dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

Great news! Release sometime in Fall 2014. Let's go Aspyr!!!

http://www.ign.com/a...on-beyond-earth

http://arstechnica.c...h-announcement/
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

The narrative behind Beyond Earth was left intentionally vague, in a way. The panelists made reference to "The Great Mistake" that happens about 25 years in the future and causes a Dark Age of humanitarian crisis for 200 or so years. The game won't really go into detail about what the civilization-destroying mistake was, though, because the game isn't really about where we came from, but about where we're going when we leave the planet to start anew, the panelists said.

If it's a canonical Civ successor, then the most likely scenario is Gandhi started World War III.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

Even more likely is that the reason we need to leave Earth is because Gandhi has nuked the popsnizzle out of everything with his thermonuclear lust.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

I am mildly interested. If they do a Alpha Centauri 2, then I'm all in. Anything that just smells of Civ 5, except for the hexameres, then I am out.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostFrost, on 12 April 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

The panelists made reference to "The Great Mistake" that happens about 25 years in the future and causes a Dark Age of humanitarian crisis for 200 or so years.
Or someone left his stove on.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

Lets just hope they don't spend the next several years nickel and diming us with DLC that should have been in the game from the beginning. If they do, I'm going to have to wait at least five years, when the complete package goes on sale for $30, before I can play this. I'm only just now getting into Civ V.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

mMMm... Copy pasta...

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

I said it best the first time.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#9 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

But seriously, this seems like an attempt to make a "spiritual sequel" to Alpha Centauri, since not owning the right makes it impossible to do it officially.  Let's hope this turns out like Fallout, the spiritual sequel to Wasteland for the same reason.  And, as I said above (and at MacRumors) I really, really hope they don't do what they did with Civ V, which was to release the game, then start charging $5 or so a pop for little expansions over and over for years.  I, for one, am not paying over $100 for a complete game.  I'll be happy to play Civ V Complete (which I just bought) for the next five years or so until Beyond Earth is bundled with all of its expansions and DLC at a reasonable price.

But that's just how I feel.  I completely understand those who cannot wait.  I've been longing for another Alpha Centauri for a very, very long time, and this news has me very excited.  And, for the record, I really like Civ V.  Of course, I never played it without the expansions.  I understand it wasn't so great when it was released.  I expect much of the same for Beyond Earth, although the developing pattern of releasing "unfinished" games, then finishing them with paid DLCs and expansions is something I find troubling.  All the more reason, in my opinion, to wait for the final packaged release.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#10 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:36 AM

Oh, dear.

I only just started playing Civ V!

#11 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm surprised this didn't make the front page this morning.  It made practically every other gaming news site.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Mac (and Linux) version now totally official.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

They've been official for a while now...the real news is "soon" has been clarified to Holiday 2014. And there are system requirements, which are...oddly high compared to Civ V. Guess there are engine improvements.

I'm going to hold off till there are expansions, though.

#14 Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostCougar, on 21 October 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

They've been official for a while now...the real news is "soon" has been clarified to Holiday 2014. And there are system requirements, which are...oddly high compared to Civ V. Guess there are engine improvements.

I'm going to hold off till there are expansions, though.

DX11 vs DX9...so yeah, its going to be more taxing.  We might be able to get them down a bit, but wanted to be conservative for the announcement just in case we couldnt (we are optimizing now).

#15 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostAspyr-Blair, on 21 October 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

DX11 vs DX9...so yeah, its going to be more taxing.  We might be able to get them down a bit, but wanted to be conservative for the announcement just in case we couldnt (we are optimizing now).

Guess that makes sense. Still slightly disappointing that it won't run on my 2010 MBP given the lackluster screenshots, Civ was fun to play on the go. Although TBF Civ V was barely playable on it in the later stages of the game anyway. And hopefully after some expansions have come out I will have upgraded, if intel gets their act together...

#16 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

Torn.  My 13" rMBP meets minimum specs (and Civ V is nice and playable) but the preorder Exoplanets content looks only to apply to Steam preorders.  I avoid Steam.
May wait to see how the DLC shakes out before I bite.  Just started playing Civ V this year so it still has some legs to it.

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostRev-O, on 22 October 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Torn.  My 13" rMBP meets minimum specs (and Civ V is nice and playable) but the preorder Exoplanets content looks only to apply to Steam preorders.  I avoid Steam.
May wait to see how the DLC shakes out before I bite.  Just started playing Civ V this year so it still has some legs to it.

Dude.  Like how can you even post here after you've been banned??  Unless... OMG!!11  BAN ZOMBIES!!  IT'S THE BAN ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

I guess it says something about the skills of the admins on this site.. *Ahrem*

And on topic: After watching the 10 minutes trailer on Civ: BtE, I must say that this game seems way more interesting that the pile of horse scrapings (From a horse with a rash, no less), that was Civ V.

#19 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

Anyone notice the MacOS X 10.10/Yosemite minimum requirement? I'm not complaining, you should all update because Yosemite's solid... just sayin' Oh, free too.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#20 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

Yosemite is solid and free, but it's not pretty...