost, on 20 May 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Someone else uses a CRT!

And he thwarts danger with liquids next to it!

-Fm [1oM7]

#55 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 20 May 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

And he thwarts danger with liquids next to it!
Used bottles, cans, goodies, and extra plugs and stuff. Now that is a gamer desktop.

My desktop looks like a spaz uses it; it's neat and organized.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#56 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Count me in the spaz group then. I even put cables in a rail system so they are not strangled about :(

Or, I'm just lazy, because its far easier to dust a desk without clutter, than it is when there is clutter! Thats it! I'm lazy!

-Fm [1oM7]

#57 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostFrost, on 20 May 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Someone else uses a CRT!

This is my Retro Gaming PC in the basement. It's a mess down there, the basement flooded last year when the city sewers backed up and I've never gotten around to fixing the walls. Kinda want to put the plastic panels in but they cost much dinero. It's where I retire for "cough" adult beverages. I keep a few CRT monitors and TVs around because scaling most old games on LCDs looks like garbage, especially as the resolutions have shot through the roof.

If it makes you feel better here is what is directly to the right and above the illustrious retro Compaq. And by better I mean more mess.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Or maybe these will get your OCD pumping. Just look at the random piles of things. LOOK AT THEM. And dat wega but mostly the piles.

Posted Image

My Mac Pro upstairs has a much cleaner desk/surrounding. I'm just not down here very much and when I am it's sure not because I want to be organizing.

http://i.imgur.com/gNAPuDxl.jpg

#58 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

Heh, heaps. And the young one learning early on to game :)

-Fm [1oM7]

#59 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 21 May 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Heh, heaps. And the young one learning early on to game :)

He mostly plays minecraft. I figure there's worse things he could be doing.

#60 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

I'm so dum. I'm almost getting to the point of having more mechanical keyboards than computers. Almost. And only if you discount a half dozen ADB computers.

Posted Image