182 replies to this topic

#41 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Agreed about the auto-pickup, it could be better. Why NOT auto-pick up Eridium from the ground?

Not sure how I'd handle the shield boosters though. On the one hand, when I'm about to die I do not want to have to stop running at just the right spot to grab a shield booster from the ground. On the other hand, I suppose there's some advantage to picking and choosing when to pick it up. I suppose it doesn't auto-pickup because you'd pick them up just as soon as you dropped them, making them kind of a stupid feature.

I do not believe that you have to give it to her all at once.

That's what she said! [sound of crickets]

I got the achievement for tipping her so I must have gotten the shotgun, way back when... I have the feeling I undervalued some powerful weapons and got rid of them. I might even have recently sold one of those longbow-corrosive-bullet-spewing grenades. I just couldn't tell what it was doing, way off in the distance. If its not still in my inventory I'll see if I can buy it back.

Speaking of seeing things in the distance, is the resolution capped by the game, or by my video card, or what? It stops at 1920, won't let me go all the way up to my screen's native resolution.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#42 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

Updated the post with a google search link since the link directly to the wiki page just wont function despite being a direct cut and paste from the page...

One of my issues with the game is that you need really freaking awesome items to get through UVHM - but you have to be able to complete UVHM and do the "Raid bosses" to get those items.  

Serious catch 22.

I just started UVHM, and even with a +23k Bee shield, it takes 3-4 clips to kill most enemies.  Without it, i could empty an entire weapons ammo type into a single guy and maybe kill them.  Something seems off.

#43 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

UVHM is super tough.  It appears that enemies are all at LEAST your level with others being one or two higher.  When you level up, they do too.  This makes it exceedingly difficult.  I can fight my way up to Captain Flynt but I can't damage him.  I'm hoping my Mechromancer is powerful enough that I can keep chipping away at him with anarchy and Deathtrap.  My Commando got splattered like a squirrel in a busy road.  My turrets and I looked like we had been in a teleporter accident together.

I have a way to use golden keys without losing them.  I'm willing to share this info.  I figure I just might find a good enough weapon or two to tip the tide of battle with Flynt.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#44 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

I noticed there was a bit of a ... goof ... with the feature to ____ __ ____ to the ______ _________ ____ and then uh, using a _____ ____ ______ *cough* :whistling:

:secret:

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#45 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

I was about to ask about the keys, but I think I'll pass. I have no intention of trying UVHM. And if I start over with a Mecromancer I'd use the keys to cut down on the time spent in the early game... But you can't use keys before you reach Sanctuary the first time... Somehow I'll make do with the 50+ keys I already have.

Speaking of which, tBC, didn't the map reset? So how can you use keys to improve your odds against Flynt? Hopefully there's a loophole (possibly via multiplayer).

View PostFrigidman™, on 12 March 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

I noticed there was a bit of a ... goof ... with the feature to ____ __ ____ to the ______ _________ ____ and then uh, using a _____ ____ ______ *cough* :whistling:

What the ____ are you talking about??

:)

#46 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

You have 50+ keys ?!?! I only have 1. :(

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#47 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 March 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

UVHM is super tough.  It appears that enemies are all at LEAST your level with others being one or two higher.  When you level up, they do too.  This makes it exceedingly difficult.  I can fight my way up to Captain Flynt but I can't damage him.  I'm hoping my Mechromancer is powerful enough that I can keep chipping away at him with anarchy and Deathtrap.  My Commando got splattered like a squirrel in a busy road.  My turrets and I looked like we had been in a teleporter accident together.

I have a way to use golden keys without losing them.  I'm willing to share this info.  I figure I just might find a good enough weapon or two to tip the tide of battle with Flynt.

I got Flynt only because of The Bee.  I could auto-slag him with my Longbow Slag Bouncing Betty and then empty 200+ rounds of Accurate +22k damage SMG fire into him.  I died a few times though.  

Golden Keys are easy to exploit.  It's just a variable in a settings file - you can give yourself 1000 keys if you want with about ten seconds and Wordpad.  Ive never been tempted (and i have about 100 keys anyway - i used to religiously follow the SHiFT codes they posted online) - ive never bothered to use them because the chest doesn't have a good chance to drop Legendaries.

It seems, from reading the BL2 forums, that UVHM was built with the assumption that anyone who was attempting it had already completely TVHM + All four DLCs + was farming Seraphs, and, therefore, had/has an entire kit of Pearlescent and Seraph Gear.  So, the game assumes you have mega-awesome-raidboss-gear to START UVHM... and if you dont, it's brutally unfair.  

