Epic announces new Unreal Tournament game, will be on Mac!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Read all about it! https://www.unrealen...nt-begins-today

This sounds really cool. New Unreal Engine 4 based UT game with focus on Mac, PC & Linux. Yes! No console crap.

Other highlights:

It will be free, not free to play, free!

They are doing an open development/open-source approach. Should be Epic to watch! (see what I did there.)

Who else is excited for this? :) Of course it will take awhile to make, but this is the best news ever for me.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#2 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

This is great although I still want a proper followup to the single player game in the original unreal. Preferably a massive open world FPS game on an alien world that you explore.

Also I hope it turns out well considering the first UE4 game has turned out in such a bad state... http://www.dsogaming...mance-analysis/
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#3 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

They said that they will be working with a lot of modders, so it seems likely that one of them will create a mod that continues the story.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Fantastic! Hopefully they're more true to the UT1 roots and not some of the weird gameplay directions they went in later. UT1 and Halo PC are still the most fun I've ever had playing a competitive shooter, by far.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

I used to play UT'99 a lot with friends but played Unreal 1 MP on the internet more than it. I quite liked Unreal 1... especially the single player campaign.

BTW, I fully expect modders to pretty much pump out deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF, etc. maps rather than make a sprawling single player game based on Unreal 1.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#6 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:21 AM

Bashing bots on godlike, destroying friends on LAN. Those were times :-D

UT3 port -> All forgotten? :-))

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

I hope we get someone to mod Unreal 1 & 2 in this engine.. That would be so sweet.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

That's excellent news. :D I almost had given up all hope for a new UT.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostFrost, on 08 May 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

Fantastic! Hopefully they're more true to the UT1 roots and not some of the weird gameplay directions they went in later. UT1 and Halo PC are still the most fun I've ever had playing a competitive shooter, by far.

The only thing i liked about 2k3/4 was Onslaught.  I didnt care for UT3 at all.  UT99 is still my favorite by far.  I was a crack shot with the Flak Cannon alt fire.  Plant that sucker right on top of people's heads.

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 09 May 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

The only thing i liked about 2k3/4 was Onslaught.  I didnt care for UT3 at all.  UT99 is still my favorite by far.
I never played enough UT3 to get a real opinion due to the lack of a Mac version, but I agree: UT'99 was the best so far and still holds its ground.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 09 May 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

The only thing i liked about 2k3/4 was Onslaught.  I didnt care for UT3 at all.  UT99 is still my favorite by far.  I was a crack shot with the Flak Cannon alt fire.  Plant that sucker right on top of people's heads.
Same. I quite enjoyed the addition of Onslaught, but I wish the other modes and the core gameplay had stayed the same. Double domination sucked compared to domination, for instance, and the decision to halve the size of characters I always thought was really weird.

I liked UT3 and thought the gameplay was closer to UT than UT200x was, but it still wasn't as good. I didn't care for the Gears of War design redirection (300-pound steroidmen wearing 200 pounds of non-functional armor) they put on UT either.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

I haven't played a shooter in a very long time, not since UT2004 was my go-to multiplayer game. If there is any shooter that could bring me back, it would be a good new UT game.

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

It was recently brought to my attention that the current pre-alpha version of the game is also available for Mac. You have to register with Epic on UnrealTournament.com, download (yet another) dedicated client, and then you can download the most recent build of the game.

Make no mistake: the game is really, really unfinished – but playable. The performance on my 2012 rMBP (2.6 GHz i7, Geforce GT 650M and OS X 10.10.3) isn't great: I had to lower the details all the way and reduce the resolution to 1280x800 to have it run more or less smoothly. I can't say whether the game is really so demanding or just simply not optimised. Probably both.

#14 Nickburger

Nickburger

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Steam Name:Nickburger

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:44 PM

The spirit is willing but my computer is weak!

Well, here goes the download anyway.

#15 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hopefully they'll recreate that low gravity UT map where you leapt from tower to tower, if someone didn't manage to blast you off course and into the abyss.

The only time i had more fun was playing Descent, and hey, that's got a new version in the works as well. Good times!
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 April 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

It was recently brought to my attention that the current pre-alpha version of the game is also available for Mac. You have to register with Epic on UnrealTournament.com, download (yet another) dedicated client, and then you can download the most recent build of the game.

Make no mistake: the game is really, really unfinished – but playable. The performance on my 2012 rMBP (2.6 GHz i7, Geforce GT 650M and OS X 10.10.3) isn't great: I had to lower the details all the way and reduce the resolution to 1280x800 to have it run more or less smoothly. I can't say whether the game is really so demanding or just simply not optimised. Probably both.

I have a feeling it eventually will be a well optimized game but yeah, I'm sure it probably has no optimizations at all so early in its development. I would expect too that it is loaded with debugging code slowing it down further. I wouldn't expect a build with the debug code out until a late beta unless they wanted some performance testing results at some point closer to release.

This is exciting stuff. I love this kind of game. I enjoyed the original games and the quake games too. There's nothing like good arena shooting action.

I think I'll head over there and register then give whatever current build there is a spin on my iMac and see how it does here. Thank you for the updated news and the link to that.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#17 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

I was thinking to myself today "Self? Why haven't you tried out that new Unreal Tournament game that Epic has been working on?" I must admit I panicked a little because myself answered back, and you know that's one of the signs of madness.

"Well, apart from not wanting to hose my Mac with pre-alpha software? There's running a game that's not optimized for OS X and that's probably gonna run like a slideshow!"

Well, I did download it. I went to the Unreal Tournament site, and got it, thinking that it would be unplayable, on my late 2012 iMac, just like Metro Redux is.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I had to reduce most of the settings, but I was able to set it for 1080p res , with FXAA on, and get what feels like between 25-35 fps!

​It has one finished map - Outpost - and about a dozen unfinished maps. You can play against bots or online human folk, add mutators, the whole jazz.

It's looking amazing, and feels just like UT, like you''d imagine it would, given its pedigree! I've only jumped onto a few online games, but the match server works like you'd imagine, and lag is not there. It did crash out on me once, but that's it.

Try it! You'll love it!!
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#18 Mitch D

Mitch D

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:38 PM

I'm hoping to see this game advance and get amazing.   Loved playing early UT which was team oriented and strategic play.  Before it became a fragfest of death. Capture the flag was fun on the big maps