21 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

So i picked up Fable III during a Steam sale a while back (before they ran out of keys, lulz) and it has sat around unplayed while i played some other games.  So last night after i finished Assassin's Creed, i decided i'd take a break from the franchise and fire up some Fable 3.  Better late than never.  

Worst.  Port.  Ever.  

It maxes out my GPU instantly.  The GPU usage hits 100%, the temps climb into the 80s, the fans spin up to 100%, game goes berserk.  

It isn't giving me bad performance or anything - i get 200+ fps (it isn't even playable with Vsync on, as it stutters and chops) with nVidia's forced Vsync off, and a solid 60 with it on.  Doesn't matter what graphical details i turn on, shut off, tweak in the settings file, or force with nVidia's drivers, it still does it.  

Game is essentially unplayable because i cant stand to hear the GPU fan at 100% (most other games it never breaks 50c and the fans are barely audible) and dont want to cook my GPU.  

I have NO idea what is causing this.  When it launched, it had really bad performance.. .but no one reported what is happening on my rig.  I get great performance... with 100% GPU usage no matter what!

Erghh....

I want my money back.

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Which means you can play it. The Witcher chrashes every 5 minutes for me, and I know I am not the only one.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

The Windows version of The Witcher?  1 or 2?  Both were incredibly stable for me on every rig i played them on, stretching back to my 2006 Mac Pro.

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Mac version, Witcher 1.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

... well there's your problem right there... that "port" wasn't even a port.  It was a wrapper. Do notice that we're in the Windows forum, though.  If i were going to do a "worst port ever" Mac version contest, we'd have to go into Microprint.  It's why I abandoned Mac Gaming.  I wanted to not hate the world.

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

A port is a port no matter how they made it run in OSX.

#7 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

And is germane to Windows...... how?

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hmm. Thats too bad, cause Fable 3 was actually kind of decent on the PC. Granted it kinda stuttered for no good reason, but I guess its even worse since on mac :(

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

Only thing I can think of is trying wiping your graphics drivers and reinstalling. That sometimes works for weird graphical issues.Another roundabout way to still be able to play the game without raping your GPU would be to plug your screen into the mobo, and run off the HD4000 on your 4770k - yes it's not ideal, and yes your frame-rate and graphics will suck, but it is an option.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#10 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 15 December 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

... well there's your problem right there... that "port" wasn't even a port.  It was a wrapper. Do notice that we're in the Windows forum, though.  If i were going to do a "worst port ever" Mac version contest, we'd have to go into Microprint.  It's why I abandoned Mac Gaming.  I wanted to not hate the world.
For some reason I thought you actually played Mac games since you frequent this site but one learns something new every day. I know this is just me but if I abandoned Mac gaming I wouldn't presume to know how well all Mac ports run when I don't have any recent first hand experience of them. Also the "Windows" forum section here isn't on an entirely different site you know... and if Windows only gamers can comment on Mac stuff with Windows anecdotes here then so can vice versa.

Personally, I tend to gravitate towards communities where the subject I'm into is the main part of the web site title focus. Like when I stopped using 3Dfx hardware I stopped going to 3Dfx forums (not sections, FORUMS) where people where trying to keep support for it alive way past its usefulness date even to the point of emulating stuff in software and or disabling important features. I just felt like I had less and less in common with them day by day and people tend to have an "us vs them" attitude so even though Nvidia and ATI hardware had become superior by that point they still act like 3Dfx was superior in every way... (btw, Mac isn't yet at that point IMO but it someday might.. you never know.. and if Apple does something stupid like switch the Mac to ARM I'm jumping ship) But as I said, that's personally speaking so it's just me. If\when the time comes when I abandon Mac gaming I'd probably mostly just post at places like Rock Paper Shotgun and PC Gamer.

BTW, (for everyone else) newer versions of the Wine engine has made The Witcher more stable. I've even injected FXAA tool into it to add antialiasing and other screen effects improving upon the graphics. My only problem with The Witcher at this point is I never really got into it as a game. I got up to a certain point (the statue that has to be brought to life with a lightning rod) and didn't feel like playing much further. I've had bad experiences with Wine and I've had good great experiences with Wine.

