Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

There'll be mods for that soon enough. That is if you don't mind mods of course. But Flavours 2 is going to support it and probably so will manual (editing sartfiles and extras.rsrc manually on the hard drive) theming once the GUI hackers have their way with it.

Personally, I'm going to go with Flavours 2 because it's going to have a number of advantages over manual theming such as specific app theming support, status bar theming, text color changing, etc. Using it you'd be able to roll back the GUI changes to Mavericks (or earlier.. I've made themes based on Mac OS versions going all the way back to pre-OS X days)..

Actually I want Flavours 2 BEFORE I consider upgrading to Yosemite here.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#22 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Aspyr has posted a "Dev Update" about the work on the Mac and Linux ports, giving some insight in the porting process (and some detail about the Yosemite requirement in the discussion below).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

Second Dev Update from Aspyr, including the news that CivBE for Mac will support mods.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostCougar, on 21 October 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Guess that makes sense. Still slightly disappointing that it won't run on my 2010 MBP given the lackluster screenshots, Civ was fun to play on the go. Although TBF Civ V was barely playable on it in the later stages of the game anyway. And hopefully after some expansions have come out I will have upgraded, if intel gets their act together...
Plays just fine on my 2010 MBP under bootcamp with default settings. I haven't tried tweaking it much yet. The game is pretty much just a reskinned version of Civ V. Weird things about the game: You flew across the galaxy, but you have to study techs to a) create new settlers b) move across water. I'm still in the experimental stage where I try out different affinities, sponsors, etc., trying to figure out the best setup for my play style, so I've never played more than 100 turns or so.

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on 11 November 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Weird things about the game: You flew across the galaxy, but you have to study techs to a) create new settlers b) move across water.
Have you seen Wall-E? Then you know what can happen to human intelligence during prolonged space flight.

#26 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

Weird things about the game: You flew across the galaxy, but you have to study techs to a) create new settlers b) move across water. I'm still in the experimental stage where I try out different affinities, sponsors, etc., trying to figure out the best setup for my play style, so I've never played more than 100 turns or so.

What 2010? As for the techs, think of it less as making brand-new discoveries and more re-learning/getting the resources necessary for creating whatever. I don't know if there's a backstory in BE, but in Alpha Centauri you crash-land on the planet after factions fight on the colony ship, so in that respect researching the techs made sense.

#27 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 24 October 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

There'll be mods for that soon enough. That is if you don't mind mods of course. But Flavours 2 is going to support it and probably so will manual (editing sartfiles and extras.rsrc manually on the hard drive) theming once the GUI hackers have their way with it.

Personally, I'm going to go with Flavours 2 because it's going to have a number of advantages over manual theming such as specific app theming support, status bar theming, text color changing, etc. Using it you'd be able to roll back the GUI changes to Mavericks (or earlier.. I've made themes based on Mac OS versions going all the way back to pre-OS X days)..

Actually I want Flavours 2 BEFORE I consider upgrading to Yosemite here.
You make Yosemite look like Mavericks and give me a quick runthrough of how to set it up and you'll be my new best friend for the month. (and probably everybody else who loves the new functionality but detests the new look)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostFrost, on 11 November 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

you'll be my new best friend for the month.

You might want to consider the source Smoke, if you like someone to let themselves in to watch your TV, rummage through your underwear drawer, and check out your refrigerator then please disregard this warning.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#29 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostCougar, on 11 November 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

What 2010?

17" MacBook Pro, 2.2GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6750M w/1 GB RAM.

As for the techs, think of it less as making brand-new discoveries and more re-learning/getting the resources necessary for creating whatever. I don't know if there's a backstory in BE, but in Alpha Centauri you crash-land on the planet after factions fight on the colony ship, so in that respect researching the techs made sense.

I don't have any problems with techs in general, just those two in particular struck me. I can definitely see things like alien biology & botany being necessary, but it just seems like if you can found an initial colony, you could create additional ones without research. :glare:

#30 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

Plays just fine on my 2010 MBP under bootcamp with default settings. I haven't tried tweaking it much yet. The game is pretty much just a reskinned version of Civ V. Weird things about the game: You flew across the galaxy, but you have to study techs to a) create new settlers b) move across water. I'm still in the experimental stage where I try out different affinities, sponsors, etc., trying to figure out the best setup for my play style, so I've never played more than 100 turns or so.

My interest in this waned as more info coming out after the initial announcement made it sound like pretty much a reskinned Civ V, and for my part at least, V did not hold my attention for long.

'Tis too bad. So much more could've been done with this concept. :/

#31 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:05 AM

Yeah, people hoped for SMAC'14, not Civ 5 in SPACE... So sad... But I guess the easy way to make money is just to reskin an excisting game, and then pump out DLC.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#32 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:05 AM

Dev Updates 3 and 4 – apparently, the Mac version is very close to release.

#33 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Just received email from GameAgent informing me my Civ:BE preorder has changed.

"Thank you for ordering on GameAgent™. The release date for the preorder product has changed. The product listed below will now be available on November 26, 2014."

Tomorrow!  :w00t:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#34 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

Anyone know what purchasing options we will have besides Steam?
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#35 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

View Postclocknova, on 25 November 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Anyone know what purchasing options we will have besides Steam?
You can probably buy it from every known Mac games dealer, but you'll usually only get Steam keys, just like for Civ V. There will also be a MAS version.

#36 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

Metacritic reviews from users is really low. Simplified version of Civ5 with a scifi theme on top apparently. That does not sound good!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#37 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

FYI it's free to play now through Sunday through Steam. Going to give it a shot, though I'm not expecting much. Although, boo on Valve for not thinking of my epic all-day game of Twilight Imperium this weekend when scheduling this. ;)

#38 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

Either I'm crazy or there's no edit button for my above post...

OK, so I managed to finish a game tonight. I'd rate it a solid B if Brave New World did not exist. But it does, so it gets a C-.

It suffers from not having enough stuff to all the factions feeling samey and boring. The atmosphere is extremely generic, like the authors just read a dozen Nebula winners and took something from each. This is especially problematic given that Alpha Centauri had one of the best atmospheres of any game, ever.

The tech web is kind of neat and I like the idea of the affinities--it's very satisfying unlocking them, and I could see how going for a different path would yield a different-feeling game. But it still feels very limited compared to Civ V, and gameplay-wise, it's almost identical.

I had fun, but I have zero interest playing it again given that I have BNW. Give it a few expansions, I guess. It is better than Civ V was at its release.