I never completed all of the DLCs before UVHM launched, and ive never been interested in the "Raid Boss" encounters.  Just have to plod on, i guess.  Im going back and doing the DLCs on TVHM to gain a few levels before jumping back into UVHM.

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 March 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

Speaking of which, tBC, didn't the map reset? So how can you use keys to improve your odds against Flynt? Hopefully there's a loophole (possibly via multiplayer).

The map resets and you lose all your main campaign fast travel destinations.  BUT, if you go back to first play mode if now on TVHM or to TVHM from UVHM then you have all your waypoints back on the fast travel map.  Do your business and then switch back to the mode you were playing, you don't lose any gear.  You always keep the gear you have when you switch modes, even if you are starting the campaign afresh.

View PostTetsuya, on 12 March 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Golden Keys are easy to exploit.  It's just a variable in a settings file - you can give yourself 1000 keys if you want with about ten seconds and Wordpad.  Ive never been tempted (and i have about 100 keys anyway - i used to religiously follow the SHiFT codes they posted online) - ive never bothered to use them because the chest doesn't have a good chance to drop Legendaries.

I'm using a different technique.  I have about 20 keys and quit gathering them after I learned the exploit.  I don't use it very often, last time I used a golden key was when I started my ill fated Commando on UVHM.

It seems, from reading the BL2 forums, that UVHM was built with the assumption that anyone who was attempting it had already completely TVHM + All four DLCs + was farming Seraphs, and, therefore, had/has an entire kit of Pearlescent and Seraph Gear.  So, the game assumes you have mega-awesome-raidboss-gear to START UVHM... and if you dont, it's brutally unfair.  

I never completed all of the DLCs before UVHM launched, and ive never been interested in the "Raid Boss" encounters.  Just have to plod on, i guess.  Im going back and doing the DLCs on TVHM to gain a few levels before jumping back into UVHM.

Hmmm, this sort of sucks.  Although I've played all the DLCs, I've never farmed Seraphs or raid bosses, that takes team play and I've never bothered.  Maybe I'll have to get more involved.  King Mong dropped two legendaries last time I fought him, think I'll go back and pay him a friendly little visit.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 12 March 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Golden Keys are easy to exploit.  It's just a variable in a settings file - you can give yourself 1000 keys if you want with about ten seconds and Wordpad.
:huh: I thought they have disabled that exploit a while ago. I haven't tried it personally, so I can't say for sure.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#50 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

The files are encrypted now, harder to just 'edit easily' without some extra hackish 3rd party tools, which I don't like ever using.

You can always play the full-game-reload-gamble. But its time consuming (not as easy as the quest turn-in reload trick), and if you DO get a nice weapon, you will lose it if you gamble on another reload to try again.

-Fm [1oM7]

#51 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

My technique does not require editing a file, rather editing it's read/write properties.  Look under Working Cheats.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#52 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Oh, well, i haven't ever actually used said exploit.  Like i said, i never bothered with the keys because the chest doesn't have a great chance to drop legendaries.  

I've always just used the Willowtree editor if i needed to edit something (i will admit to editing three of my weapons - Miss Moxxi's Heartbreaker, the Tresspasser, and the Scopeless Buffalo gun - because it cheesed me off that (prior to UVHM/quest resets) you couldn't get level 50 versions of those items, so i raised them to level 50) and you can edit the number of keys you have in Willowtree as well with about two clicks.  

Now that you can reset the quests to get max-level versions of the quest-reward uniques, ill probably never use the editor again.

#53 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

cheathaxors?? My my, what has IMG come to...
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#54 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

Ha. I rarely ever cheat. I'm that good I don't need too.

Although I was testing out the saved game restore cheat when turning in one quest for a talking shield. Did it a few times cause the stats kept coming out super crap. Then I just gave up cause it seemed like it would never pop better than what I already had. It was a fairly unique item (who wouldn't want a talking shield generator?) so I wanted to make sure it was decent. The talking shotgun was a total waste, so restored save and reloaded.

I never put stock into the golden keys. With how random the game is in loot, I never wanted to use the 1 key I had and get ... a shotgun. The least used weapon class in my entire life. Really, I HATE shotguns. In every single game that has them, I always usually toss them away, or ignore them (if they are perma to my inventory). Hate shotguns. So if I used my key, and got ... a shotgun... I would be like wtf that was a total waste.