Lastly, I had similar issues with Halo 2 Vista (in Windows of course, it's not possible to wrap Halo 2). Perhaps worse because in addition to the tepid stuttering performance I couldn't get it to set the screen resolution to my desired resolution without using third party hacking software. As far as I'm concerned Microsoft sees Windows as competition and wants to make it look bad on purpose with their own games. The only thing good about Halo 2 Vista as compared to say.. the Mac version of Halo 1 was it had true 5.1/7.1 surround support and Halo 1 Mac didn't.... (and it should have no it wasn't too old to have that sort of support).
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#11 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

Yeah im giving a clean install a try right now.

#12 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 15 December 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

For some reason I thought you actually played Mac games since you frequent this site but one learns something new every day. I know this is just me but if I abandoned Mac gaming I wouldn't presume to know how well all Mac ports run when I don't have any recent first hand experience of them. Also the "Windows" forum section here isn't on an entirely different site you know... and if Windows only gamers can comment on Mac stuff with Windows anecdotes here then so can vice versa.

Personally, I tend to gravitate towards communities where the subject I'm into is the main part of the web site title focus. Like when I stopped using 3Dfx hardware I stopped going to 3Dfx forums (not sections, FORUMS) where people where trying to keep support for it alive way past its usefulness date even to the point of emulating stuff in software and or disabling important features. I just felt like I had less and less in common with them day by day and people tend to have an "us vs them" attitude so even though Nvidia and ATI hardware had become superior by that point they still act like 3Dfx was superior in every way... (btw, Mac isn't yet at that point IMO but it someday might.. you never know.. and if Apple does something stupid like switch the Mac to ARM I'm jumping ship) But as I said, that's personally speaking so it's just me. If\when the time comes when I abandon Mac gaming I'd probably mostly just post at places like Rock Paper Shotgun and PC Gamer.

So people like Frost and I just should just leave, then?  

I still like the Mac as a platform for daily use computing and work.  I (mostly) like the community here.  I still do a lot of Mac-related stuff.  I just dont game on one (how could I?  Intel HD 3000 isn't exactly going to run a game at a framerate or detail setting id call "playable" - maybe if Apple stopped gimping their ~1300$ computers with integrated GPUs..) anymore because the support was terrible, the performance sub-par, and i found myself simply NOT playing games because i didn't want to have to reboot into Windows which was the only way i could get games to run at anything like an acceptable framerate, play with my friends (because they were actually playing the game when it came out, not 6-18 months later, and no cross-platform MP), and play games i actually wanted to play without spending hours fooling around with sub-par solutions like WINE.  

So i have a Mac (.... 4 of them, actually, still being actively used, in the house) and a gaming PC.  I posted this thread as a warning to other people - beware of the Fable 3 PC port - because i didnt want someone else potentially wasting their money.  That's why it's in the "Windows Gaming" section.  I also still keep hoping, beyond hope, that Apple will finally unbury it's head from it's nether-regions where gaming is concerned and actually ship a worthwhile, upgradeable machine with decent specs, instead of their current trend of totally-disposable, midrange-part consumer playthings.  Until then, though, I'm a two-computer man.  And actually, i'd probably still be a two-computer man.  The convenience of being able to type this during League loading screens and Assassin's Creed 2 cutscenes without having to alt-tab is pretty nice.  I'm probably never going to be a single-machine guy ever again.  

As for not liking the first Witcher - yeah, it was kinda tedious.  It took me three attempts to finish it, and i only did that because i really, really liked the fiction.  I'm glad i did in the end, and the second game was a lot better, somewhat clunky 3rd person melee combat notwithstanding.  

But i dont want to spend my time dinking around with WINE or Terribad Cider ports.   Nor do i want to leave a community that i've been part of for ... going on 12+ years now.  (Actually longer, as this is my second account because i totally forgot the credentials to the first one all that time ago).  

So despite your kinda snobbish "you should leave" comment, i'll be staying, thanks.

