Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 09 December 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Oh, i know about Steam being open in the background in the system tray; i thought you were saying you had to open up the steam client and run them that way no matter what.  

We were talking about two slightly different scenarios.

Well either way the steam client has to be open and running in the background but no you don't have to launch the game directly from Steam on the Mac version either. You can use "shortcuts".... which in the Mac's case comes in the form of small .app bundles that just act as launchers.

Is the having-to-launch-the-client thing a Mac Steam thing?

Did sound an awful lot like you where asking if having to have Steam running to play a Steam game a Mac thing though.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#22 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

No, i was asking if you had to launch into the client to play.  I've never had to launch the steam client on windows; the service starts immediately at bootup - its completely transparent, with no action taken on my part, and, therefore, i dont even notice that Steam is there most times unless i actually double-click the client because i maybe want to purchase a new game.   I imagine you could set Steam to launch on log-in in OSX and achieve the same results.

#23 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

You answered your own question.. You can set Steam to launch with OS X (it's even there in the Steam Mac options and can be done manually in system preferences to any app).... With the caveat that it'll always be in your dock as you can't run it in the menubar like one can run it in the system tray in Windows or Linux as I explained earlier. No matter the OS the client has to be launched in order to play but in Windows and Linux it can reside in the system tray\menubar but not on Mac. Being in the system tray counts as launched even if it was launched at startup by Windows. If you look in your task manager you'll find steam.exe open.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#24 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Steam option to be a menubar app would be nice.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#25 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

I don't know when this happened but I noticed they fixed the skin chooser in Steam for Mac it now lists all installed skins and lets you choose them and automatically restart steam with the new skin. I was previously manually editing the steam "registry" file to switch skins. This is no longer necessary.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#26 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 December 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

Steam option to be a menubar app would be nice.
Ew.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#27 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

How dare he ask for options, eh? Options are bad... mmmkay.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#28 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

One thing I actually really like about Steam on Windows (and why I kinda live by only caring about games that are steam enabled)... is Steam knows when you need something to run the game, and installs it.

Like, I just re-installed Win7 from ground up (but kept my steamapps library)... launching a game it will install any missing VC++ package it needs, or DX package and so forth.

Before, by going stand alone, it seemed I had to go hunt down the right things needed, or the stuff on the 'dvd' was wrong, or would install something old over something new. Was such a nightmare everytime installing or launching a game. However Steam just seems to know what to do to make a game run (now wether the game runs GOOD or not, is beyond steam's ability lol).

But none of the above really applies to Steam on a MAC. Which leads to 'what good is steam on a mac' (other than sales and achievements)?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

It seems to me Steam opened the floodgates on affordable Mac games.  Before Steam, buying a 10 year old Mac game cost the same as the day it was released.  For the first time I've been inundated with more Mac games than I can play, because others had to compete.  

I like Steam by the way, I've liked it since the day I installed it and downloaded my first game.  I haven't had any problems with it, works great for me on my system.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

I would like a menubar option as well
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#31 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Steam is the best thing to happen to Mac/PC gaming in, well, a long time/ever. I would love to know sales figures.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#32 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 December 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

But none of the above really applies to Steam on a MAC. Which leads to 'what good is steam on a mac' (other than sales and achievements)?

Just because having to load up a bunch of dependencies automatically isn't nessasary on Mac (not MAC.. that's Media Access Control or the cosmetics company and also, it's a GOOD thing to not have to do that (load VC++, DirectX, dotnet etc.).. the only time one has to do that on a Mac is when they use wrappers, virtualization or Bootcamp) doesn't mean Steam is trivialized on Mac. Steam has caused some companies to consider the Mac that wouldn't have before (it gave a shot in the arm to both Mac/Windows/and now perhaps Linux). It pioneered the buy once download to Windows or Mac model... which now can be three ways.. Mac, Windows or Linux. Hardly any other companies can claim that except perhaps GoG who started doing their thing AFTER Steam and who again hardly carry any new games at all much less native Mac games. Also they where one of the first digital distribution stores of their kind even on Mac (the Mac version predates the Mac App Store by about a year)... so it's like they helped pave the way.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#33 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

I have to chime in that the access to so many games for Mac is one of the strengths of Steam in addition to the regular sales. Sure, it's not the only place to buy and download games, but it's a strong set up withe a community. It's always been tough to find Mac games in big box stores and even online. I used to prefer hard copies, especially with the idea that I could sell them on eBay or wherever.