-Fm [1oM7]

#55 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 13 March 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Ha. I rarely ever cheat. I'm that good I don't need too.
Suhuuure....

Although I was testing out the saved game restore cheat when turning in one quest for a talking shield. Did it a few times cause the stats kept coming out super crap. Then I just gave up cause it seemed like it would never pop better than what I already had. It was a fairly unique item (who wouldn't want a talking shield generator?) so I wanted to make sure it was decent. The talking shotgun was a total waste, so restored save and reloaded.
Heh, I would never waste time with that. There's always a better weapon a few hours of gaming away, so I feel it is a waste of time doing things like that.

In every single game that has them, I always usually toss them away, or ignore them (if they are perma to my inventory). Hate shotguns. So if I used my key, and got ... a shotgun... I would be like wtf that was a total waste.
But but...
Posted Image

Anyway. I like them in BL2 when you are playing the Siren. Especially for really tough bad guys: Throw your vortex, go really close and pop that shotgun. Immense damage. Your vortex does slag damage? Even more shotgun damage! But yeah, other than that special case, I rarely use them. But they are definitely not THAT bad!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#56 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

You have 50+ keys ?!?! I only have 1. :(

I'd be in the same boat, except there are wiki pages that collect shift codes. Recent keys have had expiration dates on them but most of the old ones still work.

http://orcz.com/Bord...est_SHiFT_Codes

It was tedious but I went through the list a couple months ago and entered all the non-expired shift codes, except for class-specific ones that didn't apply to Zer0. Some codes give you more than 1 key. So I ended up with 70+ keys and some custom skins. I've been using the keys sparingly ever since.

You don't have to go to that extreme; with a couple minutes' work you could have 10-20 keys, and used sparingly those could last you until you get sick of the game.

#57 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 March 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

cheathaxors?? My my, what has IMG come to...

To be fair, it was a problem that was legitimate enough that Gearbox patched it so you could get the items without having to resort to the editor.

And in Borderlands --- it realy depends on the shotgun. If you can get a good high-magazine count, high-accuracy shotgun (about ~ 60 accuracy) you can put the entire spread into a guys head, particularly if it is scoped.  I have an explosive shotgun right now that hits for about 300k if i can get them all on target.

#58 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 13 March 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

.......... until you get sick of the game.

?!??!?!?!??!?!

Neveh!

I will have to mess with whatever that SHiFT stuff is. I never signed up for it, or bothered, or have an in-game account or whatever. It never bothered me for one (not like how those rockstar or gfwl do). I'll check it out. I'm always interested in collecting skins and heads (even if I don't use what I pick up, I still like to have the option for if I want too).

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 March 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Heh, I would never waste time with that. There's always a better weapon a few hours of gaming away, so I feel it is a waste of time doing things like that.

Exactly the conclusion I came too and stopped bothering. Its more fun to randomly discover something cool as a replacement, than to re-roll for something. Its about like playing those slot machines for weapons. Kind of pointless. However I do have good luck with Eridium from the slots, and honestly its where I get the most from! Think I've won about 100 Eridium from the slots already as I bought a bunch of backpack and bank expansions purely from the slot winnins hahaha.

-Fm [1oM7]

#59 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Shift Codes: that's true, I forgot that you have to register an account. I signed up with my "spam collector" email account; they haven't emailed me at all to my knowledge. Did they sell the info to anyone? Who knows.

Interesting point about Eridium and the slots. I tend to get a bunch of money, don't find a use for it, then lose most of it in a boss fight. Repeat. Seems like spending it beforehand on the slots would be preferable. I can always use more Eridium.

I got Moxxi's SMG for tipping her last night. Unfortunately I goofed-- I've spent so much time leveling up in the DLC's that the story mission's level is far lower than my level. I think that's why the SMG's level was well below my current level. Lesson learned. Even so, it's pretty good and I might still be able to use it for a while.

#60 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

Moxxi has two SMG's (well, three - theres one in Tiny Tina's as well) - the 'Bad Touch' ("when im good, i'm very good") which is corrosive, and you can only get once per playthrough.  You get that one first.  It is set to a certain level for each Playthrough.  On UVHM it is set to your level.  

The second - the 'Good Touch' ("... But when in bad, i'm better") is fire, and can be acquired as many times as you want to pay for it.  It is set to your level when you get it.  

Both heal you for a % of damage inflicted.  

"Miss Moxxi's Crit" ("Slippery When Wet")  is a quest reward in Tiny Tinas and is electrical.