#13 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

Well you can do what you like. I'm not the boss of you. But, I'm sorry but I do find it kind of irritating when someone replies to me from a state of ignorance to the current state of how well games actually currently run with a particular platform which is in the name of the site. Also, I said personally speaking which means I'm talking about what I personally would do.. not you. I can make recommendations but I can't force you to do them. If you want to label me a snob or whatever you want to call me so be it. Doesn't change anything... you also don't have to like me.

BTW, I wouldn't classify Wine or even Cider as sub-par or terribad for absolutely everything or they need tons of "dinking" around with. It's just that their developers tend to have to chase a moving target with Windows API porting and the compatibility profile for Wine isn't the same for absolutely everything. I here only use that stuff for stuff it actually works well with without TONS of work. For example.. I'm currently not using it to run any UE3 games since the performance has been pretty crappy if they even run lately for me on my current rig. Those games are actually running for me a lot better in parallels right now. Also, I'm not telling you to use it (Wine) just that it's not that bad.. at least not for everyone.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 16 December 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

So people like Frost and I just should just leave, then?  
Well, I do still play Mac games, never stopped that. It's just none of my Mac hardware can play modern stuff effectively and Apple murdered my dreams of gaming on the 2013 Mac Pro once it turned out I'd have to spend $5000+ and get no storage space, no disc drive, no video output other than TBolt, and AMD-only GPUs (blech... give me GameStream, G-Sync, ShadowPlay, nVidia 3D, etc, thankyouverymuch). So new things get played on PC hardware, older things get played on both. :)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#15 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 16 December 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

Well you can do what you like. I'm not the boss of you. But, I'm sorry but I do find it kind of irritating when someone replies to me from a state of ignorance to the current state of how well games actually currently run with a particular platform which is in the name of the site.

The port in question is still broken.  You fixed it by replacing the wrapper, but for anyone who just tries to buy the game and play it (say... Thain) will play roulette with the "port" even working.  There are a plethora of people who haven't been able to get it to run at all.

#16 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

Actually all I did was use the handy dandy update the engine button that anyone can use and changed it to a newer engine that I downloaded with the handy dandy engine downloading function in the Wineskin winery. Stuff that just about anyone can do after a few minutes of googling and or looking at the Wineskin web site. I didn't replace the entire wrapper "from scratch"... (although I have done that with other games).

On the other hand... CD Projekt Red should be taking responsibility for their own wrapped game and update it themselves so they should shoulder the blame for people not being able to run it properly without having to do that kind of stuff. They also should have left the Wineskin cfg app in the wrapper so people wont have to copy it from another wrapper so people wouldn't think that it'd be a lot of work to fix it.

They could also put a "Heads Up this is a Wine Port" warning in the digital stores. In other words again, it's their fault.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#17 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

They'd have to know the game was even wrapped in the first place.  That's what you're consistently missing.  Most of the people here are pretty tech-savvy.  
Most consumers couldn't even tell you what Wineskin IS.  They would never even know that was an option.  Remember that, by our very nature (posting on an internet forum) we're already way outside the norm.  

Your experiences != the experiences of the average consumer who isn't interested in these kinds of things and isn't posting on an internet forum.  

Go read the reviews of the Witcher "port"; that should be illustrative enough.  A few hundred 1-star reviews with just the first few pages full of "it doesn't even work".  

Thats my point.  you got it working; Thain, who isn't a stupid person, obviously couldn't.  The port, in the raw/as offered when you purchase the game, is pretty shoddy and outright broken for a fair number of people.

#18 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

*Referrs you to my* previous post.. I just updated it.

Also Your experiences != others experiences could be applied to just about anything including what was going on with your game here.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#19 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 16 December 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Also Your experiences != others experiences could be applied to just about anything including what was going on with your game here.

Actually, it got pretty universally beaten up for being a god-awful port at just about every place on the internet from Anandtech, Toms Hardware, Steam, and everywhere else. You know what?  I don't even care anymore.  Off to find the ignore feature on this forum software.

#20 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

Click on your name up above in the IMG banner and click on "Manage Ignore Prefs" and add in my user name and good luck with that. You wont hear from me ever again good or bad. Hell I may as well do the same thing with you. Turnabout is fair play... although I generally never liked using ignore functions as they tend to leave holes in threads. I'm glad you can unhide posts if you wish.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said: