OS X 10.9 Mavericks released, thoughts anyone?

OS X 10.9 Mavericks OS Mac

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 07 January 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

BTW, it's possible to shut off app nap for certain applications. It's there in the get info window.
I know. That's what I did.

About the printer... I have a network printer too. I wasn't talking about local printing. My printer is even a Wi-Fi one which one would think would have an even worse problem with that since Wi-Fi is generally regarded as being less reliable than wired.
Windows printer server? Because that's what most people (including me) seem to have the problems with.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#42 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 07 January 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Windows printer server? Because that's what most people (including me) seem to have the problems with.
I seemed to have missed when you mentioned this before. I apologize if you did and I glossed over it. No not "windows printer server"....
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#43 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

One more thing about Mavericks: it's actually the first time I come into contact with the notorious Apple Maps (having successfully avoided iOS 6 & 7 so far). That's what I got when trying out it's satellite view:
Posted Image
If you think that's a glitch or something (like I did first): no, it isn't. This is actually what the satellite pictures of the area around my town look like. (Look for Münster, Germany, if you want to witness that train wreck yourself…)

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#44 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2480 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Dumb question, but how do I upload a screenshot? I have my own favorite Apple Maps snafu I'd like to share.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#45 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Please Matt, here at IMG we firmly believe that there is no such thing as a stupid question.  A question is always just another question, neither smart nor dumb.  We have long since determined that it is always the asker of the question who is stupid.

Just above the text box you type your reply into, there is a little square greenish icon.  Just mouse over the icons in the line starting with "B I U" and you will get a small descriptive text that says "image", click on that icon and follow the directions.

If the image is not online then activate the full editor by clicking on the "More Reply Options" button on the bottom right under the reply text box.  When that opens you will see under the reply text box the "Attach Files" section with a big paperclip.  First click "Choose File" and follow the directions.  Then click "Attach This File", the graphic will appear as an attachment where the cursor is currently located in the reply text box.

Add reply when ready.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#46 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2480 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

> We have long since determined that it is always the asker of the question who is stupid.

Thanks. I did see the URL option but I figured I'd probably remove the source image from my dropbox at some point, and then where would be be?

Then there's the My Media button, which gives me the option to insert items from your media library, gloriously unburdened by the ability to actually put anything in my media library in the first place.

Finally there's More Reply Options (thanks for the tip) but it restricts my total uploads to an impractical 1 megabyte.

I'm no longer convinced that the asker of the question is quite the stupidest thing here. :-)

#47 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2480 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Here's my favorite Apple Maps snafu. The screenshot is self-explanatory, thanks to the lettering on the roof of the stadium.

Posted Image

Their search function does find the arena, but the label is wrong. Sadly, I reported this one when Apple Maps was first released for iOS, and again a month or two ago, and they've made no move to fix it. So don't waste your time submitting corrections to Apple.

(This does raise a question, which is what is the deal with putting lettering on the roof of the stadium? Are they branding themselves for satellite photos and airplane passengers?)

#48 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 11 January 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Their search function does find the arena, but the label is wrong. Sadly, I reported this one when Apple Maps was first released for iOS, and again a month or two ago, and they've made no move to fix it. So don't waste your time submitting corrections to Apple.
:lol: Give them some break: that arena changed its name only three years ago. You can't expect them to keep up with that.

(This does raise a question, which is what is the deal with putting lettering on the roof of the stadium? Are they branding themselves for satellite photos and airplane passengers?)
Pretty much. There seems to be a certain trend here. I have actually seen something similar also on some company headquarters' roofs.

#49 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Recently Google maps had a snafu where they picked historical names for a plaza in Berlin.

#50 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2480 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 January 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

I have actually seen something similar also on some company headquarters' roofs.

Or maybe the corporate bigwigs want to make sure their helicopter lands in the right place. All those roofs look pretty much the same. :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OS X, 10.9, Mavericks, OS, Mac