#34 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

You all know that Steam has a far lesser sized Mac game library than the Mac Game Store... which has been the one to pave the way for digital releases on the Mac? ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#35 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

You do know that if a game is on Steam then you still have to register and download it on Steam even if you buy it at a third party store. Thus the complainers who didn't realize that.

I rarely buy games from the Mac Game Store to be frank. There's not a lot there that I'm interested in I haven't bought direct from the publisher (such as Feral) or from Steam. Same thing goes for the Mac App Store. The exception being Assassin's Creed Brotherhood which I bought on the Mac Game Store. But the Mac Game Store has only a subset of the features that Steam has.

You could also make a claim that digital piracy paved the way for digital distribution.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#36 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Lots of people buy Steam games on MGS because they are either on sale, can earn reward points, and, well, like to support us. We're not anti-steam....we're Mac friendly :)
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#37 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

I tend to be promiscuous with my Mac game purchases in order to try and keep all these options around. I've had good deals from Steam, MGS, GOG and Feral direct. Occasionally I've used the Mac App Store too for a special deal but The delta updates don't always seem to work so it isn't my first choice for larger titles.

The MGS client is a lot more responsive than Steam for me although Steam has improve in recent months. Oddly I get slower downloads direct from Feral despite being in the same country.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#38 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 December 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

You all know that Steam has a far lesser sized Mac game library than the Mac Game Store... which has been the one to pave the way for digital releases on the Mac? ;)

I'm not surprised. All those puzzle games, right? ;)  I do buy games from MGS, promise. I go with price and selection. Sometimes I buy something from the Apple store, though it often has the worst prices.

#39 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 December 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

One thing I actually really like about Steam on Windows (and why I kinda live by only caring about games that are steam enabled)... is Steam knows when you need something to run the game, and installs it.

Like, I just re-installed Win7 from ground up (but kept my steamapps library)... launching a game it will install any missing VC++ package it needs, or DX package and so forth.

Before, by going stand alone, it seemed I had to go hunt down the right things needed, or the stuff on the 'dvd' was wrong, or would install something old over something new. Was such a nightmare everytime installing or launching a game. However Steam just seems to know what to do to make a game run (now wether the game runs GOOD or not, is beyond steam's ability lol).

But none of the above really applies to Steam on a MAC.
:: wonders if SpaceChem still tells you to manually install a library before it will run ::

#40 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

I also rarely buy games from GoG because like I've said. Most of their games tend to be old or wrapped... or both. For people who can't be bothered to DIY or have a strong taste in the classics that's fine though. Mostly I don't just buy from one place. I've bought games from all the major outlets before including all those I've said I rarely buy from. :cool: I've around a dozen titles on GoG and about a handful from MGS right now. There also just tends to be not a lot for me to actually you know.... buy (that I'm interested in). And like for example since Feral still doesn't put all their games on Steam and I want them sooner than later I buy direct from them.

Also, you can't trivialize Steam in favor of MGS because to be honest Steam has more worldwide mindshare amongst developers who ended up considering porting or having their games ported to the Mac because of Steam. I understand having loyalty to the "home team" so to speak but as far as digital distribution for games goes Steam is the biggest fish in the pond. There are quite a few developers who wouldn't have even made PC versions of their games if it hadn't been for Steam. Gabe Newell has even courted Japanese developers to bring their games to Steam and there's been a resurgence of games from publishers like Konami because of that. Also fighting games like Injustice Gods Among Us, Mortal Kombat, Tekken vs Street Fighter, King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition, etc. that probably wouldn't have happened without Steam. Hopefully that'll someday trickle over onto the Mac side of things. It might sooner to the Linux side though because you know... SteamOS.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said: