12 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8571 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

Cyan has released realMyst: Masterpiece Edition to celebrate the 20th anniversary of its classic point-and-click puzzler. The Masterpiece Edition is an updated version of realMyst, which was itself a 3D real-time remake of the original Myst. This latest version features reconstructed models and textures; enhanced environments with dynamic water, weather, lighting, and foliage; as well as a redesigned interface.

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is a beautifully updated version of realMYST for today’s Mac and Windows computers - celebrating the 20th anniversary of Myst! The models and textures have been reconstructed to provide an amazing graphical experience. The environments have been enhanced to provide dynamic water, weather, lighting, foliage, focus, and more. The interface has been redesigned to provide an enjoyable way to explore for both novices and gamers.

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition - this is not your father's Myst! It’s been 20 years since Myst became your world, and there's never been a better time to revisit the Ages. This newly refreshed and rebuilt version of realMyst is all-things Myst, but amazingly more real. You can explore anywhere, unfettered, and in realtime! Pick your own path through the forest on Myst Island. Listen to the crickets as the sun sets in the Channelwood Age. Relax in the falling leaves in the Selenitic Age. Spin around for a full panoramic tour of Sirrus’ throne room. Seek shelter from the thunderstorm in Stoneship Age.

And If you’ve ever been overwhelmed by realtime 3D - too many controls or too much motion - realMyst has something for you! You have the option to play the game just like the original Myst - with a simple point and click! Point where you want to go - click the mouse and you move through the world seamlessly to the new location. As a tribute to Myst’s 20th anniversary we’ve also added the original Myst images when you play in this Classic mode. Hold down the shift key and the original Myst image pops up, so you can see the difference and fondly remember that early Myst experience.

We’ve added plenty of new features to enhance and assist you on your journey. So whether you’re visiting Myst for the first time or you want to remember the first time - there’s never been a better reason to lose yourself and let the surrealistic Ages of realMyst become your world.

Features:
  • All the original Myst Ages plus bonus Rime Age
  • Full Myst gameplay and interaction
  • Dynamic environments - rippling water, falling rain, waving trees & grass
  • Advanced graphic effects like bloom, blur, depth of field, etc.
  • Day and night - watch sunsets and sunrises, or explore at night
  • Flashlight - for exploring dark nights or dark corners
  • Haunting Myst music score and dynamic 3D sounds
  • Classic Point & Click navigation option - just like original Myst
  • Free roam interface option - standard navigation controls
  • Zip Mode in Classic navigation - hold down to keep walking
  • Auto quality option - checks your frame rate and auto-adjust your quality
  • Interactive Guides - illustrates how to interact with objects
  • Bring up original Myst images to compare and reminisce
  • Bookmark feature to save & restore progress
  • Auto-save to insure you pick up where you left off
  • realMyst Hint Guide - get past that one puzzle that's got you stumped
Mac System Requirements:
  • Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.44 GHz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 512 MB SM 3.0 compliant video card
    • Hard Drive: 3 GB available space
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7, 2.66 GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 1 GB SM 4.0 compliant video card
    • Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is available now for $17.99 (USD).
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5239 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

I got an e-mail from Cyan about this. DO WANT!
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 1TB Crucial M550 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

The official screenshots (don't look particularly modern/improved; texture seams etc.) don't grab me; nor does this review:
http://steamcommunit...mmended/244430/

However, bits of Oculus Rift code have been found. If that starts to work, count me in!

Here's a side-by-side with the older RealMyst (which I played on Mac ages ago). Some parts look better to me, some not (and I hear people aren't happy with the control changes--no way anymore to freelook without keeping the right mouse button held down? not trackpad-friendly if true):

I see the game is available on both Steam and the App Store.

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3017 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Shame MGS won't ever carry Cyan games. Oh well.

I do want this, because I'm a huge myst fan, and just gotta have it just because. Its still leaps beyond what the original myst looked like in the day ;) Shame they couldn't just redo the entire set of games in a new engine hahahaha lots of work.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

They're brining rift support to Obduction, so yes, I expect RealMyst will get it too.

I've replayed Myst too many times to really be interested in this, but I'll probably get it at some point just to support Cyan.

What I really want is to explore Riven in a rift...

View PostFrigidman™, on 12 February 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Shame they couldn't just redo the entire set of games in a new engine hahahaha lots of work.

There's a Cyan-supported fan project remaking Riven in the UT4 engine, but I doubt it'll ever be completed.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3017 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostCougar, on 12 February 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

There's a Cyan-supported fan project remaking Riven in the UT4 engine, but I doubt it'll ever be completed.

Well, Riven is just one of five. I do include the fifth one as needing to be redone, as its graphics are very dated as well. URU Can't really be included in the set, but it could be if one was inclined to argue, but its graphics were pretty decent already.

But, oh, to see Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelations, all in full 3d glory of todays tech, would just... well... mmmmmmmm :sabber:

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15809 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

I haven't played Myst since the era it came out but watching Nagromme's side by side comparison video was as if I had never left the place.  It's uncanny how those memories stick in one's mind.  This needed so much memory on my 7100/66 that I had to take half the junk out of the system folder just to scavenge enough memory for the game.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 12 February 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

Well, Riven is just one of five. I do include the fifth one as needing to be redone, as its graphics are very dated as well. URU Can't really be included in the set, but it could be if one was inclined to argue, but its graphics were pretty decent already.

But, oh, to see Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelations, all in full 3d glory of todays tech, would just... well... mmmmmmmm :sabber:

Myst V uses the same engine as Uru. The graphics engine is fine. The game was rushed, though, and  the game could use some tweaks here and there (not to mention an intel patch.) The statue seagulls  in Noloben really bothered me.

Remakes of III and IV are less likely to happen as they weren't made by Cyan. They don't have the rights . They are trying to work out the legal mess to get them on Steam, so maybe something will happen someday.  But I think prerendered -with-360 degree look actually ages fine.

Anyway,  I want Cyan to devote their very limited resources to new stuff. They've been stuck in survival-mode with iOS releases and re-releases ffor far too long. Obduction can't come soon enough.

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3017 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, Obduction looks interesting so long as its not ALL plant-life-organic worlds and areas. I grow sick of walking through a forest all the time. I want to see hard structures, crystalline growths and clean smooth surfaces too. Something the Myst games did well was vary the locales. Hopefully their budget allows for variation as well from their pre-release teaser images.

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3310 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'm glad the series moved towards real-time graphics rather than the FMV slide show they used to have. I never got into that type of game in the past because I strongly prefer games that allow one to freely explore in real time. However, it seems to me that even with this update RealMyst doesn't match the same quality as the pre-rendered graphics made originally. Probably mostly because they targeted (now) older hardware with it.

To me looking at the screenshots\video it doesn't look like they've remodeled any of the in-game models. They've done some high res texturing work though which is nice. I realize that remodeling everything not as trivial as adding in graphic override stuff like bloom, depth of field, etc. I can do that pretty easily with Wine\Windows games using D3D\OpenGL graphics override dll's. Also, they probably want to keep the requirements down for tablets and a wide range of computers.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#11 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5239 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 February 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

I haven't played Myst since the era it came out but watching Nagromme's side by side comparison video was as if I had never left the place.  It's uncanny how those memories stick in one's mind.  This needed so much memory on my 7100/66 that I had to take half the junk out of the system folder just to scavenge enough memory for the game.
I played it on a Mac IIx.

Needless to say, going between scenes took about as long as actually walking there, so it was a very realistic experience for me. :P
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 1TB Crucial M550 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 nick68k

nick68k

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

I played the original on a Quadra 610 as a grad student in the lab in the evenings. I pottered around for a couple of weeks, never got very far into it. A German student arrived and completed the game within a couple of days. I never went back to it after that :lol:

#13 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2222 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:33 AM

View Postnagromme, on 12 February 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Here's a side-by-side with the older RealMyst (which I played on Mac ages ago). Some parts look better to me, some not (and I hear people aren't happy with the control changes--no way anymore to freelook without keeping the right mouse button held down? not trackpad-friendly if true):

The lighting in the unity version reminds me of the original myst. However in this comparison video, the masterpiece edition doesn't look like it has as detailed textures on some terrain and some 3D objects compared to the realMyst version.

But If it sells well enough to warrent another game then I want realRiven!
What is a man?