#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

Anybody out there using a retina can confirm if the IMG site icon in your menubar looks better now?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

I was doing new retina icons and touch icons and droid icons and holycraptherestonsoficons for MacGameStore last night, and well, just got on a roll and decided to fix the one favicon for IMG.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

Had to delete the bookmark and recreate it for it to update the favicon. Looks good though.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, its a pain to clear a favicon once it gets snagged. Lots of hoops, depending on browser.

-Fm [1oM7]

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 May 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Yeah, its a pain to clear a favicon once it gets snagged. Lots of hoops, depending on browser.
For what reason ever, most browsers seem to be very conservative regarding favicons they cached. I'm not sure about Firefox or Chrome, but for Safari you need apps like Onyx to selectively clear the favicon cache.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:15 PM

Just switched my laptop back to a retina, and the favicon looks great. 90% of my favicons aren't retina, even from big companies (Facebook, Twitch, Youtube) so it's nice to see IMG ahead of the times
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

What is the visual difference of a favicon that isn't retina on a retina screen?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 December 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

What is the visual difference of a favicon that isn't retina on a retina screen?
The non-retina favicon is clearly pixelated. The screenshot below shows the IMG retina favicon in the tab title, and the non-retina version in the bookmarks bar.

Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

Most times a SD image on a retina monitor is 'upscaled' and blurry as popsnizzle (the default apple setting). But you can adjust it to upscale bicubic (no blurry popsnizzle), which makes it appear sharper, just not as super-defined as a real retina image.

The screenshot above, shows the old IMG graphic in non-blurry-popsnizzle mode, which when viewed normally, looks exactly like it would on any other non-retina monitor. But you can also see by the retina IMG logo, that it would look super clean on a retina monitor.... which is what is usually a good thing to do for web favicon.ico's.

I did this for all the MGS and WGS icons as well. Even the massive set of images for pods, pads, phones, blueblackgreenberries. There are tons of images!

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

I miss dot matrix printers, usenet, and GIF.  Back in those days a man knew all the rules and could type HTML with his fists.  You could buy a cup of coffee with pocket change and open a door for a girl.  Now look at the mire you wade through to put a splot by your URL.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hahaha no kidding. The introduction of HTML5 made things crazy, then all this 'new stuff' that webkit keeps introducing. I start to wonder if they are the bastard twin of microsoft!

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 December 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

I miss dot matrix printers, usenet, and GIF.  

Are we not supposed to be using them anymore? But the Ham guys don't take me cereal unless I print my QSL cards on Dot Matrix Ticker Tape.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:49 AM

Is this step 1 of the IMG rebirth?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 12 December 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Is this step 1 of the IMG rebirth?

LoL. Well, if you see the topic post date, this happened long before ;-) SOMEONE necro'd it...

-Fm [1oM7]

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 12 December 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

LoL. Well, if you see the topic post date, this happened long before ;-) SOMEONE necro'd it...

That was our resident Redshirt and lab rat, Sneaky Snake.  If you'd like I can send him on an away mission to do prostrate exams on a Klingon ship.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat