25 replies to this topic

#21 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

I've been playing arena a lot, as a couple weeks worth of regular play left me with a lot of gold from daily quests, as well as from some newbie achievements (you get 100 gold bonus for things like, unlocking all the basic cards, and some other start-you-off achievements of that sort).

As a new player, I really like how building a deck through a semi-randomized draft puts everyone in equal footing in terms of card availability, as well as providing more variety of play because of the fact that nobody can count on getting the cards for some of the nastier combos that are common on the ladder. You need to create a generally strong and flexible deck, rather than one with a specifically tailor-made win condition.

The randomization can also be a little frustrating, as is its nature, because it may be that you face somebody who got to stock up on copies of a powerful card, like the Mage I lost to who had three Flamestrikes. I don't think I quite agree with the change of rules when you go to arena, where there is no longer any limit on how many copies of a card you can have in your deck. That said it is kind of fun to play outside the regular rules, in the case where you get to be the one to run some bullpopsnizzle that you shouldn't be allowed to have, like the Druid draft where I had four Druids of the Claw. But in the vast majority of cases, you will neither have nor ever face that sort of thing.

I understand that very good players routinely hit 7 wins (out of a possible 12, which must be achieved before you hit 3 losses) or better in arena, and that says a lot about the value of skill that this game allows for. For me 7 is the absolute pinnacle of my accomplishment so far, and my average is probably something like 2.5 at best. I clearly still have a lot to learn.

Edit: at the risk of pushing this post way beyond tldr length, I want to add that I am at present withholding my judgment of what the pay2win level is in this game. I will eventually state a clearer opinion on that, but pending further experience. It's certainly plenty of fun to me as a new player who owns the basic cards plus maybe 10 at the most packs, all of which I've paid for with ingame gold, I will say that for now. I've played against and beaten decks on the ranked ladder who ran a bunch of legendaries. They are not auto win cards based on who has more of them, that is certain.

#22 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

I built a new, entirely different kind of deck. Shaman, this time, and an aggressive one.

The ideal goal with this one is to get ahead on the board early with cheaper minions and totems, and then deliver a massive blow with bloodlust on turn 5, if I have at least three minions on the board able to hit the enemy hero. Windfury allows for even harder hitting when I do get that board advantage I'm looking for; flametongue totems give another form of buffed attack power; lightning bolts, rockbiter weapons, and stormforged axes help control the board early or finish the enemy late. A single copy each of a hex and of a lightning storm give a potential out to a couple of kinds of losing situations, but I tried very hard not to let myself just try to fill the deck with answers for everything. Keep it lean and mean and focused on the kill.

It's won more than it has lost, so far. But beyond the results, I like the focus. If I lose, it's easier to shrug it off to the chance factor in playing cards. I built the deck to win a certain way, and if I don't draw what I need to set that up, so be it. I get less frustrated with that, than I did with my defensive Priest deck that I had tinkered with so much, substituting a card here or a card there to have an answer next time after losing to some particular kind of deck, that it got to the point where no matter what the situation I had the perfect card in my deck somewhere...but, probably not in my hand.

#23 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

http://www.pockettac...zard-hates-you/

Yesterday, Blizzard announced a new add-on for Hearthstone: new heroes! Before you get too excited though, realize that what they’re selling is a cosmetic-only reskin of the existing heroes. You’ll get a new animated portrait, new animations for the character power, and new dialog options, none of which alter gameplay in any way whatsoever.

I’m not going to lie, they do look pretty cool, and I’m guessing that the hardcore–and not so hardcore–will gobble these up. I haven’t mentioned the cost yet, however. Blizzard is expecting you to shill out $10. That’s not for all nine heroes, that’s per hero. So, if you’re a completist, it’s time to break into the kid’s college fund. Don’t feel bad, Timmy, daddy can now say “Good Game” with a different accent!

Blizzard really wants your $$$.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 07 June 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

http://www.pockettac...zard-hates-you/

Blizzard really wants your $$$.
Have you tried out Heroes of the Storm? If so, you know that this is the case…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

Indeed. I just played it for the first time today actually! Tried 4 rounds, and thought "Well, this might have been fun when I was 8", and then I deleted it. I'll stick to Heroes of Newerth, thank you very much.

But yeah, the prices are outrageous.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#26 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

I played a little of Hearthstone and enjoyed it but soon saw what a money sink it is setup to be and of course you had to know more would be coming. I bailed then. That game is fun but it is in no way worth more than any other game I might play.

Blizzard excels at being the dealer for addicts. They hook them then they milk them dry.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell