If you thought the "iOS'ification" of OS X was bad...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Microsoft is doing no better... first they had metro and the start screen which is arguably worse than the full screen app functions in Lion-Mavericks. Now they are going to unify Windows, Xbox One and Windows Mobile.

A couple of my contacts have confirmed that Microsoft Executive Vice President Terry Myerson recently mentioned the Threshold codename in an internal email about plans for his unified operating-system engineering group.
If all goes according to early plans, Threshold will include updates to all three OS platforms (Xbox One, Windows and Windows Phone) that will advance them in a way to share even more common elements.
(The codename Threshold, for those wondering, derives from the planet around which the first halo ring orbited in the original Halo game launched back in 2001. Threshold joins "Cortana," Microsoft's answer to Siri, as yet another codename with its origins in the Xbox franchise.)
From what I've heard, Threshold doesn't refer to a single Windows OS -- not even the expected, converged hybrid comprised of the Windows Phone OS and Windows RT. Instead, the codename refers to the wave of operating systems across Windows-based phones, devices and gaming consoles.

BTW When I use Windows 8 (in parallels) I used a few applications to make it more comfortable for me such as:

https://www.stardock...ucts/modernmix/ This allows you to optionally put metro apps into a window or full screen as you wish.

https://www.stardock...roducts/start8/ To have a Windows 7 or below style start menu

and

https://www.stardock...s/windowblinds/ to have any  kind of UI theme I want including Mac style ones...

I used to use a Mac style menubar app (and Dock) in Windows XP but it doesn't work so well in 8 so I've been sticking to the task bar and start menu instead. I could probably still use the dock apps for Windows but they'd be redundant with the task bar.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

Haha. Hahaha. HAHAHahahaha.

Personally I think the whole Windows 8 "commonly seen screen in all ads and tv shows" is the worst thing to happen to personal computing since ... uh ... *ponders* ...

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

For God's sake. They've already made looking at photos and documents in Windows a bloody nightmare. Must they do it to the whole thing now?
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

Yes. It is Steve Ballmer's way of saying, "Goodbye, I love you all" to the computing world.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#5 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Ah, I knew there was a reason why I only use OS X anyway ...
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

Windows 8.1 really isn't to bad IF you have a touchscreen. It's not great, and not that intuitive, but you can see what they were going for. Without a touchscreen the OS makes no sense. The new start menu is terribad for kb/m users. Thankfully options such as ClassicShell (free - gets the job done) and Start8 (paid - a little nicer aesthetically the feature wise) are available to return to a Windows 7 style UI, and never see the Metro UI again.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#7 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

Well, I use it in parallels and with the right theme and third party software reenabling some old features it's not bad at all (as you mentioned). They just aren't doing any better than Apple is when it comes to the appropriateness of new features for desktop usage in fact I'd once again say they are doing worse. Also some of the design of some of the dialog windows such as copying files is a step backwards no matter what. Looks rather ugly no matter what theme is applied.

However, I heard in 8.2 they are bringing back some of those features without the need for third party software so there's that.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 17 December 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Well, I use it in parallels and with the right theme and third party software reenabling some old features it's not bad at all (as you mentioned). They just aren't doing any better than Apple is when it comes to the appropriateness of new features for desktop usage in fact I'd once again say they are doing worse. Also some of the design of some of the dialog windows such as copying files is a step backwards no matter what. Looks rather ugly no matter what theme is applied.

However, I heard in 8.2 they are bringing back some of those features without the need for third party software so there's that.

I think Windows 8.1 was a huge step forward over 7 in almost every way other then the UI. Windows 8 has substantial performance increases over 7. It has more features and information for power users in the explorer and task manager. If you install Start8 its UI is identical to 7's, but with all under the hood improvements of 8.

Speaking to OS X. I know there's a lot of people on here who aren't a fan of where the OS is headed, but personally I love the OS X design direction. They seem to have the focus on making the data between my iPhone and Mac universal, with no need to sync or move files around.  That said, I really don't have any need for backwards compatibility with old applications, so when new versions of OS X break old apps it doesn't bother me, but I understand how that would be extremely frustrating for those who use older apps. OS X has been adding a lot of convenience features such as better notifications, iMessage implementation, better app store, etc. but also performance increases, especially the battery improvements that Mavericks brought. My old retina Macbook Pro lasted a full 1.5-2 hours longer in Mavericks then it did in Mountain Lion.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#9 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 17 December 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

...Windows 8 has substantial performance increases over 7...

Something I wish Apple would pay more attention to. Windows performance is "overall" way better than OSX in day to day tasks.

I use a Core i5 MacBook Pro at work, and I run Windows 8 in a VM (using VMWare). While the integration is incredible, once any OS starts swapping, responsiveness crumbles. However, in most cases, Win8 is much more snappy than OSX. Opening application in OSX still feels like a misery : for unknown reasons for time to time opening an application will take several seconds.

#10 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostiRolley, on 17 December 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Something I wish Apple would pay more attention to. Windows performance is "overall" way better than OSX in day to day tasks.

I use a Core i5 MacBook Pro at work, and I run Windows 8 in a VM (using VMWare). While the integration is incredible, once any OS starts swapping, responsiveness crumbles. However, in most cases, Win8 is much more snappy than OSX. Opening application in OSX still feels like a misery : for unknown reasons for time to time opening an application will take several seconds.

I'm sure this depends on the hardware in question. Everything in both OSX and Windows 7 is instant on my machine with a SSD and 16GB RAM.

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

I do all my work on my Mac, instead of my Win 7 machine... because the mac feels far more snappy in everything that isn't a game. Of course, I am still using the good ole 10.6.8 OSX, so that may be why it feels so solid and snaptastic ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#12 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't have problems with sluggish app loading on my main rig running Mavericks here. My 2009 iMac which I have my parents use also doesn't have any problems either with the same OS. They both have over 10GB of system RAM though.

I do have crumbly responsiveness on my G4 Mac Mini using the last PPC compatible OS X revision (10.5.8). Also, at the time I ignored it but I keep it off most of the time now because it's a goddam wind tunnel even when I'm not doing much with it.

In other words I don't think this is a case of anything < 10.6 being crap.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#13 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

I think your Mac side of things has some pretty bad corruption going on, or maybe you have a billion menu bar apps open at once trying to do something. Windows 8 is miles faster then Windows 7 for virtually every task, but in my experience on my laptop, Mavericks absolutely crushes Win8 in performance (other then gaming obviously). You can tell how much more efficient OS X is compared to Windows by seeing how much battery life you get on a full charge. In Mavericks I could get 5 hours on my old retina MBP. When booted in Windows 8.1 I'd get about 3 hours. This is also evidenced by the new Macbook Airs. In OS X Mavericks they get a solid 10+ hours of battery life, sometimes up to 15. The absolute best battery life windows ultrabooks get about 8 hours on max charge.

Obviously it's expected that OS X would be a lot more efficient then Windows, since there's maybe only a few dozen tops hardware configerations that can run Mavericks, where as Windows has to support virtually inifinite hardware configerations. A higher level of optimization in OS X is inevitable.

The only slow experience I have in OS X is when I go to File>Open in an application. It will occasionaly hang for a solid 10+ seconds while it tries to load my file information. It should be instant, as it is just opening a finder window displaying my pictures or documents folder (and it's running on an SSD). Several of my family members have experienced the same thing. We all have [had] retina MBP's, so not sure if it's unique to that machine.