#1 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Didn't expect that, since it is quite simple. You should really try it out, since it is for free, and of usual Blizzard-level quality (Or, above DIII vanilla quality if you will..).

Currently I prefer the priest, with the sorcerer being second.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#2 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

Game is pretty darn good. I am playing the hell out of it right now.

I mostly like playing Priest, that's what I'm going with on the ranked ladder (Priests are quite uncommon on the ladder, I've found, but that only encourages me, I don't want to just copy a popular deck). I do have a few more decks with other classes that I've experimented with in casual play. And the arena is a good fun way to get variety as well, playing all the classes and getting access to cards that you don't actually own yet. Although I'm definitely not feeling very strong at building decks in the arena draft, I usually only win a couple games. Though, I did get a 7-win run, once!

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:14 AM

7-win is impressive! I seem to meet as many priests as everything else. I think Shaman is the one I less often meet.. :)

As far as I can see it, the only reason to spend gold is to go Arena. Even if you loose 3 times, you get as much value out of it, as if you had bought a pack for 100g.

But crafting cards I don't get.. The system is VERY confusing. And I am kind of stuck at the moment. My deck is not good enough to win enough, so I mostly loose to people with better cards. Quite annoying. And to get a better deck I have to win tons of matches, or spend $$$, which I am not going to do. So it is somewhat unbalanced in that aspect.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:11 AM

If anyone want to play few rounds.. here is my BattleNet ID :-) MichalMMac#2219

#5 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 28 April 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

7-win is impressive! I seem to meet as many priests as everything else. I think Shaman is the one I less often meet.. :)

As far as I can see it, the only reason to spend gold is to go Arena. Even if you loose 3 times, you get as much value out of it, as if you had bought a pack for 100g.

But crafting cards I don't get.. The system is VERY confusing. And I am kind of stuck at the moment. My deck is not good enough to win enough, so I mostly loose to people with better cards. Quite annoying. And to get a better deck I have to win tons of matches, or spend $$$, which I am not going to do. So it is somewhat unbalanced in that aspect.

Yeah at the moment, it's true that playing arena is easily the best use of gold (if you like playing arena). You basically buy a pack, plus ante up a small amount of gold, which you can potentially get back and more if you win a few games in your run. And I like arena in that it forces you to play around with different classes, lets you play with cards you don't necessarily own, and throws off the established meta of constructed decks.

Coming in the summer there will begin to be expansion content, which you'll be able to buy into with gold (though I don't think anyone knows how much), and which will entail a new single player mode:

http://us.battle.net...ramas-4-11-2014

Re crafting, it's pretty simple when you look at it as a way to use up cards that you end up with too many of. It's never useful to have more than 2 of any card in your collection, and in crafting mode there is a button that turns all extra copies that you have beyond 2 of anything into dust. That's the only way I've used it for so far, and then I've used the dust to buy a couple of Priest cards that looked like they'd go really well in my deck.

I think you can, if you want, individually choose to dust cards that you don't have extra copies of, but I haven't gotten into that.

On the ladder rogue and shaman are the two I see the least of. Hunters are a-swarming all over. I also saw a bazillion Mages when I first started playing, but lately I see more Warlocks. The common Hunter and Warlock decks are both very aggressive, and playing as a Priest and wanting to control the board and win later, I sometimes feel as though I didn't even get to play at all, when those decks just ruin me in a few turns. This game can be infuriatingly frustrating, and yet, I always want to play again.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

View Postbadger2d, on 28 April 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

Re crafting, it's pretty simple when you look at it as a way to use up cards that you end up with too many of. It's never useful to have more than 2 of any card in your collection, and in crafting mode there is a button that turns all extra copies that you have beyond 2 of anything into dust. That's the only way I've used it for so far, and then I've used the dust to buy a couple of Priest cards that looked like they'd go really well in my deck.

I think you can, if you want, individually choose to dust cards that you don't have extra copies of, but I haven't gotten into that.
Yeah, crafting really isn't that difficult. You turn surplus cards into dust and create new cards from that dust in crafting mode. Provided you have a sufficient amount of dust, you can get quite powerful cards this way without relying on chance. To turn individual cards into dust, you inspect them in your collection (right click) and then click on the button at the bottom of the screen.

On the ladder rogue and shaman are the two I see the least of. Hunters are a-swarming all over. I also saw a bazillion Mages when I first started playing, but lately I see more Warlocks. The common Hunter and Warlock decks are both very aggressive, and playing as a Priest and wanting to control the board and win later, I sometimes feel as though I didn't even get to play at all, when those decks just ruin me in a few turns. This game can be infuriatingly frustrating, and yet, I always want to play again.
I haven't seen that many Hunters yet, but I think Mages are so predominant because it's simply the first class that gets unlocked for every new player. I also played as Mage for quite a while before switching to Warlock. I agree that Hunter decks are usually quite aggressive, but I think that playing style is not necessarily limited to that class. I had a few matches against Priests, where the opponent gained control quite quickly by boosting some of his minions so far that they became virtually invincible.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

Am I correct in the interpretation that you can only gain some cards by crafting and not all? I've seen cards that I can't craft, and frankly, there are very few cards I want crafted based on how I play.

