Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 26 December 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

I don't think I have a "Add friends" button under "Friends"? Neither on the website or in the application! Where exactly should it be located (Screenshot please!)?

Left for Dead 2 is free at the moment btw (Seems that Sneaky Snake is the only one on my Steam that doesn't have it yet, so heads up to him)

I was gone for Christmas. I thought about trying to get it where I was, but then I thought about it, and I probably won't ever play it, considering I have so many other games that I haven't even gotten to (Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls, etc.)
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#82 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostPhocid, on 30 December 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'm really angry at Steam. First of all I bought a game (Metro Last Light) from Mac Game Store and after I buy the game I find out that you have to play it on Steam. When I get to the Steam site I find the game which I payed $39 at the Mac Game Store costs $27 from Steam! O, well, that's life. But that's not the worst: when I go to launch the game I get this little box that says "Preparing to launch game..." and it's stuck there. Sometimes after 15 or 20 minutes the game comes on, sometimes it just times out. This happens more often than not. You can't believe how annoying that is. I've paid for the game, I've got the game, and I can't play it! I'm assuming that the Steam server is just overloaded, but if anyone knows any way around this I'd like to hear it. They should have planned for peak usage. Otherwise I'm just going to say: Why is there Steam anyway if it's down half the time. I suppose it's like asking "Why are there wombats?" A store that keeps track of our purchases, okay, I get it. But it's like they want to run our lives like big government. All the time I wrote this post the little box is there on my desktop doing nothing. (Not to mention the crappy web design of the steam client). I feel I was suckered by a bait and switch, and sold a product that unusable half the time. I should get half my money back. By the way, I like the game, if only I could get to play it.

This doesn't sound like a Steam issue at all, at least, not with the servers.  It sounds like the game executable (since it is likely a poorly-wrapped Wineskin) is hanging.  The "preparing to launch" happens on PC, too - that's what happens when Steam has told the executable to run.  It will stay there until the application/game does actually start.  I've had a few PC games hang and had the same result you're reporting.  It's not a Steam problem, but most likely a problem with the game just failing to launch.

#83 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:40 AM

I can say without a doubt that Metro Last Light was native, not wrapped. They also used that version to port it to Linux apparently. If it where wrapped the options menu would have been 1:1 to the Windows version but it's not. Personally speaking I played through the entirety of Metro Last Light without a problem here. But I realize that's anecdotal.

Also, it's possible for a game to not be wrapped and still have problems on some people's computers. Bioshock Infinite for example was pretty crashy at higher than low settings for quite a while and even now randomly crashes every now and then (although it's a lot more rare than it used to be.. not enough to make me want to lower the settings again). I've noticed it's also possible for Mafia II to crash every once in a while too. Other games like the Batman games on the other hand I haven't ever seen crash *knocks on wood*.

It's possible for Steam to hang on "preparing to launch" not because of the game itself being badly ported but yes... because of network traffic or at the very least take longer than it's supposed to. Especially if one has stuff like torrents downloading in the background and or there's too much traffic. I have to admit Steam isn't perfect and can have problems at times. I here tend to close all network hogs like transmission and such before I try to play a game on Steam. Yes, it shouldn't be necessary but there you go.

On the other hand If someone is constantly having issues with that there's something screwy going on in their computer setup and or on their network as that shouldn't be a "more often than not" type problem. I did a quick google search of this problem and the only thing so far I can see that can possibly apply to on Mac is to verify the game cache. The other suggestions I see in the first article that I came up with are Windows specific (making sure your DirectX, dotnet, Windows Service Packs, etc.) are up to date. Valve recommends those same things and what I mention earlier... closing any background apps that might interfere with Steam...

Basically:
  • Make sure your software is up to date
  • Verify game cache
  • Close any apps that might interfere
Are the standard suggestions. Barring those suggestions not helping others might suggest reinstalling Steam.

Also, a suggestion for any games that one might have in their Steam library that they ultimately didn't care for. Yes, you can't delete them from your library completely. However you can put them in a category of their own and collapse that category so you don't have to see them in your list at least. Categories get synced to the cloud so you don't have to redo them on every computer environment you have.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#84 Phocid

Phocid

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Thanx for the suggestions. I have a new computer, 8GB RAM and 2GB graphic card and when the game loads it runs great. I can't see any variables when it loads and when it doesn't. Feels like a server problem. And it's the holiday season when you'd expect a lot of players online. Only I wish there was some way of being sure. Restarting Steam seemed to work, but when I tried to open it again I got the same old problem...when I went to shut it down it tried to sync to the cloud and got stuck at that. I think the server's overloaded.

#85 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Here's something I have to admit is a drawback to digital distribution in general (not just steam).... publishers can pull their games from availability to purchase at any time... Just to be clear they've pulled the games from PSN and XBL as well.

http://www.polygon.c...sted-from-steam

This happens on video sites more often than on video game sites... for example Hulu has their videos set to expire at defined dates. Previous to that I used to use my local cable companies "On Demand" video service in their cable box which was a lot like a streaming video service and they used to pull titles periodically.

Anyway, presumable everyone who has already purchased those games such as Deadpool and X-Men Origins Wolverine on Steam get to keep them in their library but for now new people can't purchase digitally distributed copies. Here I don't have Deadpool yet but I have Wolverine as a physical retail copy and installed in Parallels. I liked that Wolverine game in particular. As far as comic book games go the Batman games are plainly better. But I hope Disney republishes it some time. There's of course all the other Marvel IP games affected by this such as all the Spider-Man and the rest of the X-Men games.

I wouldn't put it past them to do this with all the Star Wars games as well. I just hope they don't make their own games store... although that seems likely to me.. I mean it's DISNEY after all. :P

With cloud gaming services like Onlive if they pulled a game like that you would lose access to it completely, period full stop until their contingency plan.

Actually, to be fair physical copies of games can be pulled from retail stores too. Or ceased to be produced so the remaining copies are the only ones left and after that there's no more.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#86 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 01 January 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

presumable everyone who has already purchased those games such as Deadpool and X-Men Origins Wolverine on Steam get to keep them in their library
Unless it's Order of War. There was also a Stargate game entirely or mostly based on multiplayer, and didn't have a third-party server list or servers, so when the developer went under they took the whole game with them, even though you technically kept it if you bought it. GOG is better about that, since they seem to include it in the contract from the beginning and they're not dumb enough to let the dev make an end-run like that.

#87 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

On the other hand since their multiplayer had no third party servers then it really doesn't matter where you purchased it now does it? Either way with their servers going kaput and there being no alternative for playing it you can't play it, right?
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#88 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

The original Fallout games (everything before 3) got pulled from GOG not to long ago (few days?), due to a licensing issue. They won't be back for purchase. This isn't really an issue with digital distribution though. If anything digital distribution vastly extended to time period in which you can buy those games conveniently.

The main issue, like bobbob pointed out, is when dev's use either horrible DRM, so that when the pull the servers for the DRM, you can't play your single player game, or issues related to the dev's services being the only ones offered for all online services, with no option for replacement when the dev's went to take the servers down.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#89 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3778 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 01 January 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

The original Fallout games (everything before 3) got pulled from GOG not to long ago (few days?), due to a licensing issue. They won't be back for purchase. This isn't really an issue with digital distribution though. If anything digital distribution vastly extended to time period in which you can buy those games conveniently.
Phew, I just had to go see if they also pulled them for people who already had bought them! Fortunately they hadn'.t.. :)

Sad though.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#90 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 01 January 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

They pulled Fallout??

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click*

Wow, they did pull Fallout. Looks like it's pulled from Steam too. If Bethesda doesn't put them back eventually, that's huge bullpopsnizzle.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#91 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Being late for the bandwagon has finally worked for me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#92 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

How's that? People who already got it still have access; it's only people who never got it and want it that are out of luck. ;)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#93 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

They were giving them all away for free for the last couple days they had them. Being late worked very well for you ;)

#94 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

I still plan on missing bandwagons.  I prefer to walk.  You see, I'll wake up some day in the near future and go about my day.  Meanwhile, The Button having been pushed at Sinister Thingies Inc, all of you who downloaded Fallout will wake up that day as an electronic zombie.  Slavering mindless drones doing the bidding of your Masterminds who seek to rule the world.  The real game will be me unloading ordinance all over you, setting up my plant and tower defenses, and burning the bodies by night for biofuel.  Plus I get what's in your wallets... unless it's a rubber then that stays and gets burned with you.  If you Fallout guys don't mind, I'd appreciate it if from now on you carried concert and sports tickets in your wallets at all times.  And cash, carry lots of cash.  And a photo of your girlfriend with her number on the back.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#95 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:44 AM

Well... I had no interest in it back when it was only for Windows or the way you had to always be online back then to play your offline games. By the time I decided to take a look at it... any username I cared to try was already taken... and given I was already not overly interested in it, that's how I never bothered with it. My games all comes from the MacGameStore, Mac App Store or GOG.