9 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

I have a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini (the slimline model) that i use as a Media Center, Printer Share, and Network Drive sharing device.  I have a 4-bay enclosure attached to it that currently has 2 bays filled with 4TB worth of drives.  

Recently the machine (which used to run 10.6) went down with a dead internal hard drive; when replacing it, since i couldnt force a boot from CD for whatever reason, i just went ahead and installed Mavericks from my USB installer, figuring it wouldnt hurt anything.  

Now, accessing the drive from my Windows Gaming PC is back-breakingly slow.  (I've got all the file sharing options turned on in OSX).  Previously, when the machine was running 10.6, i could connect to the external drives without a password (as they are shared to any user), and now it requires me to put the media center's account/pw in to connect...

and it is SLOW.   I backed up my Steam directory here before building the new rig, and didn't move all of the games over after putting the new machine up.  I decided to play some Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes today, and as those are both large installs, decided to just drag them over from the backup.  It took 10 minutes for the Windows machine to even be able to figure out how big the files were; it didnt evn start transferring data.  

It used to go just as fast as the network and USB2 interface would allow, with no perceptible lag.  Going from Mac to Mac works fine (i can drag large files from the Mini to my MBP no problem and they go as fast as the network and USB2 allow for), and like i said, previously Windows computers had no problems accessing the drive quickly.  This has cropped up since i "upgraded" the machine to Mavericks.  

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this?  The drive itself didn't change, only the OS on the Media Center Mini.  

It's very frustrating.  I jsut went ahead and transfered them via a 32GB thumb drive, but id like to get it fixed in the future, especially since i back up my Steam Folder and other user data (save game files and the like) to the externals regularly in case of HD failures.

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

You could try using OS X Server. It's available on the App Store and is apparently very  user friendly. It's meant for home use and small business. I don't have experience with it, but I've heard good things.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

I'm just puzzled as to why it worked fine under Snow Leopard but not Mavericks.  I wonder what they changed?  If i have to, i can just make a USB installer for Snow Leopard and go back to using that... but id like to avoid that if i can.

#4 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:41 AM

They did replace the SMB implementation in Mavericks so that might be the issue, check this: http://www.zdnet.com...xes-7000022519/

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ill give that a try and report back..

#6 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Didn't do a thing.  It took 32 minutes to "discover" an episode of Kung Fu: The Legend Continues i used as a test copy.  As in, it hadnt even started copying.. just trying to figure out what size it was.  It then took 90 minutes to copy a ~300MB file.

Something is definitely up.

Ill probably have to just give up and re-install Snow Leopard.  Other people in the house (my wife, our basement apartment tennant) also use the drive to back up stuff.  It needs to be accessible at reasonable speeds.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Try punching the Mac Mini.  One in the ol' breadbasket.  Give it a minute to try to get up then sucker punch it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:38 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 15 December 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

You could try using OS X Server. It's available on the App Store and is apparently very  user friendly. It's meant for home use and small business. I don't have experience with it, but I've heard good things.
Server is fantastic, although while making it easier, Apple also disappointingly made Lion-Mavericks Server less powerful than Leopard-Snow Leopard Server was.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

Would server be any less useful as a Media Center, though?  It does get used to watch or listen to a lot of content on the media center.  

Also, the problem appears to just be the Mini; i moved a file to my MBP via thumb drive, and enabled SMB/Windows File sharing (this machine is also running Mavericks) and it transfered in minutes.  (as fast the 5400 RPM drive in the MBP would allow).  

Hmm.

#10 latas

latas

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Within a Finder window , press cmd+k
When you see the popup window you can use smb://192.168.X.X/shared_folder to map your windows drive into your mac.
If you want to map a folder from other mac, then use instead afp://192.168.Y.Y/shared_resource

It should work.

Best regards.

View PostTetsuya, on 16 December 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Would server be any less useful as a Media Center, though?  It does get used to watch or listen to a lot of content on the media center.  

Also, the problem appears to just be the Mini; i moved a file to my MBP via thumb drive, and enabled SMB/Windows File sharing (this machine is also running Mavericks) and it transfered in minutes.  (as fast the 5400 RPM drive in the MBP would allow).  

Hmm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mavericks, Windows 7, Sharing