Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostFrost, on 18 May 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

I think that's the one you can get a g-sync mod for later on down the line if you want too.

Yup, currently at $200, so I may wait a bit to see if that mod drops or someone else starts making the mod. Its a very specific new set of boards you piggyback on inside the monitor. Kind of crazy.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#62 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

New monitor came in. Set it up next to the VX238H and my old ViewSonic so I could compare any odd things.

A part from a very tiny dead pixel-part (its not the whole pixel, its just a sliver which changes color depending on where I sit), it seems to be in good working condition. RIght out of the box the only real adjustment I had to do was bring down that brightness to 25. The colors actually looked good as is, black levels are really deep, whites are very intense too. Good colors on the gradient tests. I did tweak the blue 1 pt down to giev a wee bit more warmth.

Overall I say this is good to go!

My computer doesn't like two monitors at different hz though ;) Windows issue, nothing to do with monitors, and when I return the piece of crap VX, I will be done to just the one normally so that won't be an issue.

I gotta say though, setting it to 144hz and just moving my cursor around made drop my jaw. It was like I was dragging a piece of paper across the screen it was so smooth/flicker-free/blur-free. It was sick :)

No jaggy/dotted lines.

I ran Hitman Sniper Challenge real quick, and it was very smooth and nice in-game. Mmm. I think I'm going to like this monitor.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#63 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Oh, I would NOT recommend this monitor for anyone coming from a CRT. Although it looks good during the daytime, at night its very evident just how bad the black levels are (compared to like a CRT). So, just wanted to add that. The backlight in this thing is about on the lumens of a dwarf star. No amount of liquid crystals is gonna cover that up well enough to match your CRT :)

-Fm [1oM7]

#64 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 22 May 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

The backlight in this thing is about on the lumens of a dwarf star.
:lol:

Yeah, that ROG Swift is about the only LCD that's possibly tempting me based off all the glowing reports of the people who saw it at CES. I'll have to see it in action first. And the price will have to drop. More than likely I'll keep cruising on CRT for a while longer. Smooth action and blacks that are black hole black FTW. ;)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#65 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostFrost, on 22 May 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Yeah, that ROG Swift is about the only LCD that's possibly tempting me based off all the glowing reports of the people who saw it at CES. I'll have to see it in action first. And the price will have to drop. More than likely I'll keep cruising on CRT for a while longer. Smooth action and blacks that are black hole black FTW. ;)

Thats one of the problems with seeing monitors in the wild (or at shows). They are in an environment where your eyes are constricted (not dilated)... so you perceive the monitor as having much darker blacks than what it will have in your room late at night while gaming/watching movies.

Like this VG, during the day its colors and white/black are brilliantly wonderful. But at night... the lack luster darks are kinda effy.

-Fm [1oM7]

#66 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:32 AM

My BenQ is much the same, crazy bright backlight. The 120 Hz and low input lag are pretty great though.

Affordable OLED monitors can't come soon enough…

#67 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostTesseract, on 24 May 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

Affordable OLED monitors can't come soon enough…

I figure by the time THAT happens, I will be ready to purchase a new one of those ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#68 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

To paraphrase tBC, an affordable OLED monitor that's at least 24" with no input lag, perfect blacks, running at 100+ Hz would make up to $1000 fly out of my account so fast the windows in my bank would implode.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#69 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

How's things with the VG248QE after a few days?

Going back to multimonitor is something I've been kicking around for months, and I'm evaluating options for picking up an LCD to use as the second screen, with the ability to pull double duty as a travel/LAN party monitor for my MacBook Pro, Tiki, and PS4. I don't expect it to have the godlike image quality and responsiveness of my FW9011, but at the same time saying a hulking 95-pound vacuum tube does not exactly travel well would be a massive understatement. VG248QE's currently vying with one other for the top of the list spec-wise. Can't decide if high refresh rate or better colors is more important. Refresh rate would be if it was the primary, but it's not, so, hmm.

The fact that I could have everything plugged into both monitors at once, eliminating the need for any KVM is pretty damned enticing... Quadro multimonitor over DVI-I and DVI-D, Titan multimonitor over DVI-I and DisplayPort, and the PS4 just to HDMI. Every other monitor I'm looking at except those two, I'd need to mess with adapters or switches.

Eric5h5:

#70 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:36 PM

I'm tempted to get one of those ultra-slim LED monitors ( the cheap ones that are like $150) for LANing. My VG236H (same size as VG248) is kinda large by LCD monitor standards, and is a pain to transport
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#71 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:58 AM

Played with a range of monitors for a while at Worst Buy and Micro Center. I just... coming off a CRT, I can't do 6-bit color, even for the awesomeness of 144Hz, and the viewing angles put me off of TN panels all over again.

Currently torn between the Asus MX279H and Eizo FS2333. Both are rated at the top of the game for IPS displays as far as input lag and response time and are rated as having fantastic color. MX279H is an order of magnitude nicer aesthetically, larger, only $20 more expensive than the VG248QE. But there are a lot of reviews complaining about excessive backlight bleed, and Amazon even having a notice posted warning about it makes me instantly uneasy. And 27" is kinda stretching 1080p to the breaking point.

FS2333 is smaller, a good deal more than I want to spend, and aesthetically ugly, but the panel and underpinnings are top shelf and everybody who touches it seems to fall madly in love with it and raves about it. It has zero backlight bleed, is faster than most TN panels despite being IPS (custom high-speed scaler), and a bulletproof overlong 5-year warranty with well-reviewed customer support from Eizo versus Asus' unloved support. The extra $100 is getting a lot. But it's still an extra $100 for what is just a second/travel display, when the MX279H is about at the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend.

Meh.

Maybe I should just forget the whole thing and see if something cool comes out of Computex in a few days. If I'm already on the fence, it's probably a bad idea to go around breaking my rule of never buying anything electronic right before a major trade show.

Eric5h5:

#72 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

I was busy with fam and outdoors all weekend. I did use it a bit during last week evenings playing Dead Island. The game itself runs kinda crap so its not a real good example to use to see just how well the high hz outshines the 60hz... but Dead Island does run 'better' forced up to 100hz than it does with 60hz while using mouse/keyboard (stupid buggy ass game).

Jury is still out on the dark levels. This monitor is hellish bright. Looks fine during the day, which means I can do more day-time gaming with games that have a lot of dark areas. My old monitor was a pain to use during the day as it was very dark (had awesome black levels though!), and almost impossible to see anything in dark areas in-game (like night time in various games became impossible to see).

View PostSneaky Snake, on 26 May 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm tempted to get one of those ultra-slim LED monitors ( the cheap ones that are like $150) for LANing. My VG236H (same size as VG248) is kinda large by LCD monitor standards, and is a pain to transport

Yeah, this new VG is a bit large for 'portability'. It has a overly robust stand that tilts, raise/lowers, swivels... so its massive. That prior VX I had, the stand was very sturdy, but also the whole unit + stand was extremely lightweight, one handed and very easy to move about.

-Fm [1oM7]

#73 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

Frost: If you are looking for just a cheap portable monitor, maybe you can overlook the uneasy things that would drive you nuts on a normal at-home monitor. Being overly bright helps for lan parties or whatnot, since you cannot really predict/control the room lighting, and most of those Ive been too the rooms are lit up bright.

Granted the viewing angle is effy if you tend to shift a lot in your seat, but honestly after a few minutes in a game I completely forget about the odd viewing angle slight color distortions. Depends on the monitor I guess. I know when I sat lower on one monitor, everything became richer/darker, but if i sat up everything was washed out. But if I just didn't move about, I didn't notice either while in-game.

Backlight bleed (around edges) IS a problem though for me. Having some halo of brightness around the edges is disgusting. I personally would rather have a halo of darkness (vignette), than brighter. And it is something I have noticed with IPS panels is they tend to have this brighter feel to the edges. However that might just be than I'm used to TN panels dulling out at sharper viewing angles (edges from center).... dunno. I do know the bigger the TN panel, the further you can sit back from it, which blends out the viewing angle mehness.

-Fm [1oM7]

#74 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

So far the monitor is working out decent. Its actually 'fixed' some crappy ported games from console, to run smoother. Dead Island, and Metro 2033.

Although metro is still horrible in spots, it was playable enough (using 100hz) to get through it to the end so I could delete it off my drive as 'done with that'.

Dead Island played at 120hz, reduced most of the stupid microstutter when using mouse+kb control mode (despite using all the other microstutter fixes). If I played at 60hz, it was unbearable on the stutter (but fluid with xbox controller). If I play on 120hz, its fluid on both control ways. Go figure.

I dont see the stuck pixel 99.9% of the time, as the distance I sit/angle, the pixel turns invisible. However I will spot it on occasion when the screen gos complete black and I was leaning forward or something at the time. I mean, I didn't see it once while playing metro, which is a game entirely in inky blackness =p

Nice monitor. Despite some of its oddities.

-Fm [1oM7]

#75 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

I decided to give the MX279H a go, and I'm not regretting it in the slightest.

ASUS' tracer free tech does a fabulous job attacking ghosting, although it overdoes it and has overshoot, but turning it down from the default of 60 to 20 as recommended online fixes it perfectly. Color and viewing angle are fantastic since it's AH-IPS, and I'm happy to report that the input lag is hardly even there. Fastest IPS I've ever used by a galactic margin; feels like a TN display.

Color depth, blacks, and motion smoothness still pale in comparison to my FW900, which is really driven home running them side-by-side. But the only thing that doesn't at this point is a $25,000 OLED monitor, so I wasn't expecting any different. Compared to other LCDs it's great. This'll do perfectly as a travel monitor, and a second screen at home.

My only gripe is it could do with being a bit higher res, but that would kill its usability with consoles in the travel/LAN party monitor capacity, so that was always out. That and colors suck under Windows compared to OSX... I need to find an ICC profile or something for it.

Eric5h5:

#76 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Are you running an nvidia card or amd? Cause if its nvidia... even if you DO setup a Color Profile in the system, or even the nvidia control panel itself... it won't honor ANY of the settings while in a game that takes fullscreen control. Stupid of nvidia, to do this. Its been that way like forever, despite repeated community outcry. Even trying to run 'hacks' and external 3rd party apps that try to force color profiles, simply does not do it. So all color control has to be done on the monitor itself.

AMD gpus on the other hand WILL honor the color profile settings you do. Just know that most (at least, last year when I last had an AMD gpu), driver updates reset those settings. They may have fixed that, or not, I don't know.

-Fm [1oM7]

#77 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:16 AM

Seriously? Damnit. Yeah, I've got nVidia hardware in all my machines except the Radeon 9000 in the PowerBook and the 3dfx Voodoo5 in the SuperMac (now there's a throwback).

Well, it's nowhere near as bothersome in games as on the desktop, so as long as I can get it looking as good in Windows as in OSX I'll be okay. My problem is the mega annoyance of moving a window from my CRT over to the right onto the LCD and the colors change to something incorrect and/or washed out. Which has to be software since that's only in Windows.

Eric5h5:

#78 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, I did fussing with the desktop since I work with my MBP side by side, and looking back and forth, if there is a great difference, it really causes my eyes to bug out. Just like trying to read an article on a damned black-background website, then flipping back to my code editor which is white-backgrounded... my vision turns to mush trying to read anything.

You can set color changes in one of two places (I dont suggest both). Using windows, you can go to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display. Then click in the sidebar "Calibrate Color". Run through those steps trying to adjust to how YOU want them, not by what its telling you to do ;)

If it comes out looking better, then just stick with that. Otherwise default it (not save) and then load up the nvidia control panel instead. In there you will find it under "Adjust Desktop Color Settings". And its a direct control of each color slider, and multiple bright/gamma/contrast settings. For every color channel, so you have serious control over what you are changing.

Nvidia also has a second color setting for video playback. Although I have never really seen that take effect in anything, so I'm not quite sure what it relates too, or when it kicks in. Because VLC doesn't seem to kick it in, or VLC is overriding it, I dunno. I never notice bad colors in videos anyhow to make me want to adjust stuff.

-Fm [1oM7]

#79 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

Finally got the MX279H set up in its permanent position. Rearranged my desktop I don't know how many times until I found a combination I liked... FW900 in the middle, MX279H on a short stand (just tall enough to slip two DualShock 4 controllers under it when not in use) off to the left with the subwoofer behind it, and computers and networking hardware to the right. Only looks like a tornado of wires if you lean over behind it. Excellent. :D

Also, now that I have it set up like this, I'm glad I went with 27" even if a bit pixelated in hindsight. I didn't realize 16:9 vs 16:10 was quite as pronounced, I guess because I've never had the different aspect ratios side by side like this. At 27" 16:9 the image is about exactly the same height as 24" 16:10. I'd rather have same height and wider than same width and shorter, personally.

Eric5h5: