Strange issue in the MacApp Store

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 latas

latas

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

Hi everyone. Hi frieds. Please do not consider this mail as SPAM, and please read the core of it. We're a small indie developer team, and we just released our new game. The name is Furious Driving and it was approved two days ago in the MacApp store.

Our issue is really strange, and we'd like to know if anyone has faced the same.
Sorry to put here the link but to test it is mandatory that I put it here.
https://itunes.apple...0876?ls=1&mt=12

If you take a look to the link, you can download the game, and just after download the game, the download button, that previously shown Install, now shows Update.

But there is no update available. And if the user updates then it looks the Button shows Installed. But the current release, is the first release approved. So there is no new updates. So the problem is the user thinks it has to update, but he's downloading again the same file!!! as an update.

It is our first Unity 3D Game released in the AppStore, and we don't know if this strange behaviour has anything related to be a game developed with Unity instead using Xcode. We're really lost about what is the origin of this?

Any idea?
Thanks and please don't consider this as spam, we're really worried. We've contacted Apple but still we don't have any answer. Anyone faced this?

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:37 AM

View Postlatas, on 07 March 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Your link is unfortunately broken. Make sure to paste the full link and not a shortened version like this.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 latas

latas

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 07 March 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

Your link is unfortunately broken. Make sure to paste the full link and not a shortened version like this.

Thank you very much for the comment. I've modified the post.
Here is again: https://itunes.apple...0876?ls=1&mt=12

Best Regards.

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'll download your game myself and see if I get the same behavior.

You might have better luck asking this in the Unity forums, or on Unity Answers. (Though I'm guessing you might have already.)

Do have any developer incidents left you can open with Apple? If nothing else they should be able to tell you just how in heck your game is confusing their system so. It might even be a problem with their packaging of your game.

Also, this might not be your problem. Apparently users can see strange behavior like this if they have more than one copy of the application: http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1365065
Since this is a new game it seems unlikely, but as one person in that thread mentions, perhaps there's something about the receipt that doesn't match the game.
Or, apparently Spotlight will interpret a backup as needing to be updated: http://hints.macworl...120727110524438
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

I just downloaded the game and it in fact shows "Update" on the corresponding store page after the download is complete. The MAS doesn't show any related updates on the aptly named "Updates" page, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Yes, me too.

I do have a local backup mounted, but I haven't had this problem with other MAS downloads, and I believe its properly excluded from Spotlight searches, so I lean towards discounting that explanation.

I made a duplicate of Furious Driving before I did the update. Unfortunately I haven't found a tool that will diff the two packages. (Maybe FileMerge will do it if you have XCode installed?) The MAS receipt file of the two packages are binary so I can't be sure, but in a text editor they do appear to be slightly different.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#7 latas

latas

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

Thanks everyone to take this in care, because as a developer I know is easy to say this kind of things are spam. So to give me the oportunity to explain this issue, thank you very much. This is the answer we got from Apple some hours ago:
Hello Javier,

Thank you for contacting App Store Developer Support.

I understand customers are experiencing an issue when installing your app Furious Driving, Apple ID 804230876, where instead of Install, they are seeing Update on the Mac App Store. In reviewing your inquiry, I was unable to recreate this issue and I see Install as expected, see my attached screenshot from the US store.

So we can review the issue you are reporting, please reply with the following information in detail:

Store country or region
Steps to reproduce the issue
Screenshots illustrating the issue
Affected devices including the model, generation, and OS version

After we receive the requested information, we will investigate further and let you know when we have an update. Thank you for your assistance.

Please direct any customers who report this issue to you to the iTunes Store Support team, so that team can investigate from their end:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

#8 latas

latas

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

We just explained to Apple, during review process our game was rejected because we forgot to submit the in app purchases. In that moment the binary package corresponds to 1.0 release version. Because the review process rejected the binary , we upload a new one. But this time, we modified the information in the application properties of itunesconnect and change the release to 1.0.1. So maybe, the rejection hopes you don't change anything concerns to that, but when a binary is rejected you can then modify a lot of things that you can not do when the binary has completely uploaded and it should be managed. We've sent the screenshots as required in the email and we're waiting for a new answer. Thanks for your support.