Anyone play Call of Duty Ghosts?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 monokitty

monokitty

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

It appears to have received generally pretty critical reviews (in comparison to previous CoD titles), but it looks appealing to me, particularly the campaign gameplay (Riley the dog!) and Extinction co-op mode. If only it was coming to the Mac so I wouldn't be forced into Windows. Unlike BF4, Ghosts should actually run on my Mac decently based on my research.

Anyone picking this title up?
MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB, + Mavericks

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

From what I've read, it doesn't really bring anything new to game at all (less so then even previous COD's did). Your essentially buying a $60 map-pack, and reviewers are starting to notice that.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

A Map pack that actually takes the game backwards, from most of the reviews.  The perks system and class/leveling system are all inferior to the previous two games by most accounts.  

Im not surprised.  And the frame-by-frame ending comparison between Ghosts and CoD MWF2 has to be seen to be believed.  Its funny as all get out.

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Nope, haven't played Dead Horse Beating: Ghosts yet.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 20 November 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

From what I've read, it doesn't really bring anything new to game at all (less so then even previous COD's did). Your essentially buying a $60 map-pack, and reviewers are starting to notice that.

View PostTetsuya, on 21 November 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

A Map pack that actually takes the game backwards, from most of the reviews.  The perks system and class/leveling system are all inferior to the previous two games by most accounts.  

Im not surprised.  And the frame-by-frame ending comparison between Ghosts and CoD MWF2 has to be seen to be believed.  Its funny as all get out.
Well, they are finally get wise to all this huh? I called it back when MWII was released. Maybe I was being too cynical, pessimistic and discounting the changes that may have actually been brought to the game. I played some of the SP and learned up about the MP. I could not even be bothered finishing the campaign, as it felt like basically the same thing again, but with strawberry jam (on-screen blood) and a few other boring things thrown into the mix.

When I saw a video of someone playing a whole mission of COD BLOPS without firing a single shot, needless to say, I was not at all surprised. By MWIII, I felt that it was all so much map packing (yes, it is a word now) and endless DLC come full games that did not deserve what they were given: full praise by the gaming community and journalists and the highest record in profit of any entertainment material of any medium ever.

Anyway, if you really want to play the MW series, I would suggest buying MWII/III for the MP or even COD BLOPS II (which is supposed to be quite good, considering) and look to a game series that actually deserves to have a single-player part, as this franchise certainly does not.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#6 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

I just purchased Ghosts through a Steam sale. Its immediately more taxing on my system than BlackOps2 and feels less polished. The audio is horrible. There's an Audio Slider but no audio options like BlackOps2 and those settings make a heck of a difference... by far is the highest I have to turn my speakers for any game! You'll need around 66GB for a full install... the last single player CoD campaign I played through was Modern Warfare (CoD4) otherwise they're the same garbage, Battlefield 4's single player is a lot more well thought out.

As for multiplayer, I find myself getting wiped on the floor a lot but these people have been playing since day one and have nothing but time to play the hell out of their games. The maps are a lot more multi-layered and will take some time to get used to and memorize. Most CoDs before ghosts were an almost level playing field in comparison... consider if CoD maps were crossed with Battlefield maps... that's how most Ghost maps feel– you can get attacked from almost anywhere and if you don't keep moving, even if you're camping, you will get dug out of your hole...

Ultimately, yes, I got extra maps for $40. Also it's more taxing on my hardware than BlackOps2 is. I've been fiddling with the settings for two days now to try to find something I like that offers the best visuals with smooth gameplay.

If it's not on sale I would not suggest picking it up. It doesn't feel as smooth as Battlefield 4 or BlackOps2, either.

EDIT: After putting in a few more hours in multiplayer I admit that I'm enjoying this a bit more than BlackOps2. The SMGs are genuinely weaker (spray sniping appears to be gone with this class) and as I've seen reviewers comment on YouTube videos, regular assault rifles are easier to haul around and aim with. The maps also force you to use more tact, they're quite honestly the most complex map set of the franchise.

So far, unlike with previous renditions of CoD, I don't see someone running around with a silenced SMG making highest scores by default and making effort as far as tactics go appears to pay off.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#7 ScandinavianStar

ScandinavianStar

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

Nobody should buy this for PC it only runs well on consoles. Battlefield still dominates on PC even though the latest one have so many problems. I´m from Sweden som I obviously blame EA for all the problems =)

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'm playing BF4 on my PS4. It's really quite a good game. I like it better then BF3 - the maps especially.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB