Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:24 AM

Welp, as much as I love WebKit and have pushed TenFourKit and Leopard WebKit, it's time to admit defeat. TenFourFox just jumped from Firefox 17 to Firefox 24, and the results on PowerPC are magnificent. I mean my old PowerBook G4 is actually 95% functional for web usage again and my Quad G5 has much better overall compatibility with websites than with Leopard WebKit, even though Leopard WebKit still edges TenFourFox ever so slightly on overall speed. TenFourFox slaughters WebKit on a G4 though.

TenFourFox

Not to mention syncing my bookmarks has become a major pain as copying the Bookmarks file from Safari 7 and having it work perfectly with Safari 4 and 5 has not been going so well like with Safari 6. TenFourFox syncs up with Firefox's sync service and takes care of that problem.

Never thought I'd leave Webkit for Gecko, but it happened. I have officially converted over to using Firefox/TenFourFox primarily on everything except for Safari 7 on my MacBook Pro (which stays in sync with Firefox thanks to Apple's iCloud on Windows syncing with Firefox over there, and thus having backdoor communication with my PowerPC Macs through my gaming PC even though Mac to Mac syncing was broken. Most amusing).
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

I guess I spoke too soon. New stable version of Leopard WebKit is out and beats TenFourFox 24 pretty well for speed on a G5, although TFF still wins on keeping overall CPU usage low for the same tasks.

TenFourFox still wins by a mile on a G4, however, and retains the ability to sync bookmarks, passwords, forms, etc. between PowerPC Mac, Intel Mac, and Windows, which can't be undervalued. At least now there are two competing up-to-date browsers for PPC again, which is pretty cool.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

TenFourFox is now ahead of what I'm forced to deploy at work. We are still deploying ESR 17........ Yay supercrappysloweasytobreak vendor software.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

Thought you folks might like to know TenFourFox is now a port of Firefox 31 and currently on version 31.1.2, and it's a HUGE improvement once again, not only in compatibility, but in sheer speed. I mean we're talking web performance on a Quad G5 that is about on par with 2010-era Intel Macs speed. The TFF crew have outdone themselves on this one. If you've got a classic Mac, grab it.

Eric5h5:

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

New TenFourFox update out. 31.7.0 has dropped and it's got some amazing optimizations for G4s. Haven't noticed much difference on my G5, but my PowerBook is now running websites noticeably faster. It's gone from "usable but still so slow it's somewhat frustrating" to "usable and not very frustrating at all." It even handles a clusterfrak like eBay mostly okay except for the animation- and image-heavy front page.

Frost Seal of Approval granted.

Eric5h5:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Firefox, PowerPC, TenFourFox, Vintage Computing, Old Macs, PowerPC Supremacy