38 replies to this topic

#1 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

After a lot of hard work, blood and sweat....finally our game is ready to be introduced to the world. Can't feel prouder to introduce Hoopla Gems to all of you. This is our first game; first game for Frolicode and hopefully this is just the start of a long journey.

The game involves a combination of different colors and shapes. The player at every turn would need to chose the correct color for every situation depending upon the state of the grid. One wrong move would end the game for the player. The game has a lot of power ups with multiple twists and turns.

Here are some of the screenshots of the game :)

https://docs.google....6mBpTRKfs8/edit

https://docs.google....hVxO0YLDLw/edit

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

The screenshots appear to be inaccessible like this, but can be seen here.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 21 January 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

The screenshots appear to be inaccessible like this, but can be seen here.

Thanks a lot Jugger :)

#4 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

What kind of Ads are you ok with in the game?

Hello friends, we had a little confusion so thought about asking you all to help us out. Being a completely free game, we are planning to introduce ads in Hoopla Gems.

We have mainly two kind of ads to display, Banner Ads which come at the bottom of the screen during gameplay or Full page ads which would only come when the game ends or at the start of the game.

I am of the opinion that the game should have only Full Page ads and not Banner ads so that nothing is coming in between the gameplay. On the other hand, my friend is of the opinion to introduce Banner ads as well.

What do you guys suggest we should do? Should we go with Full Page Interstitials or only Banner ads? What is the ideal place to place these ads in the game? Any kind of suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks :)

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Banner ads irritate the hell out of me but Full Page ads that one can click through at the beginning and end of the game don't bother me at all.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

hmm....thanks for replying :) will be looking more into Full Page Ads....

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

I'm with tBC. I'd much prefer a 99 cent remove ads option, but failing that, I'll take a full page ad over a banner. There isn't an iOS app in existence that uses banner ads that's survived more than a week without getting deleted from my stuff.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

I think pretty much the same. Banner ads are simply annoying, but full page ads are also only tolerable in moderation. I spent some time with the (free) Google Play version of Bad Piggies on an Android tablet and that displays full page ads every time you (re-)start a level. This becomes annoying very quick.

Given the choice, I would always prefer a paid, ad-free version.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:35 AM

So what you guys are suggesting is to include a remove ads option where the player can pay a small amount to disable the ads....right?

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

View Postsidd4friends, on 24 January 2014 - 03:35 AM, said:

So what you guys are suggesting is to include a remove ads option where the player can pay a small amount to disable the ads....right?
Yup. I can't think of a good specific example right now, but I know there are a couple of free to download apps on the App Store that offer such an option as in-app-purchase.

#11 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

Another good advice i received on one of the groups was to enable ads only after the player has played the game for a number of times. This way the player would not be greeted with ads as soon as he has started playing the games....

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, definitely definitely include a remove iAds for a fee option. I don't know how much of the market I represent, but in my case, if I like an app enough to keep it and it has a 99 cent "remove ads" option, I will buy that every time. If ads are a permanent fixture and there is no way to remove them, then unless I LOVE the app it's guaranteed deletion at some point in the near future. If nothing else, I will look regularly for a competitor to replace it with.

Example: Hanno Rein's Exoplanet app. I thought the app was really interesting and I use it regularly, but after trying it for a couple days to know I liked it, the reason I kept it for sure was the 99 cent remove ads option. That made it significantly more compelling to me.

Attached Files

Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

Thanks a lot Frost for the amazing insight in ur experience...very helpful :)

#14 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

Introduction of different characters: Hoopla & Poopla in the game

Hoopla Gems would be featuring two unique brothers. Mr. Hoopla & Mr. Poopla. Born as twin brothers, they have very different personalities. Hoopla is there to help you in the game, make it easier for you whereas the arrival of Poopla would generally mean signal of doomsday.

We decided to introduce these two characters in the game as it would bring a unique twist to a puzzle game where the dynamics of the game can change for better or worse at any turn.

What do you think about these two characters? Do you like them, love them or simply hate them Do you think these kind of characters would work in a puzzle game? Please let us know your views as they (both the characters & your views) are extremely valuable to us :)

#15 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

The Hoopla & Poopla characters can be viewed here:

http://forums.macrum...02&d=1390911947

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

View Postsidd4friends, on 24 January 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

Another good advice i received on one of the groups was to enable ads only after the player has played the game for a number of times. This way the player would not be greeted with ads as soon as he has started playing the games....

Don't you think that introducing them later in the game is a sucker punch?  I do.  Not only that you are "punishing" people who were loyal.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 28 January 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Don't you think that introducing them later in the game is a sucker punch?  I do.  Not only that you are "punishing" people who were loyal.
Yeah, this. If you do that, I would be up front about it in the description. Something like, "Play ad free for X amount of time. After that, you have the option to remove iAds via in-app purchase."

Eric5h5:

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostFrost, on 28 January 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Yeah, this. If you do that, I would be up front about it in the description. Something like, "Play ad free for X amount of time. After that, you have the option to remove iAds via in-app purchase."
This.  Without the banner ads.  Gold.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 sidd4friends

sidd4friends

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hmm....you guys are right....we need to introduce ads but with the option of removing them....need to figure out a middle path....did u guys check out the character images that i posted :)

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:42 AM

View Postsidd4friends, on 28 January 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

Hmm....you guys are right....we need to introduce ads but with the option of removing them....need to figure out a middle path....did u guys check out the character images that i posted :)

Depending a bit on how the mechanics are actually implemented, what you described above for these two characters could give the game an interesting spin. The design is simple, but clear. But… "Poopla"? That sounds a bit like, well, poop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hoopla, gems, iphone game, ipad game, puzzle, strategy, game