#8 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Funny, I do remember looking at crafting mode and not being able to find a particular card. Although when I looked right now, I couldn't think of anything I'd seen that wasn't showing up, and I haven't seen reference anywhere else to unavailable cards.

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 29 April 2014 - 02:37 AM, said:

Am I correct in the interpretation that you can only gain some cards by crafting and not all? I've seen cards that I can't craft, and frankly, there are very few cards I want crafted based on how I play.
That appears to be correct. You can only craft cards from the "expert" set, but none of the "basic" or "promotion" card sets. Rule of thumb: when you cannot disenchant a card (i.e. turn into dust), you cannot craft it.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Ah, that also explains why i cant disenchant some of them... I told you it was confusing! ;)

#11 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

So.. Hearthstone.

I really want to like this game. I get the appeal - it's quick, simple, and can be a lot of fun. But.. yeah. Pay-to-win rears its ugly head in a serious way which has pretty much ensured ill never play it seriously.

The game is supposedly supposed to match you up against opponents similar to you - except it very obviously doesn't take the cards you own into account at all - merely your level. Last night i went 0/11 against opponents that were supposedly equal to me - none of whom ever played a card less than "Rare" and frequently higher quality. So.. it's matching me against people of my level who have paid 50+ dollars to unlock craploads of cards that i cant possibly beat because theyre crushing me on the 3rd and 4th turns before i can even really play.

So.. yeah. I'd rather have paid 60 bucks for the game up front and had it be a fun way to waste some time... as it is... im not interested in being routinely destroyed by people who simply have more money to spend on a game than i do.

No thanks, Blizz. You've now moved down to near-EA levels of mistrust. The days of buying one of your games sight-unseen because it was bound to be awesome are over

#12 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 29 April 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

That appears to be correct. You can only craft cards from the "expert" set, but none of the "basic" or "promotion" card sets. Rule of thumb: when you cannot disenchant a card (i.e. turn into dust), you cannot craft it.

Oh okay. That also explains why today I could no longer find any missing cards that I couldn't craft, because I just finished unlocking all the basics yesterday.

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:14 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 29 April 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Pay-to-win rears its ugly head in a serious way which has pretty much ensured ill never play it seriously.

... none of whom ever played a card less than "Rare" and frequently higher quality. So.. it's matching me against people of my level who have paid 50+ dollars to unlock craploads of cards that i cant possibly beat because theyre crushing me on the 3rd and 4th turns before i can even really play.
A problem that each and every collectible card game including the venerable MtG has.

But don't underestimate Hearthstone's crafting. You can pretty quickly and easily get rather powerful cards that way without actually having to pay a cent.

#14 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:32 AM

But how do you get these powerful cards? I see a subset selection that I can craft?

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Janichsan, step away from those nerds, you haven't had your shots yet this year.  Oh dear, have you been petting them?  Get inside this instant and wash your hands!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 30 April 2014 - 03:32 AM, said:

But how do you get these powerful cards? I see a subset selection that I can craft?

Every class has ten kinds of basic cards that you only get by playing games with that class. Play a class up to level 10 and you unlock all of them, it takes a couple hours at most.

Basic doesn't mean weak, either. Every deck needs to run a substantial number of basics, they are building block cards that define what a class is about.

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 30 April 2014 - 03:32 AM, said:

The craftable expert set cards are actually the majority and contain the most powerful cards. All cards above common rarity are all part of the expert set (or promo cards).

As badger2d said, you can unlock all "basic set" cards simply by playing and leveling a class. You can even do this by playing against the AI (although a bit slower, as far as I remember).

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 April 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Janichsan, step away from those nerds, you haven't had your shots yet this year.  Oh dear, have you been petting them?  Get inside this instant and wash your hands!
*pouts* Okay, mom… *slowly walks back to the house with hanging head*

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

::Sigh::  If your father were alive to see this...  

AND YOU NERDS, does your mother know where you are?  Badger2d I know you, you live down the street.  I know your mother, we buy groceries on the same night.  YEAH I THOUGHT YOU'D RUN AWAY!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 April 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

A problem that each and every collectible card game including the venerable MtG has.

That could have been avoided entirely by simply not having it be a Collectible Card Game and merely having it be a card game.  I'd have paid 40-60$ up front to just have all the cards so everyone is on an even playing field and skill at playing and deck construction are what mattered - not who has more time to grind losses to craft a new card or who has the deeper wallet.  Just because all previous card games had this flaw doesn't mean Blizzard had to incorporate it.  

But don't underestimate Hearthstone's crafting. You can pretty quickly and easily get rather powerful cards that way without actually having to pay a cent.

Given that you have to grind games (and grinding out a dozen or so losses a day to maybe craft a card is about as fun as slitting my wrists) to use the crafting system... im not underestimating it.

#20 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 April 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

::Sigh::  If your father were alive to see this...  

AND YOU NERDS, does your mother know where you are?  Badger2d I know you, you live down the street.  I know your mother, we buy groceries on the same night.  YEAH I THOUGHT YOU'D RUN AWAY!!

Who's running? Give me a sec, I'm just fetching a catnip sock and a laser pointer.